ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (8/235) > >>

PPLandry:
Armando wroteThe problem for me is that there's no calendar right now (and no gantt charts). But according to Pierre, there will be!
--- End quote ---
It's coming. But it is a complicated task to do it right. And things are changing quickly in that area due to on-line calendar (aka Google, Airset, Zoho, etc). The SN needs to have live links to Outlook for the people at work and with web calendars for calendar sharing (you, your wife, friends, kids, etc)
So to do it right requires a detailed analysis of the pros and cons.

The Gantt is actually much easier since it is more standalone (with only some dependancies on the calendar). In fact in the current version 0.9.19, there is a thin line to the right of the grid (blue in Office 2007 theme). Drag it to display the Gantt area (no bars for now and only one header level). Check out this post for a real screen shot of it https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=9827.msg81407#msg81407

Creating a new grid is not very intuitive right now : you have to go in View —> Manage grids and in the list of grids, click and write in the “New view” space.
--- End quote ---
This is fixed in the next version. Plus I was using a split button. Neat feature but not well known, so I changed for a more conventional menu item.

PPLandry:
tomos wroteI work on my own, selfemployed, but very few clients
--- End quote ---
That is exactly what I do. I have an agenda where I enter the work I do (start, duration or end) project. If you get paid by the hour, then billing is easy. The pivot table (or select durations and right-click>info) will give you the hours to bill.
You could have a grid for each bill and use the HTML Export>Template to automatically generate nice looking bills. Set the billing no. to those items (select all items and change the billing no. in the properties pane to batch change values) and hop, they disappear to show only tasks that haven't been billed.

I also enter all project notes in a tree structure. If tasks or sub-tasks require followup, I click the followup checkbox (grid or form). Another grid gives me all items that require followup (with or without context parents)

You could also use it to gather web clippings using the HTML pane or link it to web pages (select company A, web page opens automatically, or select your bank account item, etc.

Notice the ToDo grid. It has a very complicated filter to show just those items requiring attention (items automatically get color coded based on the Urgency field which is calculated from DueDate, Duration and %Done)

PPLandry:
tomos wrotesome big jobs I try keep track of the drawings in tables (*.doc file again) or spreadsheets -
eg. Figure#123: based on working drawing#ABC, modification requests, outstanding work, final approval given, etc.
--- End quote ---
You could drag-drop those file in a grid to create a link (double-click to launch) and then fill fields with relevant values add notes (in a note field, as a sub-item or in the HTML pane, it's your choice). Link that with your project or with individuals.

Armando:
Items exist regardless of whether they are shown in a grid or not. Grids and forms are just views of your data/notes
-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

That, I must say... I really like.  :) It makes the whole data management and organization so much more flexible (although maybe a bit abstract for more visually oriented people — and so is the filtering… But I guess that will be easier to understand once the documentation is complete).

Thanks for your explanations regarding some of the "key" concepts : Grids, forms, fields...

No you are not mistaken. SN is already a massive project and the general philosophy is to complement Office, not go head on. For a customer however (CRM app), I added an interface with Outlook to import e-mail into SN along with a semi-automated e-mail reply mecanism. Statistics were updated (# of calls, emails, etc) so managers could see monthly reports of activity.
-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

So how do you see people using SQLNotes in cunjunction with Outlook (or even thunderbird, the bat !) email feature? Drag and Drop possibilities (to the calendars or todo lists)? Or more officially implement the solution you offered to the customer your refered to?... Just wondering.

[...]things are changing quickly in that area due to on-line calendar (aka Google, Airset, Zoho, etc). The SN needs to have live links to Outlook for the people at work and with web calendars for calendar sharing (you, your wife, friends, kids, etc)
So to do it right requires a detailed analysis of the pros and cons.
-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's great that you're taking these uses/formats into considerations.  :up:
IMO Outlook was for way too long behind in terms of web calendar sharing.

The Gantt is actually much easier since it is more standalone (with only some dependancies on the calendar). In fact in the current version 0.9.19, there is a thin line to the right of the grid (blue in Office 2007 theme). Drag it to display the Gantt area (no bars for now and only one header level).-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ooooohhh. I see... Encouraging! (and I of course saw the screenshot the first time you posted it)

This is fixed in the next version. Plus I was using a split button. Neat feature but not well know, so I changed for a more conventional menu item.
-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice!! Because creating new grids is such an important thing to be able to do easily. :)

Thanks Pierre

Armando:
You could drag-drop those file in a grid to create a link (double-click to launch) and then fill fields with relevant values add notes (in a note field, as a sub-item or in the HTML pane, it's your choice). Link that with your project or with individuals.
-PPLandry (October 31, 2007, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very elegant.

Is there a way (potentially) to automatically "colorcode" or format items depending on the content (item name, etc.)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version