ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (7/235) > >>

Armando:
Version 0.9.18 is finally out. Includes many bug fixes and enhancements. www.sqlnotes.net
-PPLandry (October 29, 2007, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks Pierre... will be downloading it shortly.  :up:

tomos:
can I ask what others are using this programme for?

I mean I can see the example of the basketball but somehow that doesnt help me get my head around more practical uses for it (no offense to the basketball use!!)

I think I'm struggling cause I cant figure out how to get going with it AND I dont know what I want to use it for -
which might make people think I should forget it .. but
I can see a powerful programme at the same time & think I dont want to miss out on that !! -
I'm just not sure if it would be helpful to me
and
I'm hoping some of your examples might help me :)

The example from the web page of costing a job - I can see that being helpful way of structuring that.
any other ideas/uses?!?

EDIT: in case it's helpful -
I work on my own, selfemployed, but very few clients (is that what you call em?!) drawing mainly maps at the moment

Armando:
Well, I'd use it for similar tasks I use Outlook for : manage contacts, tasks, calendars, etc. But I'd also probably store notes and various data into it, and use it as a general database (something I don't do with Outlook), and I'd manage more complex projects (something I look forward to because of SQLnotes pivot tables and other coming features like gantt charts). The only thing I probably wouldn't do with it is… manage emails… it doesn't seem to be a very “developed” feature. But maybe am I mistaken?

The problem for me is that there's no calendar right now (and no gantt charts). But according to Pierre, there will be!

What is it that you'd like to use it for in the first plac ? You can create all sorts of different places (different grids) to store different types of data. Creating a new grid is not very intuitive right now : you have to go in View —> Manage grids and in the list of grids, click and write in the “New view” space. Took me a while to find it (should be in the Grid menu)! Too bad because it’s a fundamental feature.

tomos:
thanks Amando!

You can create all sorts of different places (different grids) to store different types of data. Creating a new grid is not very intuitive right now : you have to go in View —> Manage grids and in the list of grids, click and write in the “New view” space. Took me a while to find it (should be in the Grid menu)! Too bad because it’s a fundamental feature.-Armando (October 31, 2007, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
-
that's a help!!

What is it that you'd like to use it for in the first place ?-Armando (October 31, 2007, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

well, that was part of my "problem"  :-[  :)
but as I'm starting a new job I could start with the pricing model &
was thinking of maybe using it for keeping track of job development e.g. I get a mail saying "oh I forgot to say I want that done" etc which is mostly per email but often by .doc file.

some big jobs I try keep track of the drawings in tables (*.doc file again) or spreadsheets -
eg. Figure#123: based on working drawing#ABC, modification requests, outstanding work, final approval given, etc.

maybe it would be a better place for this type of info - all in one place.
Now I have more of an incentive to use it -  :)
think all i needed was a prompt, (& that tip on creating new grid)

thanks again Amando  :up:

PPLandry:
Armondo wroteBut I'd also probably store notes and various data into it, and use it as a general database (something I don't do with Outlook), and I'd manage more complex projects
--- End quote ---
You described it pretty well. At the basis, you have an Ecco framework. Folders (fields in SN) you open them by double-clicking on them in the properties pane. And you can start putting information in that folder. The grid and forms are the basic entry.
You can use it to enter database-like info or text info using the built-in oulining capabilities (or both of course). Fields are either shown in the properties pane or as columns in a grid. Items exist regardless of whether they are shown in a grid or not. Grids and forms are just views of your data/notes
That's the basic Ecco concept.
Of course, SN builts upon Ecco and adds column and row math, pivot tables and charts, I/O with Office and with the web, etc.

The only thing I probably wouldn't do with it is… manage emails… it doesn't seem to be a very “developed” feature. But maybe am I mistaken?
--- End quote ---
No you are not mistaken. SN is already a massive project and the general philosophy is to complement Office, not go head on. For a customer however (CRM app), I added an interface with Outlook to import e-mail into SN along with a semi-automated e-mail reply mecanism. Statistics were updated (# of calls, emails, etc) so managers could see monthly reports of activity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version