topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 834290 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #950 on: July 31, 2008, 10:47 AM »
I use it daily too (of course)  ;)

>Is there anything I can do before exiting the program that sort of ensures me that the changes are being saved?
You could click the save button, change item and come back to it

>I still think it's important to have a more sophisticated backup settings
True, but if the content is never saved, a backup will not help you. We must track this down first.

A QuickSearch does not find the missing info? [Edit]I see that it did[/Edit]

>and I don't see some of the items I added yesterday.
Use the journal grid (or a similar one with the DateFilter) to see items added yesterday. I don't recall ever loosing items...

>But in the properties, they appear in no grids, which is weird because I obviously entered them in a grid
You mean that they have no fields filled (other than the Item field)? There is a bug in the current version, where if the grid source field contains a space in the name, it isn't auto-assigned, hence would not show in the grid. This is now fixed. Updated version will be out today.

>Now, how do I add the lost items back into the proper grid?  Do I have to move it manually, or can I restore it somehow?
Simply assign fields to those items such that the grid will show it. It could be as simple as checking a yes/no field, or more complex. It all depends on the grid (source, filter, AlphaFilter, DateFilter). Show a screenshot if you're having problems.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:49 AM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #951 on: July 31, 2008, 11:06 AM »
Hi superboyac,

Like you I use the software daily, and apart from the transient html problem I've never lost a thing.
the reason why items might disappear from a grid are (usually) only because of filter/source related problem (ie : your items characteristics/properties don't match the source/filter).

Don't forget that grids don't "contain" items. They're just displaying items depending on the relation between : the grid's source/filters (open the source bar to see these : alt-s) and  the items' properties (shown in the properties pane : filled fields).

To "move back" (or, rather, "have your grid display") your items in a grid or another : just change the grid's source and filters accordingly, or make sure that your items match the source by filling the right field (with the right data...).

There might be situations where items are pasted in a grid (XML mode), and maybe a few other situations (I'd have to check), where items do not automatically get assigned the right field values to match the grid's source. You should also make sure that, if your grids have complex source, you have automated whatever needs to be automated for the items to match the source (see the "manage grid" window --> Data -> autoassign the following fields... Note that items get automatically the right values to meet the grid in grids with simple sources)

Pierre : maybe could the "autoassign the following fields" option always be filled with the default value (ie : what's automatically added in the case of simple sources), so one knows what's going to happen to new items...

[edit : Pierre was first... went fo check my coffee, and there he was... I was too slow  :-[ ]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:08 AM by Armando »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #952 on: July 31, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Thanks Pierre, Armando.  I got the lost items back using the check boxes.

Armando, as far as your explanation goes, it makes sense.  However, I rarely play around with the source and filter settings.  I just add an item to the grid and input text into the fields and/or html pane.  So nothing should disappear between sessions because I'm not really messing with anything.  I still think it has something to do with the fact that I deleted some items from the grid, and that caused something to happend.

Pierre, it's true, I don't think I've ever completely lost items, so that's always reassuring.  Ok, back to work, right?

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #953 on: July 31, 2008, 11:52 AM »
I still think it has something to do with the fact that I deleted some items from the grid, and that caused something to happend.

Deleting some items, if they are parents of other items, cans sometimes have that effect.

Let's pick an example happening in the "Inbox" grid (if you still have it in your setting).

1- the grid's source corresponds to the "Inbox" field (ie : the Inbox field needs to be check for any item to appear in the Inbox grid, as it's originally set). Note that this field doesn't have the "value-->sub-item" option checked (in fields properties). It means that only the parents will have the "Inbox field" checked, not the children -- unless you decide otherwise on a case to case basis.

So : for an item to be displayed in the Inbox grid there can be 2 options : 1) the "inbox" field is checked, 2) or the item is to be the children/sub-item of a parent/top-level item already matching the grid's source (this is the case in SQLNotes default configuration).

2- in the "Inbox" grid, if you  you delete some parents, their sub-items won't have parents anymore, and because they didn't necessarily have the "inbox" field checked (sub-items now don't meet the source as top-level items - unless you manually checked the "inbox" field or added the the items through the "add item" window ctrl-alt-n), will disappear from the grid too and will end up in... "no grids land".... They will still be in the database, just invisible.

[EDIT : This is coherent with the "folder metaphor" : remove a parent and the chidren disappear to. Unless you move them elsewhere before you do so.]

It seems complicated, and it is a bit... That's why I usually work with the "value-->sub-items" option turned on for most of my simple sources. It prevents these things from happening : If I delete parents from the grids, the children/sub-items still meet the source. If I turn the "flat view" option on : I see all items, even the sub-items. Etc.

There are a couple small drawbacks in using inheritance (value-->subitems) -- a bit more CPU intensive maybe, and a couple hierarchy display bug -- but not many. I've made the decision to stick to it. Much more coherent with the "add item" window which will automatically assign a specific field to new items, and allows one to have a true flat view of all items displayed in a grid -- essential to me. [EDIT : the "value-->subitems" option can also more easily make some items appear in grids where you don't want them, if you're not careful; but this can be fixed "manually", as everything else!]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:59 AM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #954 on: July 31, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Edited my previous post.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #955 on: July 31, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Yeah, I understand that.  Of course, there are also the confirmation dialogs for removing the children of parent items as a security measure.  My issue was that I removed unrelated items and some other items disappeared, they were not parents or children of each other.  And they only disappeared after I exited SN and reopened it the next day.  So, it's more of a bug rather than an issue with using the system.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #956 on: July 31, 2008, 01:14 PM »
Yeah, I understand that.  Of course, there are also the confirmation dialogs for removing the children of parent items as a security measure.  My issue was that I removed unrelated items and some other items disappeared, they were not parents or children of each other.  And they only disappeared after I exited SN and reopened it the next day.  So, it's more of a bug rather than an issue with using the system.

You can check your backups... to understand what happened. The .bk2 should be yesterday's
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #957 on: July 31, 2008, 03:32 PM »

I think there's still bugs/problems to do with display, especially as you say on first programme start of the day
BTW, I use it daily, for work & some non-work stuff too, but I suppose I use it in fairly limited ways, anyways, I've never lost anything, but at times on restart I have to refresh or do the Crtl+9 shortcut to expand everything fully (presuming your hierarchy isnt more then 9 levels) - or sometimes to right-click an item & click on the display all sub-items icon

I havent had the problem you describe - homeless items -
did it relate to what Pierre said about "the grid source field contains a space in the name" ?

Also BTW, unlike Armando I have just the parent or top-level items as source in the grid (it works this [my] way by default) seems to suit me but I'll have to try his way sometime

I've only skimmed through the previous posts so apologies if I've missed anything
Tom

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #958 on: August 05, 2008, 02:30 AM »
There's most definitely some conflict between ksdhtmledlib.ocx and something on my system, but I haven't got a clue what I can be. I should post to the yahoo group you mentioned earlier. I'll get around to it eventually. Thanks for your help  :Thmbsup:
Uhmmm... ok, so I forgot about posting to the Yahoo! Group, but decided earlier today that I wanted to give it another shot. Maybe some Windows update or something else just magically fixed the issue!? And, sure, now everything is working fine :huh: Now I just need to figure out how to use this thing, but at least it's working and I can see some of its power. :D

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SQLNotes: the next generation information organizer
« Reply #959 on: August 15, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Glad to see that it is now working for you

FYI, Version 0.9.23.6 is coming soon with many interesting improvements:

1. New VBScript editor
   2. VBScript code separated in system, user and database
   3. Improved web clipping
   4. Dated backups
   5. Bug fixes of course, and...
   6. Portability! You'll be able to download a zip file, copy the content to an USB thumb drive, copy your datafiles and GO! Any Win XP or Vista PC, no installation required, no admin rights. Now, you'll finally be able to bring SQLNotes to work with you...

Checkout Mantis for details!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #960 on: August 19, 2008, 03:24 AM »
FYI, Version 0.9.23.6 is coming soon with many interesting improvements:

1. New VBScript editor
   2. VBScript code separated in system, user and database
   3. Improved web clipping
   4. Dated backups
   5. Bug fixes of course, and...
   6. Portability! You'll be able to download a zip file, copy the content to an USB thumb drive, copy your datafiles and GO! Any Win XP or Vista PC, no installation required, no admin rights. Now, you'll finally be able to bring SQLNotes to work with you...

sounds great Pierre  :up:

trying to check the SQLN forum this morning
one page has loaded the banner on top but nothing else (& it thinks it's done),
the aggregated forum page gives this message (after about 5mins)

Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.
maybe you're working on it or something,
just thought to let you know anyways

EDIT/ seems to be working again
Tom
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:47 AM by tomos »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #961 on: August 20, 2008, 03:28 AM »
Down again.   :(

It has been down much more than up since I started using SN again.  Is Pierre looking for a new web host?  Sure hope so. Can't do much at the site as it is.

Jim

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:33 AM by J-Mac »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #962 on: August 28, 2008, 03:54 AM »
10:54 »
Down again.   :(

it's been trying to load for at least 5 minutes now

14:32 » now it just says
"Server is too busy"
Tom
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:32 AM by tomos »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #963 on: August 28, 2008, 07:49 AM »
It seems the SQLServer was down from 12h00 to 7h30 EST  :down: :down:

Yes I'm looking into changing web site. Same hosting service but using Drupal and an mySQL database which hopefully will be performing better

Demo at www.sqlnotes.net/drupal5

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #964 on: August 28, 2008, 10:28 AM »
The Drupal page looks nice. Not sure about the fonts for "SQLNotes: The Next Generation Information Organizer" (size etc.) though... but, yes, I know it's just a test page.

I'm curious :  how will Drupal have an effect on availability and performance?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #965 on: August 28, 2008, 10:31 AM »
The Drupal page looks nice. Not sure about the fonts for "SQLNotes: The Next Generation Information Organizer" (size etc.) though... but, yes, I know it's just a test page.

I'm curious :  how will Drupal have an effect on availability and performance?

The problem with the current is reliance on SQLServer as the database. Drupal use mySQL. SQLServer is expensive and hosting company tend to overload it, to save money

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #966 on: August 28, 2008, 11:34 AM »
Reminds me of the web host I used for a few years, Pierre.  Page-Zone.  Very small company, but really excellent for about four or five years.  Then it all seemed to crash at once. I don't know what happened there, but suddenly the incidence of servers going down and no response from their support system or emails was wild.  I had to dump them for another - and the new one wasn't nearly as good as Page-Zone had been, but they were more reliable than Page-Zone after their mysterious down-turn.

Good luck with yours.

Jim

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #967 on: August 28, 2008, 11:44 AM »
The problem with the current is reliance on SQLServer as the database. Drupal use mySQL. SQLServer is expensive and hosting company tend to overload it, to save money

I see... Thanks!

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SQLNotes: The next generation information organizer
« Reply #968 on: September 12, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Version 0.9.23.7 is now available in the SQLNotes download area: http://www.sqlnotes....abid/61/Default.aspx.

Major changes are:

* Show hyperlinks of lineage items on the status bar
    * Show siblings in the properties pane
    * Filter as you type
    * Portable!  8) :-*

The biggest news is that it can now run without installation and does not require admin rights. It works on XP and Vista systems (does not work on Win 2000). Users can report if it works on Mac (Parallels) and Linux (Wine). So SQLNotes is can now be used in workplace environments, even very closed-down ones (security-wise).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:12 PM by PPLandry »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #969 on: September 15, 2008, 10:28 AM »
Major changes are:

* Show hyperlinks of lineage items on the status bar
    * Show siblings in the properties pane
    * Filter as you type
    * Portable!  8) :-*

I'm having fun with the various links to "relatives" of the current item:

SQLnotes49a.png

[edit] removed incorrect info about search grid [/edit]

This is really nice :-*  I havent even tried out filter as you type yet, more fun
Tom
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:02 AM by tomos »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #970 on: September 15, 2008, 12:19 PM »
Wow, very sweet.  Thanks tomos, thanks Pierre.

I can't remember if I added a Mantis request to import text files into SN using the filename as the item title, and the file content as the html pane content.  I need to check.  This is so I can import my TexNotes info into SN.  After that, I can pretty much use SN exclusively since Evernote import is now supported.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #971 on: September 16, 2008, 12:10 PM »
OK, I had a mishap again.  A while ago, I added about 80 items into my "Evernote" grid.  The items were all the software that I wanted to add to my website.  Now, I go back and the items are not in the grid anymore.  Of course, the items are still there, but they are not shown in any grids.  Why does this keep happening to me?  How can I quickly recover these items back into the grid without going and checking the field in the properties one by one for each item?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #972 on: September 16, 2008, 12:14 PM »
You can
-use the journal,
-find one and checkout the filled field and compare that with your grid,
- perhaps you've added a dateFilter or an AlphaFilter to your grid...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #973 on: September 16, 2008, 12:18 PM »
[oups ... PIerre was quicker]

When that happens, it's usually just a filter thing.
It happens to me too, but it's usually because I messed with the filters.

1- Any error message when you open the grid?

2- Check your different filters : source (first text box on the source bar), filters  (second text box on the source bar), Date filter ("D"  on the source bar), Alphanumeric filter  ("A" on the source bar).  View>source bar, or alt-s

If your items don't meet the source/filter etc., they won't show.

What's in these filters

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #974 on: September 16, 2008, 12:18 PM »
I searched for one of the items and in the properties it says that it is shown in 0 grids.  So I don't think it's shown in any grid regardless of the filter.
I just installed the portable version and it shuts down (crashes) every time I try to open the properties pane.