ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (50/235) > >>

PPLandry:
Here's an idea for searching in SQLNotes.  It may be asking a lot, I don't know how hard or easy it would be to implement, but it's just something I thought of:
I keep thinking about EverNote and how I still want to continue using it despite the power that is available in SN.  And it keeps going back to one thing: it's just so easy and so fast to find something ESPECIALLY when you have no idea where to look.  So, i was thinking that it would be nice if SN had a special "search" module or window.  Inside this search window would be a complete list of all the data inside the database, unabridged, with all the fields and everything.  Just a massive, unorganized view of the entire database.  Then there would be on search box (like evernote), and you just go in it and begin typing what you're looking for, and as you type the list gets shorter and shorter until you find what you're looking for.  I can go into more detail, but that's the basic idea.-superboyac (December 14, 2007, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try the latest build. I've added a quick search window.
- CTRL-Q to activate
- Start typing. The list will automatically get filtered
- Hit enter to display the items in the search grid

Thanks for the idea. A great addition.

BTW I want put the Quick Search text box in the menu (after Help). It is more complicated, so for now it will be in the pop-up window

superboyac:
That is unbelievably awesome!  This program is getting to be more and more exciting.  That search box is really nice an, yes, it would be very cool if it were right on the menubar.

In Evernote, as you type each letter, the list gets filtered just like your search box.  Also, each match gets highlighted as you type in the search box.  It helps draw the eye towards the matching items.  I know it's more complex in SN because of all the fields, though.  For your search box, since the html pane is a special field that will usually have a lot of text in it rather than the short text in the regular items, maybe there could be a way to show more of that field in the matching results and possibly highlighting matching terms, like evernote does.  I can't picture how this would work, but it's just an idea.  I see that right now, each line represents an item and it's fields.  How would you show multiple lines?  I don't know.  Then again, you don't want to show all of the html pane since there might be pages of text in there which would be too much for the search results box.  Maybe other people have ideas on how to make something like that work.

PPLandry:
> I see that right now, each line represents an item and it's fields. How would you show multiple lines?

I show it that way to show more items. You can resize the line to show more if you want.

As to highlighting found text, yes, I'm waiting on some improvements by the grid manufacturer for that one
I also want to add radio buttons to select the field type to search (text, date, numbers)

superboyac:
> I see that right now, each line represents an item and it's fields. How would you show multiple lines?

I show it that way to show more items. You can resize the line to show more if you want.

As to highlighting found text, yes, I'm waiting on some improvements by the grid manufacturer for that one
I also want to add radio buttons to select the field type to search (text, date, numbers)
-PPLandry (December 14, 2007, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, you misunderstood me.  It's good that the lines are single lines.  I was just talking about the html pane field because there is normally going to be several lines of text in there, unlike the other fields.  So, it's good for the other fields to be shown on one line so that more items can fit in the window.  However, what do you do about the html pane field?  How do you leave the other fields as one line, but mult-line for the html pane?  I don't know.  But it would be nice to see multiple lines for the html pane, like a little preview.  Sort of like the searching in this DC forum:
So, it's an interesting problem, because it's the only field that will consistently have multiple lines.  But you don't want to decrease the effective space of the other search results for just that one field.  I don't know the solution, I can think about it and tell you later if I come up with anything.

Armando:
Nice addition Pierre. Immensely useful :up:
Can't wait for the calendar and the gantt chart...! (And, ultimately, an easier Outlook import system for my contacts, tasks, etc. of course).
Seeing how quick you can implement new features, I'm sure that SQLNotes will become a great, flexible notetaker. IMO, like I said in the other thread, a good notetaker must allow for quick and effortless note jotting (with a simple keyboard shortcut) and web clipping + easy and powerful search (like superboyac said).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version