ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (3/235) > >>

superboyac:
This thing keeps crashing on me...I try to pin the html window so it doesn't auto-hide, and when I try to work, the program crashes.

PPLandry:
This thing keeps crashing on me...I try to pin the html window so it doesn't auto-hide, and when I try to work, the program crashes.
-superboyac (October 18, 2007, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Make sure you don't enable the Office 2007 theme. Current version has a bug with this feature. Tools>Theme>Office 2003. It is fixed in the coming version.

PPLandry:
OK, here's a specific example I'm interested.  Here at work, a group of us play basketball at lunch.  I wanted to start keeping track of the wins/losses of each person to see who has the highest winning percentage.  I started a database in Access, but it became too much work for something as trivial as basketball, so I'm wondering if SQLnotes can do it easier.  I don't know Access so it was difficult creating an input form and to show summary statistics without spending too much time in it.
-superboyac (October 18, 2007, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
There are many ways to do this. Assuming you want to use your SQLNotes database to put all sorts of things you could:
- Create a number field for each player (view>manage fields, name=player name, type=number). In the Hierarchy operations set Parent=sum (of children). This will do the totalling.
- Create a new grid (or reuse an existing one) and add each player field (right-click on the column or drag-drop from the properties pane). Include a date field also.
- Add an item in the grid: Lunch Basketball
- Add a sub-item for each game. Enter the date in the "date' field and for each player that won, put 1 in the corresponding cell (if in the player field, you set the default value to 1, you'll be able to fill the cell on a double-click).
- You'll see that the parent item (lunch Basketball) will total the winnings of each player.

I can think of at least 4 other ways to do it, but this is a good one. :Thmbsup:

p.s. If you want to be fancy, you can set-up a user-defined function to show the name of the player(s) with the most winnings in a separate text field.
p.p.s. If you have this SQLNotes database on your work-place network, you can give access to the players so they see this information, using nothing else than Excel. Otherwise with 2-click you can generate an HTML page with the results and post it somewhere.

[edit] p.p.p.s If you want to be real fancy, you could put in the HTML pane for the lunch basketball item, rich text summarizing this activity and for each game item, comments, pictures, etc.

superboyac:
OK, this will be my test project for this program.  I have to go back to work right now, but I'll try this again later.

Actually, I was unable to use the program because it kept crashing.  I'll ask about this more later.

PPLandry:
Actually, I was unable to use the program because it kept crashing.  I'll ask about this more later.
-superboyac (October 18, 2007, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Did you try to use a different theme than Office 2007?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version