ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (234/235) > >>

J-Mac:
Wow !!! Thanks superboyac for such a nice testimonial.  :Thmbsup:

As far as my level of commitment to this project, no need to worry. I'll bring it to v1.0 and beyond !
-PPLandry (May 03, 2010, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Glad to hear.  I've been working with Armando the last couple of weeks, and I was continually blown away by what he was able to do with the program.
-superboyac (May 03, 2010, 11:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well expand a little on this! I've never quite been able to master IQ well enough to make it my "daily use" data collection/organizing tool, though I do have a license and would love someday to be able use it more, or even to learn more about using it.

I usually need a good reference for (almost constant!) referral, like a comprehensive manual or a good Help file. When it is all on the forum or a wiki-type help system I flounder quickly and then drift back to my current standby info manager.
Let's hear how you are using IQ; are you using it for all your info collecting/organization? Or just for a specific project at present?

Thanks!

Jim

superboyac:
J-Mac, I answer for myself, but Armando uses it much more intensively (and impressively!) than I do.  However, lately, I have been using it much more and it is my primary information manager at this point.  I still use OneNote occasionally because it's layout offers some things that IQ doesn't yet.  Which is, a post-it like experience.  So sometimes I'll jot some random notes in Onenote.  But if they are significant at all, they make their way into IQ.

Back to IQ...I use it for all sorts of purposes.  On one hand, I use it to store random bits of information that might interest me later.  But then I also have specific grids setup to perform specific functions.  That's why I say it's like a mini OS.  I have the project management grid that Armando created (in my other thread) which is programmed to manage meetings, action items, contact lists.  By "programmed" that means there are things happening behind the scenes to tie everything together.  Like, one grid may show all my action items, but another grid will show the same action items under a list that is organized by the meeting date that it came from, but that list will also show the attendees of the meeting, etc.

I have a grid for my transcript, and it calculates my GPA automatically, meaning, I just put in my letter grades and IQ does the rest.

I have certain grids at work where I jot notes down, but I need dates associated with it, so it will look like a list of items, but there's also a column for dates.

I don't know how to describe this effectively.  Screenshots would be better, but I don't have the time right now.  I feel like IQ can literally be used for anything.  Whenever I'm looking for a software for something, and I have a hard time finding it, I immediately think about how to set it up in IQ, and more often than not, IQ will be able to do it.  That's how the project management thing started.

IQ is like having a bucket of stuff (called "fields").  Whenever it comes time to putting some information together, you just grab some fields from the bucket and use them.  If they don't exist, you can easily make your own.

It's almost like a cross between Excel, Access, and a outline-style notetaker...and Word to boot.  At some point, videos would be needed to demonstrate all of this.  Because the power of IQ is not apparent without seeing it in use.  If you just open the program up, you won't really have an idea what it is capable of.

Jibz:
It's almost like a cross between Excel, Access, and a outline-style notetaker...and Word to boot.  At some point, videos would be needed to demonstrate all of this.  Because the power of IQ is not apparent without seeing it in use.  If you just open the program up, you won't really have an idea what it is capable of to do.
-superboyac (May 16, 2010, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, couldn't help it :mrgreen:. I am taking my baby steps with it at the moment, and while it certainly has great great potential, it is indeed sometimes hidden well.

It's one of those pieces of software where you can feel that genius is just under the surface, but you have to decide if you want to fight the surface to get to it. I am trying.

Armando:
It's almost like a cross between Excel, Access, and a outline-style notetaker...and Word to boot.  At some point, videos would be needed to demonstrate all of this.  Because the power of IQ is not apparent without seeing it in use.  If you just open the program up, you won't really have an idea what it is capable of to do.
-superboyac (May 16, 2010, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, couldn't help it :mrgreen:. I am taking my baby steps with it at the moment, and while it certainly has great great potential, it is indeed sometimes hidden well.

It's one of those pieces of software where you can feel that genius is just under the surface, but you have to decide if you want to fight the surface to get to it. I am trying.
-Jibz (May 17, 2010, 02:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a bit hard to get how everything works at first.

IMO 1- because it's still not reached V1 (it's beta and so it's missing a few features and has a few bugs and UI weirdness that haven't been worked out yet), 2- because it,s a bit different than most other PIMs,  3- because it's possible to do so many things with it.

=======

To answer J-Mac's question : I use IQ for almost anything I do : project management, tasks management, personal diary, work on values-goals , physical and psychological personal research, "scenic composition" and directing, class room organization and student marking, personal accounting (in conjuntion with excel), notes, references and web clips (I've got 1000s), and all kinds of other stuff... And all these are interrelated, linked in different ways, shown in different grid contexts, etc. That's what's interesting (...to me).

What I keep outside of it right now are emails (because it's not really designed to be an e-mail software and there are already great solutions for that), appointments (because of syncing etc. but this feature will be added during the summer according to the road map),  big documents (like books, etc. -- but I'll often keep links to them in IQ depending on the project/task), and maybe a few things like scripts and other programming related stuff (but this is another thing that IQ could be : an IDE. It has several characteristics that I find would be interesting to find in an IDE...).

tomos:
I usually need a good reference for (almost constant!) referral, like a comprehensive manual or a good Help file. When it is all on the forum or a wiki-type help system I flounder quickly and then drift back to my current standby info manager.
-J-Mac (May 16, 2010, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jibz made a downloadable help file which is a direct copy of the online manual * (occasionally synced/updated) available here (direct download link): IQ Manual.

* that means this help file is also a work in progress! But it certainly is a joy to use compared to the online manual  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version