topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 834285 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #975 on: September 16, 2008, 12:20 PM »
I searched for one of the items and in the properties it says that it is shown in 0 grids.  So I don't think it's shown in any grid regardless of the filter.
I just installed the portable version and it shuts down (crashes) every time I try to open the properties pane.

I'll check it immediately as another user was having this problem...
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #976 on: September 16, 2008, 12:24 PM »
That's because -- IIRC -- the "shown in" field tells you where the item is shown *currently*. If it's filtered out of all grids, it's nowhere.

>I just installed the portable version and it shuts down (crashes) every time I try to open the properties pane.

hmmmm.... someone reported the same thing in the SQLNotes forum. Doesn't happen here... weird...

[EDIT : ok... I'll let pierre handle this for today!  ;D]

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #977 on: September 16, 2008, 01:49 PM »
That's because -- IIRC -- the "shown in" field tells you where the item is shown *currently*. If it's filtered out of all grids, it's nowhere.
Really?  Is that the best way for that feature to function?  Shouldn't it tell me what grid it's in regardless of the filter?  Wouldn't that be more useful?  That way, when I go to a grid and see something missing, I can search for it and double-check to see if it was really in that grid or not.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #978 on: September 16, 2008, 01:52 PM »
Really?  Is that the best way for that feature to function?  Shouldn't it tell me what grid it's in regardless of the filter?  Wouldn't that be more useful?  That way, when I go to a grid and see something missing, I can search for it and double-check to see if it was really in that grid or not.
Remember grids don't contain items, they display them, and if it does not display it, then it isn't there.

I've fixed the properties pane issue. Users may download it
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #979 on: September 16, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Remember grids don't contain items, they display them, and if it does not display it, then it isn't there.

I've fixed the properties pane issue. Users may download it
I get that.  The problem I'm running into is this.  I create a bunch of items in a grid.  I come back and those items aren't there anymore.  I didn't do anything with filters or such.  So, how can I "recover" those items into the original grid?  I thought I could use the field for "shown in x grids" to see which grid the items were originally in.  Then I could use that information to figure out what is hiding the item.  Honestly, I don't think I've ever used a filter on a grid yet to purposefully hide items, yet I've had several occasions where items have just disappeared from grids.  This will probably be worked out in future versions, but in the mean time I just wanted to see if there was a way to recover the items when this occurs.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #980 on: September 16, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Perhaps you can try a repair?

Otherwise, can you find one such item and report which fields are filled, along with the grid parameters (source, filter, etc) ?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #981 on: September 16, 2008, 03:54 PM »
So how can I recover my lost items?  There are a lot of them.  If possible, I need to search and find all items that are NOT shown in any grids, and then assign the Evernote grid to them all.  Repair didn't work.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #982 on: September 16, 2008, 03:55 PM »
So how can I recover my lost items?  There are a lot of them.  If possible, I need to search and find all items that are NOT shown in any grids, and then assign the Evernote grid to them all.  Repair didn't work.

Do you see them in live-search? If yes, select a few and report the filled fields, along with the grid settings

The journal can also be used

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #983 on: September 16, 2008, 04:06 PM »
I find them in the live-search.  I seem to have deleted the Journal grid (I tend to do that for the grids I don't use, I know, bad habit from the old days).  The only filled fields is Item.
I see all 81 siblings in the list.  I also see the parent item shown, which is weird because the parent item is showing in the grid, but not the siblings.  But it is saying that it's shown in 0 grids.

Do you have any idea why these items would just disappear?  This disappearing stuff is the only hangup I have with SQL.  Remember in prior versions I had the issue with the HTML pane?  Now this.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #984 on: September 16, 2008, 04:11 PM »
OK we're progressing...

So you see the parent in the grid? And in the properties pane, the 81 children are shown?

But when you expand the parent, the children are not shown?

If all this is true, you probably enabled Grid > Filter criteria applies to sub-items

Alternatively, you can right-click the parent and select "Show All sub-items"

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #985 on: September 16, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Ah!  Great!  The filter criteria thing was not enabled so that wasn't it.  But the right click worked.

So that's great.  THanks.  My only question is why did this happen when I absolutely didn't modify any of these settings.  For the most part, my extent of using SN is just entering items in grids.  I have very rarely even touched any of the buttons and options.  THat's why it's puzzling to me when this stuff happens.  I 'm not really touching all these features.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #986 on: September 16, 2008, 05:26 PM »
It is difficult for me to know, but are you sure that it isn't because the parent was simply closed? If you have an image of how it was, it could help

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #987 on: September 16, 2008, 06:37 PM »
That could be it, but the confusing part is that the little "expand" tick wasn't under the bullet.  So how am I supposed to know it was there?  Sorry, but I'm a little busy right now, or else I'd be attaching screenshots and stuff.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #988 on: September 17, 2008, 02:50 AM »
I seem to have deleted the Journal grid (I tend to do that for the grids I don't use, I know, bad habit from the old days).

You probably dont have it cause your file is old - mine doesnt, it was introduced since I created my file

you probably know this already,
but either the items, or their parent (or some item higher up the hierarchy) must have the source field ticked/filled in order to show in a grid.
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #989 on: September 17, 2008, 11:19 AM »
you probably know this already,
but either the items, or their parent (or some item higher up the hierarchy) must have the source field ticked/filled in order to show in a grid.
It's true, I know that (for the most part).  I don't really have an issue with the way the program works.  My problem is that I rarely (if ever) mess around with the filters and sophisticated display options.  All I do is add items to grids and that's it.  So when I come back and it's gone, it's confusing.  So when I get answers like "check the source filter" or something like that, my response is "Why should I?  I never touched it or anything like that in the first place."

I know the information in SN is very flexible and powerful with the way you can display it.  I just want to help keep the simple aspects of the program simple.  I love powerful programs, but I also appropriate simplicity if that makes any sense.

And I love it when authors fix issues with their program in a matter of minutes!  THanks Pierre.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #990 on: September 17, 2008, 03:02 PM »
I seem to have deleted the Journal grid (I tend to do that for the grids I don't use, I know, bad habit from the old days).

You probably dont have it cause your file is old - mine doesnt, it was introduced since I created my file

The Journal grid is nothing but a simple grid with no source (=(All items)) or filter. The DateFilter toolbar is active and using the ItemCreated (and/or ItemModified) field.

[edit] This grid will show all items created over a given period of time (day, week, month, user-defined nb days). Any date fields can be used, so you can use it to show due dates, items modified, whatever [/edit]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:39 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #991 on: September 17, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Ah!  That's very useful (the Journal grid, that is).  I remember asking for such a thing a long while ago.  Cool!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #992 on: September 17, 2008, 04:04 PM »
It keeps hiding those items whenever I restart SN.  Why?  It's not doing it for other items.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #993 on: September 17, 2008, 04:07 PM »
Why is ctrl-c copying disabled in the html pane for me?

Also, when I switch from SN to another application, SN starts blinking in the taskbar...why?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #994 on: September 17, 2008, 04:20 PM »
It keeps hiding those items whenever I restart SN.  Why?  It's not doing it for other items.

Perhaps Grid > Save Item State is not checked...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #995 on: September 17, 2008, 04:35 PM »
No, it's checked.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #996 on: September 18, 2008, 02:47 AM »
Why is ctrl-c copying disabled in the html pane for me?

that's a bug in latest version, or something - it's being worked on at any rate (reported in the sqln forum)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #997 on: September 18, 2008, 02:52 AM »

is there any difference between these & other items ? - especially with regard to the source field
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #998 on: September 18, 2008, 10:55 AM »
Actually there is something I don't quite understand.  By the way, this is all happening in the grid labeled 'Evernote".
OK, so some of the items just disappear when I restart SN.  So, I'm looking at the filled fields for the items that work.  Some has "ItemhasHTML" checked, some have "Evernote" checked.  (They all have something in Item).
Now, why they don't all have "Evernote" checked is confusing to me.  They were all entered in the Evernote grid so they should have it checked automatically when the item is created.  Actually, I'm noticing that all the top level items have "Evernote" checked and the lower level items do not.
Now about the 80-something items that keep disappearing.  All except one do NOT have "Evernote" checked.  All these items were created in the Evernote grid.  I would have expected the default behavior is to have the grid name field checked when items are created in that grid.

Again, remember, I don't ever touch the source box or do anything with filters.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #999 on: September 18, 2008, 11:00 AM »
OK got it. Either remove the Evernote check for the item that has EverNote checked OR enable Full Hierarchy (grid>hierarchy>Full hierarchy). This behaviour is normal and I can explain if desired.

[edit]If you want all items in the Evernote grid to have Evernote checked, enable Inheritance for the EverNote field. Not necessarly required, but if you want, this is the way to do it [/edit]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:04 AM by PPLandry »