topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 834387 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #1075 on: October 20, 2008, 11:26 AM »

# A Grid is a view - the Grid view is dictated by the "source" field which is usually a tick-box field - if something is ticked in this column it is shown in the grid.
If you create a new grid, say called "LOLCats", a new field is automatically created called "LOLCats" - top-level items in this Grid have field "LOLCats" ticked.

tomos,

Now you are confusing me too! The "Source" is a toolbar with a drop-down menu that sits directly over the top of the grid, isn't it? I think what you are describing here is what you see when you click on "Manage Fields".

Or maybe I am just not understanding your point.

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1076 on: October 20, 2008, 11:30 AM »
Cool! PPLandry already added a change I suggested and I've used the tool for minutes; this is very promising!

Some other thing that is fundamental is search; since superboyac loves live search, I'm sure this has been suggested and implemented; I just don't know how to get it to work. ctrl shift F does something close, but not exaclty. See how oneNote highlights the tabs AND occurrences on the page? That kind of thing. Is this possible?

Also, how about a global shortcut to send it/get it back from the tray?
I think Ctrl-Q is the live search.  But there are no highlighting features yet.  I've suggested it to Pierre a long, long time ago, but I should do it again.  We ask so much of him!!

My idea was to have a permanently docked search box (like evernote) at the top of the screen which will be a universal filter for whatever grid is shown.  Then whatever you type in that box will be filtered in the grid automatically, just like in evernote.   And of course, the matching terms should be highlighted, like Evernote.
For searches across multiple grids, use the Ctrl-Q...as for highlighting and such, that's a little more complicated since the matches are all over the place in different grids.  I'd have to think about that more.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1077 on: October 20, 2008, 11:42 AM »
I think Ctrl-Q is the live search.

Yours may be CTRL-Q, but the default for search (i.e. live-search) is CTRL-F, either way, you'll find it in Edit>Find
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1078 on: October 20, 2008, 11:44 AM »

# A Grid is a view - the Grid view is dictated by the "source" field which is usually a tick-box field - if something is ticked in this column it is shown in the grid.
If you create a new grid, say called "LOLCats", a new field is automatically created called "LOLCats" - top-level items in this Grid have field "LOLCats" ticked.

tomos,

Now you are confusing me too! The "Source" is a toolbar with a drop-down menu that sits directly over the top of the grid, isn't it? I think what you are describing here is what you see when you click on "Manage Fields".

Jim

Both you and tomos are correct. The Source bar is the toolbar just above the grid. The grid source is the left-most combobox, the filter is shown in the center and sort is on the right side [edit] These control what items are displayed and in what order [/edit]
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:02 PM by PPLandry »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1079 on: October 20, 2008, 01:13 PM »

tomos,

Jim

Both you and tomos are correct. The Source bar is the toolbar just above the grid. The grid source is the left-most combobox, the filter is shown in the center and sort is on the right side

Thanks Pierre. Appreciate the clarification.

Jim

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1080 on: October 21, 2008, 07:37 AM »
I think this is more filtering but I'm just more comfortable being able to create a column of sorts of this in the chance that I mess up my column orders and just want my default order back.

I dont follow the last sentence there ?

Oh, it's just that I'm under the impression that columns are usually for sorting alphabetically, by date and all other static stuff and I usually am not organized. I just randomly order things and hope that when I need to re-organize something, I can hopefully just drag and drop it which makes me fear the column.

by grid "submenu" - I guess you mean the list of grids shown as tabs on the side ..

Oh no, I meant this...

GridSubmenu.png

See? There's a grid option and then there's a grids menu.

I've followed Armando's example and created a button which shows a drop down list of your grids in alphabetical order - now have this placed on top. I find it less confusing then the tabs on the left - my main problem with them is they dont show all grids & it can get very confusing

Thanks. I really wasn't looking for this but on hindsight, I much prefer it this way too.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1081 on: October 21, 2008, 08:28 AM »
Menu: View > Grids = is a fairly akward way of accessing grids = what you see on the left (tabbed grid list)
Menu: Grids           = settings for your grids
Personally, I think a big icon (maybe with grids written on it!) that would show a dropdown alphabetical list would suffice - or maybe a list on the left that autohides like the other panels can?

Re sorting - I believe there is a way of saving a manually organised order (or maybe it's just been requested)
I find on restarting programme or refresh it defaults to sorting by the number column on the very left (I dont like that myself - it means sorting by the order that items were added to the grid)

I would have thought "save item state" in the Grid submenu should save your ordering but it doesnt. Maybe Pierre will comment here ?  It will save the state of the grid if you refresh in the sense if you have expanded some items and others not (refresh is still necessary if you make certain changes)
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1082 on: October 21, 2008, 08:31 AM »
Thanks. I'm glad to hear there's something like this for this kind of program. Maybe it could be even expanded to a restore session feature for the really paranoid among us.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1083 on: October 21, 2008, 11:22 AM »
This has been discussed before.  I don't know if anyone has made a formal request for it on Mantis, but we probably should.  In my view, there is more than one thing to consider here:

--The grids can be organized, resorted, filtered in a variety of ways, so it would be nice to be able to save certain grid "states".  Furthermore, if you have saved several grid states for a grid, it would be nice to have some kind of "states manager" so we can quickly choose one of the states.

--On a similar level, the layout of IQ can be configured several ways...toolbars, html pane location, autohide on/off, properties pane, etc.   So it would be good to have a "layout manager" very similar to the states manager I mentioned above.

I've seen similar things on other programs I use that have very flexible layouts and a variety of settings to choose from.  Autocad comes to mind (workspace settings, saved layouts, saved views, saved coordinates) and so does Directory Opus (save layouts).

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1084 on: October 21, 2008, 11:05 PM »
I think Ctrl-Q is the live search.

Yours may be CTRL-Q, but the default for search (i.e. live-search) is CTRL-F, either way, you'll find it in Edit>Find

I have mine set to ctrl+shift+f so that it doesn't interfere with the html pane search own search  mini-window.

Menu: View > Grids = is a fairly akward way of accessing grids = what you see on the left (tabbed grid list) [...] Personally, I think a big icon (maybe with grids written on it!) that would show a dropdown alphabetical list would suffice - or maybe a list on the left that autohides like the other panels can?

I don't remember, really -- because most of my toolbars are modified (everything is customizable) , but I believe  the original toolbar configuration sets the grid "submenu" as an icon on the "Grid Context" toolbar...??

I personally use that icon all the time -- can trigger it using ctrl-shift-o and start typing to get to your grids quickly and press enter. Simple -- not exactly find & run robot -- but good enough, and the most convenient way to quickly open grids... if you have more than 30!

We've discussed grid hierarchies in the past too, and this is something Pierre might include.

Re sorting - I believe there is a way of saving a manually organised order (or maybe it's just been requested)
I find on restarting programme or refresh it defaults to sorting by the number column on the very left (I dont like that myself - it means sorting by the order that items were added to the grid)

I would have thought "save item state" in the Grid submenu should save your ordering but it doesnt. Maybe Pierre will comment here ?  It will save the state of the grid if you refresh in the sense if you have expanded some items and others not (refresh is still necessary if you make certain changes)

If you don't put anything in the "sort" filter text box, or if you don't use the "sort criterias applies to subitems" option, all subitems of any item will keep its arbitrary order (ie : if you move an item to the top, it will stay there.) This doesn't work with top level items though. If you don't put anything in the "sort" filter text box, I believe that items appear in the order they were created, or something like that. I know that Pierre has some ideas for different types of "arbitrary" or "chosen" orderings (like : paragraphs in text, chapters in a novel...). We've discussed that in the past, but it seems that the level of need for that feature has been superseded by other needs.

Save item state is just for the way hierarchies are displayed (expanded or not, etc.). It's not about saving sorting.... well I if does save sorting... I never noticed!

The grids can be organized, resorted, filtered in a variety of ways, so it would be nice to be able to save certain grid "states".  Furthermore, if you have saved several grid states for a grid, it would be nice to have some kind of "states manager" so we can quickly choose one of the states.

Grid states... yes. "Save item state" works pretty well though as it keeps everything as it was when one last closed the grids. (well... it should)

As for saving grid states, when the "named filters" (ie : menus with a bunch of created filters, with human names, which you can associate with operators, etc.) will arrive, it should help quite a bit

Of course, that doesn't replace completely what would/could be different grid organizations (a bit like Outlook views). But... I usually create new grids when I really need a different layout. If grids could be organized hierarchically, this would help classification of different "views", of course.

On a similar level, the layout of IQ can be configured several ways...toolbars, html pane location, autohide on/off, properties pane, etc.   So it would be good to have a "layout manager" very similar to the states manager I mentioned above.

I've seen similar things on other programs I use that have very flexible layouts and a variety of settings to choose from.  Autocad comes to mind (workspace settings, saved layouts, saved views, saved coordinates) and so does Directory Opus (save layouts).

Actually Pierre talked about having a grid interdependent "layout memory". Eg : One grid would have the html pane at the bottom, the other one wouldn't have one, the other one would have it on the right, etc. The layout will also become even more flexible with what Pierre calls Ecco-like combo views, etc. I don't know when that will be available though.

Some (or even most) of these suggestions are already in mantis. I'll check this out next week (Pierre's priority is the calendar, recurring tasks, etc. though.)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1085 on: October 21, 2008, 11:11 PM »
Thanks Armando, you are the man.  Seriously, Pierre should hire you!  One day, I want you to write a big long thing about how you use IQ...I'll even feature it on my website.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1086 on: October 21, 2008, 11:51 PM »
Thanks Armando, you are the man.  Seriously, Pierre should hire you!  One day, I want you to write a big long thing about how you use IQ...I'll even feature it on my website.

Well, you've guessed right...

For years, I was both developer of IQ and consultant (to existing corporate IQ customers, here in Montreal). While this helps pay the bills, it does slow down development. So I needed to find consultant(s) to help me out with customers and posted a number of messages to encourage users to become IQ consultants.

As Armando and I live near eachother, we have met a number of times in the last year and it appears that Armando should soon do part of the consultant work and become the first IQ consultant  :Thmbsup: Anyone else interested?

Pierre

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1087 on: October 22, 2008, 12:06 AM »
Pierre,

I'd be happy to help out, but it would of course have to be in a non-IQ technical way, considering my novice level of IQ knowledge. If there is anything else I can do to help, let me know.

Purely voluntary, naturally!

Jim

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1088 on: October 22, 2008, 02:16 AM »
Actually Pierre talked about having a grid interdependent "layout memory". Eg : One grid would have the html pane at the bottom, the other one wouldn't have one, the other one would have it on the right, etc. The layout will also become even more flexible with what Pierre calls Ecco-like combo views, etc. I don't know when that will be available though.

Thanks. I'll wait until SQLNotes has this to try it again.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1089 on: October 22, 2008, 08:51 AM »
This is sort of off topic, but I've just made a wishlist for Calendar functionality HERE, and wondered whether IQ is likely to be able to do any of that. It seems to me to be the sort of databsase driven program that might.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1090 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56 AM »
This is sort of off topic, but I've just made a wishlist for Calendar functionality HERE, and wondered whether IQ is likely to be able to do any of that. It seems to me to be the sort of databsase driven program that might.

I would say all is planned except:
I would like to be able to drag new items on to previous items and have the previous item automatically made into a folder with the same name and containing the new item(s)).

Instead of the item being made into a folder, the item would have sub-items (1 sub-item for each dragged item), in keeping with the IQ concept

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1091 on: October 22, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Instead of the item being made into a folder, the item would have sub-items (1 sub-item for each dragged item), in keeping with the IQ concept

Sub-items are better - I just used 'folder' as an analogy really.

Sounds really good. I'd certainly use/buy IQ with this functionality.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1092 on: October 22, 2008, 10:26 AM »
Well, you've guessed right...

For years, I was both developer of IQ and consultant (to existing corporate IQ customers, here in Montreal). While this helps pay the bills, it does slow down development. So I needed to find consultant(s) to help me out with customers and posted a number of messages to encourage users to become IQ consultants.

As Armando and I live near eachother, we have met a number of times in the last year and it appears that Armando should soon do part of the consultant work and become the first IQ consultant  :Thmbsup: Anyone else interested?

Pierre
Ah!  Very nice!  You've made an excellent choice, Pierre.  I've always been a little jealous at how much more Armando knows about IQ than I do.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1093 on: October 22, 2008, 10:32 AM »
Really?
Are you the one giving me these weird anonymous phone calls at 4 am?
 :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1094 on: October 22, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Really?
Are you the one giving me these weird anonymous phone calls at 4 am?
 :)
No, but if you give me your number I will.  I'll read an excerpt from the IQ wiki in a sexy voice and hang up.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1095 on: October 22, 2008, 01:21 PM »
I'm looking forward to it... 8)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1096 on: November 06, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Just an update... I'm finishing up the FireFox extension, which will ease web content clipping
1- Grab whole page, plus URL
2- Grab current selection, plus URL

Anything else worth grabbing? i.e. Title, page date, grab date, etc.

What are your thoughts on UI. Should the clip go straight to the database, or should you be presented the New Item UI, to better control the import? I can hear the answer... you want both  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:01 PM by PPLandry »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1097 on: November 06, 2008, 10:26 PM »
My vote is for directly to the database. That's how most are and that works well for me. If I need to do any significant editing first, I have two methods for doing that:

• Clip to Local Website Archive and that has an editor.
  • Clip to Scrapbook in Firefox and that also has a decent editor.

Jim

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1098 on: November 06, 2008, 10:34 PM »
I understand, but the issue here is not just editing, it is storage. Other clippers have just 1 storage per file. In IQ, you can:

- put it in any folder (i.e. field), to be displayed in one or more grids...
- You may also want to control what will be the item text
- You may also want that the item keeps accumulating your clips (format: URL + CR + the actual clip + Hoz. Line), as an aggregate page

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1099 on: November 06, 2008, 11:00 PM »
I understand, but the issue here is not just editing, it is storage. Other clippers have just 1 storage per file. In IQ, you can:

- put it in any folder (i.e. field), to be displayed in one or more grids...
- You may also want to control what will be the item text
- You may also want that the item keeps accumulating your clips (format: URL + CR + the actual clip + Hoz. Line), as an aggregate page

Not sure that I understand you Pierre.  What is a "folder" in IQ? Actually I don’t have any! And this is absolutely the first time I have heard anyone mention folders in IQ.

Did I miss something? You have "field" in parenthises; is every field a folder? (Oh no, now I'm confusing me too!)

How do you mean "control the item text"? I'm talking about capturing a web page or part of a web page. Do you mean edit the text on the page? If so, I explained that above.

And as for the "item keeps accumulating your clips", how would clipping directly to the database affect that?

Jim