topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 834260 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2007, 11:17 AM »
One thing I realize from looking at the list of suggestions on the sqlnotes site is that the name SHOULD be descriptive of what the software does
But when a software does so much, that is so difficult to categorize, how can you convey that in a word or two. An arbitrary word (i.e. Zoho, Joomla or whatever) may be better
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2007, 11:33 AM »
I still like Outline Commander (yes, I'm quite narcissistic).
It has a professional quality.  It pays homage to the initial purpose of the program (outlining) even though it does much more now.  The "Commander" name has a good reputation in the software world.  People will start calling it OC (maybe that's bad!).

The non-descriptive names always seemed weird to me.  I think those names work better for geekier software aimed at hardcore computer people who get a kick out of that sort of thing.  I don't know, maybe it's just me, but those names just sound silly and ultimately just make me do research on the web to figure out what it does.  I feel the name should be somewhat descriptive.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #302 on: December 18, 2007, 12:35 PM »
Before choosing one it's always good to see as many possibilities as possible...

I don'T have any time right now but how about names that'll make smile too ? Or have some funny connotations ?? or...

like :

DataKebab
tabuladata
OutofDataExperience (ODE)
NearDataExperience (NDE)
GridMind
Griddler
Date-Nut Outliner
Datability
infoswiveler
EATKSynthesis
CleanYourMess

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2007, 12:42 PM »
Good point, Pierre, but we have to think *really* carefully about what name is applied in that case, for the reasons that both Aram and I have outlined above.

Darwin begins to think... and his head starts to throb - too much unfamiliar activity...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #304 on: December 18, 2007, 01:07 PM »
DataKebab
tabuladata
HAHA!  That's freaking hilarious.  Those are some of my dad's favorite dishes.

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #305 on: December 18, 2007, 02:07 PM »
GruntMaster 6000?

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #306 on: December 18, 2007, 02:20 PM »
On a more serious note, how about these?

Information King
Data King
Data Tycoon
Global Commander
Facts Emperor
Cosmic Controller
CosmoData
Data Panorama
Universal Info
Total Information
The Facts Machine
Knowledge Master

Although personally, I don't have a problem with SQLNotes.

David

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #307 on: December 18, 2007, 02:27 PM »
GruntMaster 6000?

Where I'm from "grunt" has a scatalogical connotation (as in "having a grunt") that Pierre might want to avoid  :o

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #308 on: December 18, 2007, 02:49 PM »
Global Commander and Total Information are good  :Thmbsup:

I'm reading through the rename thread at the SQLNotes website and note that SQL is pronounced Sequel, so why not

Sequel or SequelNotes?

Sequel is appropriate because you store, organize and manage data and ideas in the app and are able to revisit them later...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #309 on: December 18, 2007, 02:50 PM »
Great, no sooner do I post the above, than I read this post (by Pierre!):

Hey what about simply Sequel ? (as in the next step in information management)

Orignial post here.

I do like Sequel...

But following from it and a couple of comments made in that thread, how about either:

Sequitur
or
Pro Sequitur
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 02:58 PM by Darwin »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #310 on: December 18, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Where I'm from "grunt" has a scatalogical connotation (as in "having a grunt") that Pierre might want to avoid  :o
That's good to know, I'm going to start using that!  Coffee makes me grunt.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2007, 04:49 PM »
I'm starting to import my information from other programs into SQL.  Is there a way I can import text files into SQL?  I might even be able to get them parsed in some ways and even retain RTF formatting, but I don't know if SQL can handle that kind of importing yet.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #312 on: December 18, 2007, 05:44 PM »
I'm starting to import my information from other programs into SQL.  Is there a way I can import text files into SQL?  I might even be able to get them parsed in some ways and even retain RTF formatting, but I don't know if SQL can handle that kind of importing yet.
Is it Word documents you want to import? For a reference to the file, drag-drop from Explorer to the grid. For the HTML Pane, to link content, you must save as HTM or MHT first and then do File>Open...File>Save. To import content, best is to drag-drop content (open in Word, and drag-drop)
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 05:46 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #313 on: December 18, 2007, 06:18 PM »
Well, they are mostly notes in proprietary format of other software right now.  But, for example, texnotes has the ability to export notes in a variety of ways, including text files, rtf files, a parsed test file (with user-specified delimiters).
I'll drag-drop as much as possible.  Either way, it's going to be a painful process.  But I'm comfortable with it because I know that once it's in SQLNotes, I'll be able to export in other flexible ways in the future, if necessary.

By the way, when will encryption/password be available for SQL?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Well, they are mostly notes in proprietary format of other software right now.  But, for example, texnotes has the ability to export notes in a variety of ways, including text files, rtf files, a parsed test file (with user-specified delimiters).
I'll drag-drop as much as possible.  Either way, it's going to be a painful process.  But I'm comfortable with it because I know that once it's in SQLNotes, I'll be able to export in other flexible ways in the future, if necessary.

By the way, when will encryption/password be available for SQL?
RTF drag-dropped from Word works very well
Encryption/password is already there  8)

If you don't care too much about formatting, but have many notes to import, you can use the standard importer on Textnotes parsed text file. Import could then be a few step to import 100's of notes

Also, if you have any specific needs, I can customize the import process since I know that other users will use it too eventually. I can work with you on this one!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2007, 06:51 PM »
OK, Thanks!  I will keep you informed as I go through the process.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #316 on: December 19, 2007, 11:19 PM »
To keep this community updated, I'm adding internal linking in the HTML editing pane. 3 modes:

1- Insert hyperlink, enter Item ID. Clicking on the link will bring you to that item. Entering [Item ID] will automatically create the link.
2- Insert hyperlink, enter some criteria (e.g. Project="somiro") and all items meeting the criteria will be displayed on a click. Great to save searches
3- Through wiki style hyperlinks. Each item now has a new field (WikiTag). Enter a string in that field and whenever you enter that string in the HTML editor, a link to the item will automatically be created for you. If the WikiTag contains spaces, you'll need to enclose the text in the HTML pane with [  ].

The same will work with the grid items, but I must wait for an update from the grid manufacturer, which will enable hyperlinks in the item text.

Available very soon.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 11:33 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #317 on: December 21, 2007, 09:51 PM »
I've been following Visual WebGUI dev (http://www.visualwebgui.com/). for the last few years. It is an outstanding web dev. framework for web applications. Very innovative. Try out some of the on-line demos.

How does this relate to SQLNotes ? How about using your SQLNotes database from a web browser ? Anywhere in the world... No installation, In read and write...

You'd put your database on a web server (JET or SQL Server) and access it with a rich UI web interface. You're on a business trip and want to access your schedule, tasks, notes, that were just updated by your secretary or collegues? Any computer or web-enabled mobile device would do.

Since Visual WebGUI also supports local mode, you could put it all on a USB stick and run it on any computer. A truly portable app.

This isn't for release 1.0 of course, but sometime in 2008.

This opens the door to use SQLNotes as a collaborative tool.

But... another door to collaborative work will be opened very soon. Let me explain: I'm making changes to support SQL Server as a back-end database. Very little is in fact required so it should not be very long.

Then put that database on a web server and users will be able to connect to the database, share data and collaborate, whereever you are, with a connection to live data.  :Thmbsup:

Expect this in 2008 Q1, in time for the initial release of ... Versatio, the versatile information organizer (possible new name)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #318 on: December 22, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Everybody : there's now a poll to decide on a new name for SQLNotes (at sqlnotes.net) : http://www.sqlnotes....e/posts/Default.aspx

No love at first sight there (which doesn't mean that I don't like them at all!)... But some have potential.

Naming something is soooo personal... I usually find that I get used to any names if they're no to bad. Hell, I even got used to Find and Run Robot.  ;)

I don't mind at all if a name is not descriptive (or even a bit ugly). Actually, a not too descriptive name allows for expansion one hasn't foreseen. NightHawk, Azureus, Zoho (or whatever) are not exactly the most descriptive names (yet, they are, in their own way…). I believe most people don't care if they don't understand what a name means. And they won't even try to find out.

So, IMHO, despite the fact that I usually get used to any names, what's mostly important is a name that 1) sounds relatively "good" (easy to pronounce and to remember and uses morphemes with positive "resonances") 2) can be easily used to inspire a logo and generate some good marketing slogans, 3) doesn't have silly or bad connotations (here or elsewhere, in other languages...), 4) is original (available domain, maybe??), 5) doesn't impose rigid restrictions on the software's evolution.

There are many other aspects to consider. One helpful link :
http://www.halfagain...g/whats-my-name.html

But like the author of this blog writes :

Sure, there are certain guidelines and ideas it’s good to keep in mind, but I promise you, there’s an exception to every rule.  (Case in point: successfully branded, wildly popular and by all standards bad, names abound.)

Edit : just in case, here are some of the most interesting links in the link above :
http://www.morewords.com/
http://www.my-tool.c...ain/domain-combiner/
http://www.wordlab.com/
http://www.wordlab.com/tools/t_index.cfm

Edit 2 : in the blog mentioned above notice the Metaphorical naming [powerful stuff] part. (and I have to agree about the qualification "[powerful stuff]")
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:10 AM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #319 on: December 22, 2007, 07:36 PM »
I've edited my post above.   :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #320 on: December 22, 2007, 10:20 PM »
I hear ya, Armando. I can't imagine Find and Run Robot called anything else and, quite frankly, the same goes for SQLNotes... Just "fits" in my mind. I don't like any of the names in the poll with the possible exception of EchoNotes. I'm going to have to give this some thought before casting a vote over there!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2007, 02:02 AM »
OK, I'm going through the process of importing my notes from other programs into SQLNotes.  One of the problems with the importer is that I need something much more flexible and customizeable.  Right now, the only option is to change the field delimiter and text qualifier.  I can't use these to import my texnotes data.  Here are the exporting options for texnotes:
screenshot_20071223235248.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?
The easiest way to import these into SQLNotes is to export each note for texnotes as one file.  Then, the filename will be the "Item" field of SQLNotes, and the the actual note content inside the text file will go into the HTML Pane field for SQLNotes.  That seems to be the ideal way for me.
Another way would be to export all the content as one big text file, where the text is separated by certain delimiters, but that gets more complicated since how will SQLNotes know what is the title and what is the note content?

Other software, like EverNote, will most likely have fewer options to export data, which is annoying.  Evernote will only export data as XML.  I have no idea how to import that into SQLNotes, but if you could figure it out, it would be brilliant.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2007, 04:33 AM »
added a new possible name:

Flexibase

http://www.sqlnotes....e/posts/Default.aspx
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2007, 07:51 AM »
@superboyac,

Importers will be developped on an as-demand basis, so if you have a need, shout and I'll do it.

Merry Christmas

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #324 on: December 28, 2007, 12:07 PM »
@superboyac,

Importers will be developped on an as-demand basis, so if you have a need, shout and I'll do it.

Merry Christmas
OK, I'm shouting.  I need an importer that will take a bunch of text files and import them into SQLNotes in the following way:
--The filename of the text file ('mynotes' if the filename is "mynotes.txt") should go into the "Item" field of the grid (or whatever field I assign).
--The content of the text file should go inside the HTML pane field.

In this way, I could import most of my notes from other programs, at least texnotes.