topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 839332 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #875 on: April 21, 2008, 11:19 AM »
SQLN site seems to be down (here anyways)

Server Error in '/' Application.
Runtime Error etc.

Fixed  :up:
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SQLNotes: the next generation information organizer
« Reply #876 on: April 29, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Version 0.9.23 is finally out.

Major new features are:

• Gantt charts for project managements
  • External HTML editor support with full support for embedded images (i.e. Word 2002 and up or BlockNote)
  • Filter improvements (for tomos  :) )

Download here: http://www.sqlnotes....abid/61/Default.aspx
Details here: http://mantis.sqlnot...t/changelog_page.php

Gantt1.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

Enjoy!
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:12 PM by PPLandry »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #877 on: April 29, 2008, 12:11 PM »
not sure I want to be known as the man who couldnt filter  :-[

but hey thanks anyway Pierre :up:

sounds great, big steps now!

are images supported in regular html export ?  (is it that you can export as mht file?)
or does one need "Word 2002 and up or BlockNote" for that
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #878 on: April 29, 2008, 12:16 PM »
are images supported in regular html export ?  (is it that you can export as mht file?)
or does one need "Word 2002 and up or BlockNote" for that

1- Web images can be exported in HTML export for regular HTML files (like all web pages, nothing new here)
2- For MHT files, you can embed images and these will export. MHT (email format) is just about as feature rich as DOC. Note that in HTML export, the MHT document height cannot be determined, so a new field (ItemHTMLHeight) allows you to specify the height to allocate for the MHT document.
3- For MHT files, you need an external MHT editor
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #879 on: April 30, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Gantt charts!!  That is so awesome.

OK, I was trying out the Gantt charts.  I got a couple of errors when I tried to create the default configuration (using the Gantt wizard that pops up).  I used the default button, but my columns did not get added automatically (I don't know if they were supposed to).  Also, that top bar that shows the overall schedule (in your screenshot above) didn't show on mine.  Also, how do we edit and change the details of each item in the Gantt chart?

Feature request:
Since this program is now getting more modules and capabilities, I think it might be important to have layout control per each grid.  For example, in a grid with a Gantt chart, I'll probably want to dock my notes on the bottom instead of the side, so the chart will have more room.  But in other grids, I want the notes on the side.  Instead of turning them on and off all the time, it would be highly useful to set a default layout for each grid.  Other similar situations involve grids with pivot tables.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #880 on: April 30, 2008, 02:04 PM »
Gantt charts!!  That is so awesome.
It has been promised a long time ago, so I'm very happy to finally deliver it.

OK, I was trying out the Gantt charts.  I got a couple of errors when I tried to create the default configuration (using the Gantt wizard that pops up).  I used the default button, but my columns did not get added automatically (I don't know if they were supposed to).  Also, that top bar that shows the overall schedule (in your screenshot above) didn't show on mine.  Also, how do we edit and change the details of each item in the Gantt chart?
No columns are not added to the grid (perhaps I can add an option). Editing can be done completely with the Gantt, so they are not required. Simply drag-drop from the properties pane if you want them.
The overall schedule display is an option: Grid>Properties>Gantt>Overview visible
Editing is done by drag-drop or field editing (grid, properties pane). To change the %Complete, position your cursor until you see a % icon.

Feature request:
Since this program is now getting more modules and capabilities, I think it might be important to have layout control per each grid.  For example, in a grid with a Gantt chart, I'll probably want to dock my notes on the bottom instead of the side, so the chart will have more room.  But in other grids, I want the notes on the side.  Instead of turning them on and off all the time, it would be highly useful to set a default layout for each grid.  Other similar situations involve grids with pivot tables.
Yes, this is a great idea. I too find it annoying to move panes around (less so with a second 20"monitor :-*)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 05:15 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #881 on: April 30, 2008, 04:27 PM »
OK, thanks (I should probably add that to Mantis).

I'll experiment more with the Gantt charts later.  I'm sure you are aware, but by adding Gantt charts, there are a whole bunch of details in the way the schedules are setup.  Things like creating a work days vs total days schedule, dependancies, etc.  I'm not sure how much functionality your chart has vs something like MS Project.  How bold of you to even include it!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #882 on: April 30, 2008, 04:35 PM »
even if SQLNotes does not include as much functionality as MS Project (now or in the future), it's still great to have gantt charts. Its soooooo much easier to plan projects when you can actually see everything in a chart. IMO, MS Projects is way too overkill for most people, and there's one thing that always seemed akward to me : the poor Outlook task integration (I don't know about MS Project 2007 though). At least, SQLNotes will allow seamless  project/todos/taks/events/whatever integration. And that's very promising!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 04:37 PM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #883 on: April 30, 2008, 04:37 PM »
[edited last post... sent it before finishing to write it!]

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #884 on: April 30, 2008, 05:12 PM »
OK, thanks (I should probably add that to Mantis).

I'll experiment more with the Gantt charts later.  I'm sure you are aware, but by adding Gantt charts, there are a whole bunch of details in the way the schedules are setup.  Things like creating a work days vs total days schedule, dependancies, etc.  I'm not sure how much functionality your chart has vs something like MS Project.  How bold of you to even include it!
The Gantt capabilities, combined with SQLNotes engine will allow for some pretty nice project management. This is the first cut at it. Coming after off-line mode and calendar are:

1- Task links (start to finish, start to start, finish to finist, etc), drag-drop to create links
2- Multiple bars per task (i.e. optional display for summary tasks)
3- Workload graph: shows when your workload exceeds 100%
4- Text and icons in the Gantt
5- Customizable bars (colors, end shapes)
6- right-click context menu to edit/delete bars, links, etc
7- And many many options, such as user-defined non-working days, ...

For those that haven't seen it, the following features are planned:
http://www.sqlnotes....abid/74/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:12 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #885 on: May 10, 2008, 12:25 AM »
Icons are coming soon to a Grid near you  :D

InCellIcons.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

Two types:
  • Item icon, shown left of the item text. Can filter for a specific icon. Possibility to have it dynamically attributed (i.e. when a task is late, the icon automatically changes to a red exclamation mark, or when a number is negative, etc
  • Within the item text. Place bitmaps anywhere in the cell.

Users will be able to add icons, simply by adding icon and bitmap files in icon specific folders
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 12:28 AM by PPLandry »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #886 on: May 13, 2008, 10:48 AM »
I've been wanting to try SQLNotes, as it looks great, but I can't justify the time to play with a new application with my current workload. However, I have a real need for a tool like this on one of my projects, so now, the time would be well spent.

I am going to grab the latest build and start spinning up on this.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #887 on: May 15, 2008, 12:09 PM »
Hi tinjaw. How is the testing going? If you need any cues, do not hesitate -- as the documentation is quite sparse right now.
Any of your comments, criticisms, will help to improve SQLNotes, I'm sure.  :)

(A new build is coming -- probably today. Some little bugs were fixed, some options added, better MHT support, and gantt charts are getting there it seems...)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #888 on: May 16, 2008, 02:50 PM »
that looks very creamy. Good job

Icons are coming soon to a Grid near you  :D
 (see attachment in previous post)
Two types:
  • Item icon, shown left of the item text. Can filter for a specific icon. Possibility to have it dynamically attributed (i.e. when a task is late, the icon automatically changes to a red exclamation mark, or when a number is negative, etc
  • Within the item text. Place bitmaps anywhere in the cell.

Users will be able to add icons, simply by adding icon and bitmap files in icon specific folders

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #889 on: May 16, 2008, 03:23 PM »
Version 0.9.23.2 is now available for download. Included in this release:

* HTML pane improvements and bug fixes (for both editing and browsing)
    * Better support for MHT files
    * Improved importing
    * Bitmaps in the cells (first version)
    * Numerous bug fixes

See Change Log for details, Download it here
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:25 PM by PPLandry »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #890 on: May 16, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Version 0.9.23.2 is now available for download
Download it here
:Thmbsup:

SQLNotes Installer version 0.9.23.2   7.19 MB   5/16/2008   16h00 EST. SQLNotes version 0.9.23.2 Installer. Please uninstall previous version.

[ just in case! ]
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #891 on: May 21, 2008, 10:33 AM »
By popular demand, named filters are being added to SQLNotes. Named filters allow you to define common filters and enable them by name:
  • A NamedFilter toolbar will enable you to selectively apply filters. Toolbar will show which filters are active
  • Named filters can be ANDed or ORed
  • Named filters may be grid specific. i.e. only show up for specific grids
  • Can be used as grid source and/or filters
  • Will share the same name space as fields, since both can be used to filter
  • Filters will support hierarchy. So if you have a filter named Tasks and as a sub-item, a filter named NotDone, then the NotDone filter will contain the Task filter

[edit] Named filters will be part of version 0.9.23.4
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:37 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #892 on: May 23, 2008, 11:37 PM »
Version 0.9.23.3 is out! New version includes:

• 2nd version of Gantt charts with task dependancies. Visually create links between tasks using the mouse. Dependancies can be created without the Gantt charts, to only show you the next task to do (hide tasks done and those which depend on the current one)
  • Properties pane: Show grids and forms where a field is displayed
  • Auto item text based on entered HTML
  • Some UI improvements
  • Bug fixes

Details here: http://mantis.sqlnot...t/changelog_page.php
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:39 PM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #893 on: May 24, 2008, 12:28 AM »
Thanks for the info, Pierre! Will install it now!!!  :Thmbsup:

melitabel

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #894 on: June 04, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Pierre -

I have been trying to reach you at the betasupport address that's on your website, but I'm getting a message that there's an SMTP problem with your server.  I am doing a presentation on personal information organizing software to a group of librarians in 2 weeks.  I would like to give them a peek and overview of SQL Notes, since so many people here like it.  However, I have questions for you, since I don't use it myself, and I need your explicit permission for a couple quotes I would like to use.  Is there another email address I can use?   I don't use Outlook Express - is that what's causing the problem?
More curiosity, less judgment.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #895 on: June 04, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Pierre -

I have been trying to reach you at the betasupport address that's on your website, but I'm getting a message that there's an SMTP problem with your server.  I am doing a presentation on personal information organizing software to a group of librarians in 2 weeks.  I would like to give them a peek and overview of SQL Notes, since so many people here like it.  However, I have questions for you, since I don't use it myself, and I need your explicit permission for a couple quotes I would like to use.  Is there another email address I can use?   I don't use Outlook Express - is that what's causing the problem?

First, thanks for considering SQLNotes (will be renamed, to perhaps SliceAndDice or Dimension). I'll check on [email protected]. You can use [email protected] or PM me here or on www.sqlnotes.net.

You're welcomed to contact me, but you have my permission to quote anything that you find here or on the SQLNotes web site. I stand by what I've written!

Cheers and good luck with your presentation. If I can help, perhaps building a template adapted to your needs, do not hesitate to ask

melitabel

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #896 on: June 04, 2008, 11:11 AM »
Thanks, Pierre.  I've resent the email to [email protected].  Rather long and tedious for others here, I thought.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #897 on: June 04, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Rather long and tedious for others here, I thought.

Are you sure you have read this thread?
Nothing to do with SQLnotes can be too long or tedious for us.  :)

melitabel

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #898 on: June 04, 2008, 01:36 PM »
I'm so glad to hear you say that, Dormouse, because I can't get through to the other email address either - do you have something against Georgia Tech, Pierre? - so will have to post here, exposing my ignorance for all to see.  [Takes deep breath} So here goes.

Dear Pierre,

I was a contributor to the note-taking software discussion on donationcoder, and I have noticed also the thread on SQL Notes.  I am making a presentation on personal information/knowledge management software to a group of other librarians in Seattle in 2 weeks, and I wondered if I could get some screenshots from you to give them an idea of how they could use SQL Notes.

Librarians usually have not just the usual kinds of information (anything from contacts to client tracking), but also personal reference collections (web sites often) and downloaded reports, articles and papers, which can be anywhere from 2 pages to several hundred.

While I am demonstrating a few of the programs, I would like to just mention SQL Notes, since it is still in beta and I don't use it myself.  However, I would like to show them a screenshot of an example that includes a lot of text, since that is one of our particular needs.

To give you some context, I have divided organizers into several types.  Here’s the list with the programs I am going to mention:

Information Mappers: Personal Brain, Topicscape, Compendium
The Digital Reading Pile: Zotero, Surfulater
The Digital Junk Drawer: Evernote
Text-friendly databases: InfoSelect, SQL Notes

So, what I asking is

1.   Do you have, and would you share with me so that I can use it for this presentation, screen shots of a database that contains large amounts of text (reports, for example)?  The screen shot would be used in the handout, which will be available online for the conference attendees – typically 5000+ people.  I don’t expect more than 50 to come to this session, but it will be available to everyone online.  I plan to use a Creative Commons license for my presentation, so that people will be able to re-use it, with attribution.  I could however put a standard copyright notice on your screenshots. 

2.   To describe what SQL Notes does, may I use the following statement found in the discussion at https://www.donation...x.php?topic=10432.0?

“The ideal information management app must be an excellent outliner with multiple parents support (when required), an excellent linker (i.e. like the web), an excellent tagger, an excellent editor supporting rich text editing in the outline AND in a second rich text window, support flat and tree-structured display with or without a data grid, usable as a flexible database supporting user-defined fields, calculations (both equations and user-defined functions), reporting and an have excellent search engine. Finally, it needs to have a customizable UI, support drag-drop and have links to all other major apps. Idealy, it should be able to pull information from external sources as well.”

If I may use it, how should I attribute it? Pierre Landry, designer, SQL Notes, ??
Please let me know how you would like me to cite your name, relationship to SQL Notes, and some kind of contact information, such as an organization and city (Quebec, I believe?). 

Since mutual disclosure is only fair, I will say that I am a librarian at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and my name in that world is Elisabeth Shields.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #899 on: June 04, 2008, 02:12 PM »
Are you sure you have read this thread?
Nothing to do with SQLnotes can be too long or tedious for us.  :)
;D ;D

SQLNotes (will be renamed, to perhaps SliceAndDice or Dimension)
any comments on those names?
anyone?   :)

:feedback: or, post here on the SQLNotes New Name thread
Tom