ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (55/235) > >>

PPLandry:
PPL, since I started using SQL, I've created a few test files.  But now I want to combine the data in those files into one main file.  How can I import grids (and the data inside the grids) from one file to another?-superboyac (December 16, 2007, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
I was waiting for that one. You can't right now. :(
I'll modify the Ecco Pro importer to import SQLNotes files.

Expect it in a few days at most.

[edit] BTW If you really need to, select the grid items, CTRL-C to copy. Paste in Excel. Save as CSV and re-import in SQLNotes (ugly... :down: :down: :down:)

superboyac:
J-Mac, SQL really isn't that hard to learn.  The confusing part for me was that it was billed as an ECCO replacement, but I never used ECCO so I wasn't used to the interface.  If I were you I'd think of each grid as a regular, hierarchical notetaking program like Mybase, Texnotes, whatever...where the outliner is the tree and the HTML pane is where the note goes.

After you think of it this way, then start thinking about it's more powerful features.  In a notetaking program, the text shown in the tree is usually just the title of the note.  But in SQL, it can be so much more than a title, because you can associate other "fields" (columns) with the title.  Now, you can mold the tree (or outline) into whatever you want.

That should help you think about it easier.  See the screenshots below to understand how SQL can be thought of as a really powerful notetaker:
SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

superboyac:
PPL, since I started using SQL, I've created a few test files.  But now I want to combine the data in those files into one main file.  How can I import grids (and the data inside the grids) from one file to another?-superboyac (December 16, 2007, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
I was waiting for that one. You can't right now. :(
I'll modify the Ecco Pro importer to import SQLNotes files.

Expect it in a few days at most.

[edit] BTW If you really need to, select the grid items, CTRL-C to copy. Paste in Excel. Save as CSV and re-import in SQLNotes (ugly... :down: :down: :down:)
-PPLandry (December 16, 2007, 10:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Great.  I'll wait for it.  I was just thinking that if you're going to be able to import csv files and such, then of course you should be able to import data made with the actual program!

By the way, I was watching that video in the download directory showing how the html pane content can appear right under the outliner item.  That was cool!  Is that available yet or is that coming in the future?

PPLandry:
If I were you I'd think of each grid as a regular, hierarchical notetaking program like Mybase, Texnotes, whatever...where the outliner is the tree and the HTML pane is where the note goes.-superboyac (December 16, 2007, 10:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's one way. But Jim is looking for an Excel/database replacement. He way want to omit the HTML Editing pane altogether and concentrate on the grid and forms.
Think of each grid as a separate spreadsheet. Columns are fields. Rows are items.
If you already have a spreadsheet with the info, half of the work is done:
- Save it as CSV
- Create a grid (any name will do, but I recommend to avoid spaces, etc)
- Import it into SQLNotes. In the field mapping step (step 2), select the mapping b/w Excel and SN fields AND add a line: 1     YourGridName. This will add the imported data into your grid.

superboyac:
DO I have to uninstall before installing the new beta?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version