topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 834433 times)

Kuntau

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • My English is bad :(
    • View Profile
    • Tech.Kuntau | Info Sharing Blog
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2007, 06:43 PM »
is this software gonna be shareware when beta end?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2007, 09:20 PM »
is this software gonna be shareware when beta end?
As in try before you buy? Yes, the planned distribution is twofold:

1- Web-site direct download, 60-90 day trial (30 days is just too short for such a software). [edit] price is TBD but will be in line with comparable products[/edit].

2- Through a network of SQLNotes consultants. Approaching individuals and organisations and provide turn-key solutions to their specific information management needs. This distribution is already being used, since 15 licences have been sold to various organisations with customization, training and product support.

p.s. Contributing beta testers and translators get a free licence!
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 02:33 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Version 0.9.18 is finally out. Includes many bug fixes and enhancements. www.sqlnotes.net
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 04:59 PM »
Interesting, but I've got mixed feelings.

To tell the truth, I was about to post a dismissive reply based on the name only, but to be fair I had to look at the web site first. The concept that's described there looks quite interesting.

However:
  • The name. This was my first complaint. I object in principle to software that is named for the technology that it's implemented in. This is common in the java world, for example the photo album builder "jAlbum" (which, to be fair, is best of its type). The thing is, the end user wants software that works, and doesn't care about the technology platform.
  • The price. Something described on the order of $100 for the liteversion, and up from there. It looks to me like the main competition will be programs like Zoot, which costs $99 for a full version.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 05:34 PM »
[name] The name will be changed. SQLNotes is a code name
[price] The standard is not a lite by no means. We're also 3-4 months from initial release, so the pricing has not been fixed yet.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:35 PM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 10:34 PM »
Version 0.9.18 is finally out. Includes many bug fixes and enhancements. www.sqlnotes.net
Thanks Pierre... will be downloading it shortly.  :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 04:27 PM »
can I ask what others are using this programme for?

I mean I can see the example of the basketball but somehow that doesnt help me get my head around more practical uses for it (no offense to the basketball use!!)

I think I'm struggling cause I cant figure out how to get going with it AND I dont know what I want to use it for -
which might make people think I should forget it .. but
I can see a powerful programme at the same time & think I dont want to miss out on that !! -
I'm just not sure if it would be helpful to me
and
I'm hoping some of your examples might help me :)

The example from the web page of costing a job - I can see that being helpful way of structuring that.
any other ideas/uses?!?

EDIT: in case it's helpful -
I work on my own, selfemployed, but very few clients (is that what you call em?!) drawing mainly maps at the moment

Tom
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:29 PM by tomos »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 06:00 PM »
Well, I'd use it for similar tasks I use Outlook for : manage contacts, tasks, calendars, etc. But I'd also probably store notes and various data into it, and use it as a general database (something I don't do with Outlook), and I'd manage more complex projects (something I look forward to because of SQLnotes pivot tables and other coming features like gantt charts). The only thing I probably wouldn't do with it is… manage emails… it doesn't seem to be a very “developed” feature. But maybe am I mistaken?

The problem for me is that there's no calendar right now (and no gantt charts). But according to Pierre, there will be!

What is it that you'd like to use it for in the first plac ? You can create all sorts of different places (different grids) to store different types of data. Creating a new grid is not very intuitive right now : you have to go in View —> Manage grids and in the list of grids, click and write in the “New view” space. Took me a while to find it (should be in the Grid menu)! Too bad because it’s a fundamental feature.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 07:16 PM »
thanks Amando!

You can create all sorts of different places (different grids) to store different types of data. Creating a new grid is not very intuitive right now : you have to go in View —> Manage grids and in the list of grids, click and write in the “New view” space. Took me a while to find it (should be in the Grid menu)! Too bad because it’s a fundamental feature.
-
that's a help!!

What is it that you'd like to use it for in the first place ?

well, that was part of my "problem"  :-[  :)
but as I'm starting a new job I could start with the pricing model &
was thinking of maybe using it for keeping track of job development e.g. I get a mail saying "oh I forgot to say I want that done" etc which is mostly per email but often by .doc file.

some big jobs I try keep track of the drawings in tables (*.doc file again) or spreadsheets -
eg. Figure#123: based on working drawing#ABC, modification requests, outstanding work, final approval given, etc.

maybe it would be a better place for this type of info - all in one place.
Now I have more of an incentive to use it -  :)
think all i needed was a prompt, (& that tip on creating new grid)

thanks again Amando  :up:
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Armondo wrote
But I'd also probably store notes and various data into it, and use it as a general database (something I don't do with Outlook), and I'd manage more complex projects
You described it pretty well. At the basis, you have an Ecco framework. Folders (fields in SN) you open them by double-clicking on them in the properties pane. And you can start putting information in that folder. The grid and forms are the basic entry.
You can use it to enter database-like info or text info using the built-in oulining capabilities (or both of course). Fields are either shown in the properties pane or as columns in a grid. Items exist regardless of whether they are shown in a grid or not. Grids and forms are just views of your data/notes
That's the basic Ecco concept.
Of course, SN builts upon Ecco and adds column and row math, pivot tables and charts, I/O with Office and with the web, etc.

The only thing I probably wouldn't do with it is… manage emails… it doesn't seem to be a very “developed” feature. But maybe am I mistaken?
No you are not mistaken. SN is already a massive project and the general philosophy is to complement Office, not go head on. For a customer however (CRM app), I added an interface with Outlook to import e-mail into SN along with a semi-automated e-mail reply mecanism. Statistics were updated (# of calls, emails, etc) so managers could see monthly reports of activity.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2007, 09:29 PM »
Armando wrote
The problem for me is that there's no calendar right now (and no gantt charts). But according to Pierre, there will be!
It's coming. But it is a complicated task to do it right. And things are changing quickly in that area due to on-line calendar (aka Google, Airset, Zoho, etc). The SN needs to have live links to Outlook for the people at work and with web calendars for calendar sharing (you, your wife, friends, kids, etc)
So to do it right requires a detailed analysis of the pros and cons.

The Gantt is actually much easier since it is more standalone (with only some dependancies on the calendar). In fact in the current version 0.9.19, there is a thin line to the right of the grid (blue in Office 2007 theme). Drag it to display the Gantt area (no bars for now and only one header level). Check out this post for a real screen shot of it https://www.donation...27.msg81407#msg81407

Creating a new grid is not very intuitive right now : you have to go in View —> Manage grids and in the list of grids, click and write in the “New view” space.
This is fixed in the next version. Plus I was using a split button. Neat feature but not well known, so I changed for a more conventional menu item.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:35 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2007, 09:42 PM »
tomos wrote
I work on my own, selfemployed, but very few clients
That is exactly what I do. I have an agenda where I enter the work I do (start, duration or end) project. If you get paid by the hour, then billing is easy. The pivot table (or select durations and right-click>info) will give you the hours to bill.
You could have a grid for each bill and use the HTML Export>Template to automatically generate nice looking bills. Set the billing no. to those items (select all items and change the billing no. in the properties pane to batch change values) and hop, they disappear to show only tasks that haven't been billed.

I also enter all project notes in a tree structure. If tasks or sub-tasks require followup, I click the followup checkbox (grid or form). Another grid gives me all items that require followup (with or without context parents)

You could also use it to gather web clippings using the HTML pane or link it to web pages (select company A, web page opens automatically, or select your bank account item, etc.

Notice the ToDo grid. It has a very complicated filter to show just those items requiring attention (items automatically get color coded based on the Urgency field which is calculated from DueDate, Duration and %Done)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:43 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 09:46 PM »
tomos wrote
some big jobs I try keep track of the drawings in tables (*.doc file again) or spreadsheets -
eg. Figure#123: based on working drawing#ABC, modification requests, outstanding work, final approval given, etc.
You could drag-drop those file in a grid to create a link (double-click to launch) and then fill fields with relevant values add notes (in a note field, as a sub-item or in the HTML pane, it's your choice). Link that with your project or with individuals.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 10:35 PM »
Items exist regardless of whether they are shown in a grid or not. Grids and forms are just views of your data/notes

That, I must say... I really like.  :) It makes the whole data management and organization so much more flexible (although maybe a bit abstract for more visually oriented people — and so is the filtering… But I guess that will be easier to understand once the documentation is complete).

Thanks for your explanations regarding some of the "key" concepts : Grids, forms, fields...

No you are not mistaken. SN is already a massive project and the general philosophy is to complement Office, not go head on. For a customer however (CRM app), I added an interface with Outlook to import e-mail into SN along with a semi-automated e-mail reply mecanism. Statistics were updated (# of calls, emails, etc) so managers could see monthly reports of activity.

So how do you see people using SQLNotes in cunjunction with Outlook (or even thunderbird, the bat !) email feature? Drag and Drop possibilities (to the calendars or todo lists)? Or more officially implement the solution you offered to the customer your refered to?... Just wondering.

[...]things are changing quickly in that area due to on-line calendar (aka Google, Airset, Zoho, etc). The SN needs to have live links to Outlook for the people at work and with web calendars for calendar sharing (you, your wife, friends, kids, etc)
So to do it right requires a detailed analysis of the pros and cons.

It's great that you're taking these uses/formats into considerations.  :up:
IMO Outlook was for way too long behind in terms of web calendar sharing.

The Gantt is actually much easier since it is more standalone (with only some dependancies on the calendar). In fact in the current version 0.9.19, there is a thin line to the right of the grid (blue in Office 2007 theme). Drag it to display the Gantt area (no bars for now and only one header level).

Ooooohhh. I see... Encouraging! (and I of course saw the screenshot the first time you posted it)

This is fixed in the next version. Plus I was using a split button. Neat feature but not well know, so I changed for a more conventional menu item.

Nice!! Because creating new grids is such an important thing to be able to do easily. :)

Thanks Pierre

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 10:39 PM »
You could drag-drop those file in a grid to create a link (double-click to launch) and then fill fields with relevant values add notes (in a note field, as a sub-item or in the HTML pane, it's your choice). Link that with your project or with individuals.

Very elegant.

Is there a way (potentially) to automatically "colorcode" or format items depending on the content (item name, etc.)?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:40 PM by Armando »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 10:43 PM »
Is there a way (potentially) to automatically "colorcode" or format items depending on the content (item name, etc.)?
Yes you could use color coding based on file extension. A simple user-defined function would do it and it would be automatic. Use the FileName field which is automatically filled in on drag-drop.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 10:46 PM »
Yes you could use color coding based on file extension. A simple user-defined function would do it and it would be automatic. Use the FileName field which is automatically filled in on drag-drop.

Thanks! I'll try that.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 10:50 PM »
Armando wrote
So how do you see people using SQLNotes in cunjunction with Outlook (or even thunderbird, the bat !) email feature? Drag and Drop possibilities (to the calendars or todo lists)? Or more officially implement the solution you offered to the customer your refered to?... Just wondering.
I've postponed this to much later since I've got more urgent matters (d'autres chats à foutter pour l'instant).
3 possibilities:
1- Copy-paste or drag-drop content from email to HTML pane
2- Outlook item link (double-click to open)
3- Import email info into SN fields (from, to, subject, date, etc). The CRM solution I was referring to had this plus semi-automated reply (would insert user-defined text documents and signatures, would send it out and update the statistics inside SN) [edit] It may re-appear since I know the customer is eager to get the new SN version (they are using a 3 year-old version) and willing to pay for the specific adaptations made.[/edit]

But unless it's a user request, it will not be before 1 year.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:57 PM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2007, 01:52 AM »
Armando wrote
I've postponed this to much later since I've got more urgent matters (d'autres chats à foutter pour l'instant).
3 possibilities:
1- Copy-paste or drag-drop content from email to HTML pane
2- Outlook item link (double-click to open)
3- Import email info into SN fields (from, to, subject, date, etc). The CRM solution I was referring to had this plus semi-automated reply (would insert user-defined text documents and signatures, would send it out and update the statistics inside SN) [edit] It may re-appear since I know the customer is eager to get the new SN version (they are using a 3 year-old version) and willing to pay for the specific adaptations made.[/edit]

But unless it's a user request, it will not be before 1 year.

I understand. Thanks Pierre!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2007, 06:34 AM »
tomos wrote

now I'm really impressed  :-*
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2007, 10:30 AM »

Dont know where to post about SQL now..
if you prefer I can post in SQL forums - just say the word :)

I can drag file onto/into grid -
it creates a new item with file name as title, but when I double click it simply becomes editable..

EDIT: then if I double click it again it opens...
Tom
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:34 AM by tomos »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Yes, single-click to edit, then double-click to open-link
If you click in the cell but not on the text, then a double-click will open the link.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2007, 11:18 AM »
Yes, single-click to edit, then double-click to open-link
If you click in the cell but not on the text, then a double-click will open the link.

It's minor, but, fwiw-

single click item-cell-text = edit
"If you click in the cell but not on the text" = select
"then a double-click" = edit

so I do actually have to double-click twice, here at any rate...
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2007, 02:12 PM »
A single-click on the text and a double-click to launch, or
A double-click on an empty space in the cell

should be all that's necessary. I'll fix it if it is not behaving correctly

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2007, 02:15 PM »
For those interested, a typical application of SQLNotes could be as a task management, work done/billing solution for consultants paid by the hour (can include lawyers)

See this link for a detailed description:
http://sqlnotes.wiki...es.com/Time+tracking
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:37 PM by PPLandry »