ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (17/235) > >>

PPLandry:
I think it does, I haven't finished playing with it yet.  I'm still trying to understand how all the data works together in the program, I don't have my head around it yet.
-superboyac (November 08, 2007, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Think of it as:
1- a large spreadsheet. The grid is used to filters which row are displayed and which column is displayed, and/or
2- As a filing cabinet. You place items in folders (fields here). Selecting a field as a grid source, displays items in the folder (This is the Ecco Pro metaphor)

Hope this helps!

J-Mac:
Pierre,

I'm looking at SQLNotes now for the document tracking database, as we discussed in another thread. I must say, though, the proposed pricing is more than I had expected. That's not to say it is out of line with what it should be -- I guess I just didn't know the price range for this type of application. I might have to take another hard look at Access for my database since I already own that!
Jim
-J-Mac (November 04, 2007, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
It all depends on how you value your own time...
Also the price is very approximate and will be in line with comparable products. May end-up being less. Finally, contributing beta testers, translators and solution providers get a free licence!
-PPLandry (November 04, 2007, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you Pierre.  Maybe I will give it a try using a relatively small sample of my data.

Sorry not to have seen your reply earlier. I most likely did get the DC email notification, but I was overloaded with a lot of spam - my ISP's server spam filter died (or broke down?) and I was getting literally a few hundred spam messages dropped into my inbox daily! Had to do some major adjusting to my own spam filters to compensate and I'm sure I missed responding to a lot of good messages in the rush.

Thanks again!

Jim

tomos:
Think of it as:
1- a large spreadsheet. The grid is used to filters which row are displayed and which column is displayed, and/or
2- As a filing cabinet. You place items in folders (fields here). Selecting a field as a grid source, displays items in the folder (This is the Ecco Pro metaphor)

Hope this helps!-PPLandry (November 08, 2007, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

this is helpful

I've been struggling with the underlying concept
not having used database type software before is probably a handicap...

If I follow the logic and metaphor of point one -
lets see... using SQL-Notes, I dont understand (yet) how (exactly) you filter things so it's probably too soon to be asking questions -
but I'll have a go anyways :)

* Would it be possible to filter one item+subitems (i.e. one of many items) for example from ToDo to another grid?
* Is it possible to make new columns - I see there's a long list of them already.
* Is it possible to open a new "spreadsheet" ?

PPLandry:
If I follow the logic and metaphor of point one -
lets see... using SQL-Notes, I dont understand (yet) how (exactly) you filter things so it's probably too soon to be asking questions -
but I'll have a go anyways :)

* Would it be possible to filter one item+subitems (i.e. one of many items) for example from ToDo to another grid?
* Is it possible to make new columns - I see there's a long list of them already.
* Is it possible to open a new "spreadsheet" ?
-tomos (November 09, 2007, 03:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
1- To uniquely filter a single item put [Edit] "IDItem = xxx" [/Edited] in the source of a grid. ID Item of the item is seen in the properties pane. The source is the left-most box on the source bar (Grid > View source bar to show it)
2. Columns are fields. Fields can be displayed as a column in a grid, or in one or many forms. View>Manage fields to add a new. Once created, in your grid: Grid > Displayed column to display it (or drag-drop from the properties pane to the grid)
3. To create a new grid: View > Grids > New Grid

PPLandry:
The SQLNotes wikispace is being enhance to include beginners guide to introduce new users (especially those without Ecco Pro expertise) to the SQLNotes concept:
http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/

It is open to all! No need to register to view, comment and make changes. You are all welcomed to visit and contribute. A new Q & A page was added specifically for users questions:
http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/Q+%26+A

(but you can continue to use this forum too. It's your choice!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version