ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (213/235) > >>

Paul Keith:
# Columns/Fields are simply a way of storing info about your item - you can sort by the columns (first by one, then by another, etc, etc). Probably more important - you can filter by column/field and by the content of the field.
Fields can be numerical, date, text, yes/no tick-boxes, or drop-down - where you can select from a drop-down list.
Examples could be | Cost | Date | Date Checked | ToDo by date | Project | Topic | Related to | etc, and Tick-box ones: | Finalised | Checked | Forwarded | Lyrics attatched | ToDo | Error | Reg.Key attatched | etc, etc.
You can set up tick-box fields to change the background colour of the item when ticked (ToDo & Done fields do this already)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I think this is why it confuses me. I'm used to something more... tag cloud based but not really a tag cloud. Something like sort by most edited or most viewed and a much clearer indicator of whether I'm viewing from least to most or most to least than the up and down arrows which I'm not used to but mostly I'm more used to the Tag Cluster Folder way of having a predefined folder that shows only certain tags that have been marked to it or a requirement of showing only items that have all marked tags attributed to it.

I think this is more filtering but I'm just more comfortable being able to create a column of sorts of this in the chance that I mess up my column orders and just want my default order back.

This isn't actually how I see most programs do it but it's a bad habit acquired from using Incollector where there's both a search engine for filtering entries, a tag checkbox engine for tag filtering and a folders engine for filtering via attributed tags where the weakness is more along the lines of precise filtering that columns provide.

# A Grid is a view - the Grid view is dictated by the "source" field which is usually a tick-box field - if something is ticked in this column it is shown in the grid.
If you create a new grid, say called "LOLCats", a new field is automatically created called "LOLCats" - top-level items in this Grid have field "LOLCats" ticked.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I get this but it's still kinda confusing at first due to there being a grid submenu too. It's just hard getting used to this. I know the sidebar is there by default to make it easier but it's less about the easeness but more along the lines that it creates doubt when exploring options because I'm not really sure if there's other options that are like these. Earlier in the thread PPLandry did say that there were some hotkeys under options and there were other hotkeys in right click - customize so that's one of the confusing parts about the program. I know this is the norm for Microsoft Office and OpenOffice interfaces but that's why I could never customize both of those programs' toolbar to have more of a Wordpad + some more features ever and just gave up on the idea.

I downloaded and tried SN.
I'm looking for something that beats oneNote and is portable.
--- End quote ---

Not to try to sidetrack the topic here but I've been racking my brains the past few days trying to understand OneNote and I find it even more complicated than IQ. I even remember that one time where suddenly all my entries that were inside this one category expanded to individual categories and I couldn't drag and drop them in.

The box to drag thing is also very confusing and I find my head scratching everytime I have to go to themes just to change the background but then lose my old template lay-out.

The tags are also annoying in the sense that you're either limited to a few with hotkeys or you have to constantly click on the gui. I couldn't find a way where I can watermark an area so that only when I finish typing can I choose what kind of tag should be in what section.

The only thing that I found superior about it to IQ is the sidebar grids which are actually real buttons by default where as all IQ's themes are markers. Oh and there's probably that whole thing about being able to clip pages, voice records and other things but the lay-out is just a scary Rube Goldberg trap that looks simple at first but then the more use it, the more it sprungs open.

superboyac:
Yes, that's partially why I'm still testing IQ even though it looks very tree based from the get go. I wouldn't really consider a long list, a departure from tree-based hierarchies because not only is a long list unmanageable IMO in the sense that if such organizations were alright to a user than they don't need an organizer because they can do this straight from a File Explorer but also because the list is just a reduction of the tree and not really a separate entity like how items are in IQ's grid. (paraphrasing from PPLandry's words)
--- End quote ---
You are making assumptions here, I think.  Even if you have a long list that is seemingly unmanageable in IQ, you can use the filters in a variety of ways to make the list extremely manageable.

Also, Paul, this is unrelated and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I often can't understand what you are asking for or explaining in your posts.  That's fine if you just want to talk about something with the people here, but you are often asking for information or help.  I really suggest you be more clear and specific in your posts in these cases (keep it as short as possible).  Also, try not to ask for too much all at once.  Make it bite size for us, it will allow us to help you better!  Like, that one thread of yours (you know the one) is a little ridiculous!  That really needs to be several different threads, whether you think so or not.  Anyway, just offering my advice.

superboyac:
I downloaded and tried SN.
I'm looking for something that beats oneNote and is portable.

What made me stop looking is that the html mode doesn't work like an outliner (i.e. tabs indents, then it keeps indentation). This is very basic for me, as I write mostly that way.

I still want to invest more time learning the program, as it looks really promising. Will wait for superboyac's tutorial.

I still think that oneNote is wonderful in its simplicity.
-urlwolf (October 19, 2008, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Onenote is very cool also (even though i don't use it).  As for the html thing, you should definitely tell Pierre about that.  It definitely should be able to do what you are saying, I'm surprised it can't.  I also am wishing for added functionality to the html pane, but so far, it covers most of my needs.

I would advise you to keep an eye open for IQ in case that functionality is eventually added.  It would be a shame to ditch all the other advantages you would have with the program because of that one thing.

PPLandry:
I'll be releasing version 0.9.23.7j, which fixes a few bugs and I've added this feature:

- in HTML pane: tab indents, shift-tab unindents (works for regular text, numbered items and bulleted items (big thanks for the suggestion!)

Armando:
[ooops ... see : Pierre posted as I was writing -.... ]

Are you guys talking about pressing tab "inside" the html pane itself ? Not the grid, right ?

This tab thing is probably very very easy to add/fix. I almost mentioned this myself to Pierre the other day as it was bothering me too.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version