topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 839436 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #1000 on: September 18, 2008, 11:48 AM »
OK, Pierre, I will do the things you say.  I will probably want the Evernote field checked for them all, but I'd like to know what the best way to do this is because I don't want to practice poor habits.

So, please, can you explain why it functions this way?  What's the point of Full Hierarchy?  Why wouldn't I want to enable inheritance?  I just want to make sure I understand it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1001 on: September 19, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Now, why they don't all have "Evernote" checked is confusing to me.  They were all entered in the Evernote grid so they should have it checked automatically when the item is created.  Actually, I'm noticing that all the top level items have "Evernote" checked and the lower level items do not.

that is default behaviour - this way you get to see the parent items & can expand as you wish
I know Armando works differently but I can never keep up with him ;)

So, please, can you explain why it functions this way?  What's the point of Full Hierarchy?
also curious :)
(I use full hierarchy all the time myself - to the extent I cant remember what the others for!)
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1002 on: September 19, 2008, 03:45 PM »
that is default behaviour - this way you get to see the parent items & can expand as you wish
That is not surprising as Armando and I think alike on a lot of this stuff.  So, I don't see what's the point of having a show all subitems feature because there's already that little expand tick under the item bullet that hides/expands the subitems.  If I don't see the tick there, I assume there are no subitems.
It's confusing to me.  I understand if you want to hide items using the filters and stuff.  That makes sense, it's logical.  But this is confusing because the item is being hidden because it's a sub-item?  That's confusing to me.  When an item is created, I prefer the grid it's created in to be automatically checked.  It doesn't make sense to add an item to a database and then the item is not associated with any grid by default.  By default, all items should be associated with the grid it was created in.  If you don't like that behavior, then you can uncheck it later.  That makes more sense to me.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1003 on: September 21, 2008, 11:33 PM »
Now, why they don't all have "Evernote" checked is confusing to me.  They were all entered in the Evernote grid so they should have it checked automatically when the item is created.  Actually, I'm noticing that all the top level items have "Evernote" checked and the lower level items do not.
Now about the 80-something items that keep disappearing.  All except one do NOT have "Evernote" checked.  All these items were created in the Evernote grid.  I would have expected the default behavior is to have the grid name field checked when items are created in that grid.

Again, remember, I don't ever touch the source box or do anything with filters.
That is not surprising as Armando and I think alike on a lot of this stuff.  So, I don't see what's the point of having a show all subitems feature because there's already that little expand tick under the item bullet that hides/expands the subitems.  If I don't see the tick there, I assume there are no subitems.
It's confusing to me.  I understand if you want to hide items using the filters and stuff.  That makes sense, it's logical.  But this is confusing because the item is being hidden because it's a sub-item?  That's confusing to me.  When an item is created, I prefer the grid it's created in to be automatically checked.  It doesn't make sense to add an item to a database and then the item is not associated with any grid by default.  By default, all items should be associated with the grid it was created in.  If you don't like that behavior, then you can uncheck it later.  That makes more sense to me.

This is an interesting discussion... I'm running short on time but....

Yes, this is the default behavior.

I talked about this matter with Pierre quite a few times as I find this behavior unintuitive -- flat view should  show all items, even when subitems are not meeting the source. Because flat view doesn't show all items with the default settings (inheritance is off), i have to enable inheritance for all fields that are used as grids sources.

And so I think it would be better for "inheritance" to be the default setting for grid sources (at least the simple sources).

one of course  has to keep in mind that these "default behaviors" will have some consequences and so they have to be well thought of before they're implemented.

There were reasons for Pierre's initial choice... mainly influenced by Ecco's logic, IIRC; the problem is that SQLNotes is much more sophisticated, allows multiple parents, etc. so... Ecco's way is probably not the best. Pierre can comment on that if he wishes to.

So, like I said, I personally tend to enable inheritance for all fields which are used as grids sources -- with a few exception. The reasons are simple, I want to : 1- be able to see all items when Hierarchical view is off, 2- be able to filter in/out items from a grid more easily, 3- be able to trace more easily all the items contexts (grids) in which they're used (especially when they're used in different grids...), 4- be able to use the "quick add item" to send bits of data to my database, assigning different fields without destroying the logic in a grid (ie : all items in a grid ave the main Yes/NO field-source "ticked", not just a few here and there).

As for the "full hierarchy" mode, etc. I never ever use the normal (not full) hierarchy mode. I don't because items won't appear more than once (when they have multiple parents) in the hierarchy, and I have no use for such a function. I wonder if anybody does? In the end, I always use either the Full hierarchy mode, or "flat" mode.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:38 PM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1004 on: September 21, 2008, 11:39 PM »
Edited previous post. Still badly written, but not as bad as the first version.  :-[

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1005 on: October 05, 2008, 08:07 PM »
I agree about the inheritance stuff (sorry, I missed this post forever).

Where are functions stored in SN?  I created my own functions a long time ago for my transcript grid, but since then I've uninstalled and overwritten the SN files many times over.  But the grid still works...so I was wondering where custom functions are stored.

By the way, I like the new name...InfoQube.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1006 on: October 05, 2008, 08:18 PM »
The usercode (now called VBScript editor) is now divided into 3 sections:
1- system code  : supplied with the software
2- user code      : your code, common to all databases
3- database code: code specific to a given database

The priority is: 3 superceeds 2 which superceeds 1 (that is, if you have the same function name in user code and database code, the database code will run)

As your transcript grid is part of the sample database, I've also put it in System code (1) for now. When release time comes, it will most likely be moved to database code, where IMO it belongs really.

BTW, I'm now full-time on the calendar, a subject that you know quite a bit about... IYO is CalendarScope still the goal?
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1007 on: October 05, 2008, 08:27 PM »
Sounds good Pierre!

Yes, I am still quietly working with SN. Nothing big, but a bunch of little items. (Baby steps for me!)

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1008 on: October 05, 2008, 10:08 PM »
I hear, ya, Jim. Baby steps for me, too. It's been a while since I had SQLNotes installed and I'm finding my feet.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1009 on: October 05, 2008, 11:24 PM »
I'm still pining for some kind of documentation!!  I get pretty lost without instructions - usually break things!

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1010 on: October 05, 2008, 11:52 PM »
The usercode (now called VBScript editor) is now divided into 3 sections:
1- system code  : supplied with the software
2- user code      : your code, common to all databases
3- database code: code specific to a given database

The priority is: 3 superceeds 2 which superceeds 1 (that is, if you have the same function name in user code and database code, the database code will run)

As your transcript grid is part of the sample database, I've also put it in System code (1) for now. When release time comes, it will most likely be moved to database code, where IMO it belongs really.

BTW, I'm now full-time on the calendar, a subject that you know quite a bit about... IYO is CalendarScope still the goal?
I see, that's very useful the way you've organized the code.

As for the calendar, yes, Calendarscope is still the best from what I've seen.  I can go into detail later, but it's distinguishing features are it's speed (lightweight), the way it handles colors and categories, and it's interface.

But I also know that most users will want a more complex calendar than what I'm used to using.  Especially since SN can do anything, they are going to want more complex management of appointments/tasks and linking with Outlook (probably) and stuff like that.  I can't even begin to think about it!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1011 on: October 06, 2008, 12:47 AM »
Pierre,

I'm curious: Is the new portable version taking the place of the regular installed version? I see that 0.9.23.7i is the latest version but it is only available as a portable version, while 0.9.23.6 is the latest version available with an installer package. Are there new improvements, features, bug fixes, etc. available ONLY in the portable version? Are you abandoning the installer version?

Thank you.

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1012 on: October 06, 2008, 04:47 AM »
Is the new portable version taking the place of the regular installed version? I see that 0.9.23.7i is the latest version but it is only available as a portable version, while 0.9.23.6 is the latest version available with an installer package. Are there new improvements, features, bug fixes, etc. available ONLY in the portable version? Are you abandoning the installer version?

That was asked somewhere in SQLN forums - I'm not looking for it :) but the answers were roughly:

> Are there new improvements, features, bug fixes, etc. available ONLY in the portable version? = YES (at the moment)

> Are you abandoning the installer version? = NO (but sort of for the moment!)
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1013 on: October 06, 2008, 06:21 AM »
I'm curious: Is the new portable version taking the place of the regular installed version? I see that 0.9.23.7i is the latest version but it is only available as a portable version, while 0.9.23.6 is the latest version available with an installer package. Are there new improvements, features, bug fixes, etc. available ONLY in the portable version? Are you abandoning the installer version?

Technically, there is only 1 version. One is distributed as a zip of all files (portable), the second is through an installer. The 2 are identical with 1 distinction: the portable does not (yet) associate the .sndb extension with SQLNotes.

The 2 distributions will be maintained. Lack of time is the only reason why I've neglected the installer. I'll fix it this week.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1014 on: October 06, 2008, 09:15 AM »
Any other users of Mouser's CH&S (clipboard extender) here?

I find trying to paste into the html pane often (maybe always) doesnt work -
last copied text is no problem but trying to paste an older clip doesnt work -
I will post in CH&S area but wanted to check here with other SQLN users first ...
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1015 on: October 06, 2008, 11:42 AM »
The latest SQLNotes seems to have issues with copy/paste in the html pane.  I don't know if that was fixed.  I also don't know about CH&S...I'm using ARSclip (sorry mouser!).

check that...the copy/paste has been fixed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:46 AM by superboyac »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1016 on: October 06, 2008, 11:56 AM »
Can someone help give me a template to export selected items to html?  I'm using the html export and I don't really have time to figure out how to make one.  The default works fine, but it doesn't show the contents of the html pane.  I need something that works just like default but also shows the html pane content.  Thanks.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1017 on: October 06, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Can someone help give me a template to export selected items to html?  I'm using the html export and I don't really have time to figure out how to make one.  The default works fine, but it doesn't show the contents of the html pane.  I need something that works just like default but also shows the html pane content.  Thanks.

Have you ticked "Include html below the item" ?
it works here, hang on, here's the settings I used just now to check

SQLnotes51.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

but basically ticking that option should work
Tom
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:52 PM by tomos »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1018 on: October 06, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Yeah, I checked that, but it doesn't work for me.  I mean, it doesn't show the html pane content.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1019 on: October 06, 2008, 01:39 PM »
Yeah, I checked that, but it doesn't work for me.  I mean, it doesn't show the html pane content.

odd, one for Pierre then, as I say, it works fine here -
I dont think a template will make any difference if the basic export doesnt work for you
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1020 on: October 06, 2008, 01:41 PM »
@superboyac,

Can you give a screenshot of your settings? Like Tomos said, it works fine...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1021 on: October 06, 2008, 03:33 PM »
@superboyac,

Can you give a screenshot of your settings? Like Tomos said, it works fine...
Here's the screenshot:
Screenshot_20081006-133248.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1022 on: October 06, 2008, 03:39 PM »
OK got it. There is a small bug. You can either:
1- Uncheck use HTML style bulleted list, or
2- make sure you select item rows (Item>Select item)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1023 on: October 10, 2008, 01:43 PM »

Did you get it to work correctly?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1024 on: October 10, 2008, 02:13 PM »

Did you get it to work correctly?
Yes, I did, thanks.  Being able to export a bunch of selected items is very useful, especially when I need to send a report or something to someone.  You just export to html and email the file.