ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (28/235) > >>

PPLandry:
You know, I just realized that the itemparent way is better.  My only issue is this: does the position in the hierarchy determine whether the item is album/artist/song?  Is that going to be an issue if I try to use the same data in a different grid?  How will I be able to filter out albums, artists, and songs if I don't have those distinct fields and they all go into the same field?
-superboyac (November 29, 2007, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you want to be able to filter on artist, album and/or song, it is best to either have a text field (dropdown type) where you enter the type of info, or use 3 checkbox fields (isArtist, isAlbum, isSong). Your original method will work too.

(sorry for the delay, I was at a client's today)

PPLandry:
Oh No!  Disaster!  I just opened up the database I made yesterday, and on the bottom of the screen is was saying something about auto-calc fields, and now all of the album/artist fields disappeared!  This is bad.-superboyac (November 29, 2007, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
This was certainly just a display problem. In 3 years of using SQLNotes, I've never lost anything!. I'll check on this issue

PPLandry:
OK, I found out what the problem was.  For album and artist fields, i had the "auto-update" box checked, which is bad apparently.  Can you tell me what that is for?
-superboyac (November 29, 2007, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
Auto-calc is for fields that have equations which depend on todays date (Urgency is a good example). It tells the system to update the value on a change of day.

I'll check if this can be the cause of the display problem you observed (I doubt it, but...). It definitely should be safe to use.

[edit] After checking, yes, this is the cause of the problem you observed. I'll fix it immediately. Please download the daily build. [edit] It is now fixed.

superboyac:
Is there a way to transfer the contents of one column of one grid into the column of another grid, even though the columns represent different fields?

I ask, because I want to try making the database the outline way you described above using only the "item" field, but I don't want to reenter all the song titles and stuff.

I like the idea of the checkboxes or the dropdown, I think I'll do that.

PPLandry:
Is there a way to transfer the contents of one column of one grid into the column of another grid, even though the columns represent different fields?-superboyac (November 30, 2007, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes there is an easy way:
1- set Item field equation to:  = SongTitle
2- Click update (next to the equation)
3- remove the Item field equation and save it

p.s. remember, columns are simply a display of the field. You want to operate on fields, not columns. As to grids, they are not related to fields. They serve as a window of your data (items and fields values)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version