ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (222/235) > >>

J-Mac:
I'm trying to export to Excel...I highlight all the rows of items in my grid (all of them), and then I click the export to excel button.  I open the file, and only the very top level item is there.  How do I get all the other ones to appear in the excel file?
-superboyac (November 10, 2008, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you sure that they're not all there in that one item, but just not visible because of the row height?

Jim

PPLandry:
I'm trying to export to Excel...I highlight all the rows of items in my grid (all of them), and then I click the export to excel button.  I open the file, and only the very top level item is there.  How do I get all the other ones to appear in the excel file?
-superboyac (November 10, 2008, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Export to excel needs improvements. Currently, it exports all items that belong to the grid, not all the items displayed.

To do what you want,
1- use copy/paste and use tab-delimited format, or
2- you can tag all desired items (right-click > tag), open a grid and set the source to ItemTagged and do an Excel export

superboyac:
OK, thanks, I'll try it a little later...

But, yet another reason why I feel if an item is created in a grid, that grid should by default be the source for that item.  I just can't see much use for having a bunch of sub-items not having any source.

PPLandry:
OK, thanks, I'll try it a little later...

But, yet another reason why I feel if an item is created in a grid, that grid should by default be the source for that item.  I just can't see much use for having a bunch of sub-items not having any source.
-superboyac (November 10, 2008, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

if the source is a yes/no field (i.e. the concept of a folder), and when the item is created there (as opposed to created elsewhere and later on added as a child to a parent, perhaps even a 2nd, 3rd parent), I'd agree with you (and you can set it in the field property), but for a grid with another type of field as its source (date, text, number), it does not make much sense.

PPLandry:
I just can't see much use for having a bunch of sub-items not having any source.
-superboyac (November 10, 2008, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Keep in mind that the basic (and simple) concept behind IQ is that items are like individuals. They exist and they have properties (i.e. field values).

Items exist independant of their parents, their children, and field-values. If you die (delete an item), the children, parents remain, etc. This is absolutely critical in understanding IQ. You have properties (field) or different types (text, number, date, etc) (age=38, hair=brown, Birthday=1965-06-21, etc)

If your grid source is a yes/no field called WorksForCompanyABC, and you enter all the people working for CompanyABC there, then all main items should have that field checked. I agree.

But if you start adding sub-items, representing say, the children of the employee, then you don't want them to have that field checked (the child does not work there).

Another example, is that at any time, you may want to move an item under a parent (changing parent or adding a second parent) (e.g. a file may be used under 2 projects). You want to associate the file with the project (by being a child), but you don't want to affect the field values of that file).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version