ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (165/235) > >>

kartal:
Armando thanks for the tip

However I am having major issues with copy pasting items from one grid to another. I will tell you that I have used hundreds of programs(including Ecco and other pims), and I use high level 3d softwares. So it is not like I do not understand a simple function like copy paste.

I created my item with ctrl alt n. I added some features like contact, dates etc. I copied as xml format. When I paste it to another grid none of those values comes with. In fact it does not paste.  In Ecco simple copy paste carries the cell values as well, unless you are in edit mode and copying the plain text. It looks like it is copying all the values but pasting is either not working or is an awkward way. I am all for Sqlnotes as a previous Ecco user. But this does not feel right.

Armando:
Where do you click? Click in the # column to copy/paste the whole item.

Also, it's quite possible that when you paste an item in a different grid, you don't see it at first because it's not associated with the grid... Yet. That's a kind of bug and I'll remember to notify Pierre about it -- he said that copypaste was not complete yet, with all the subtleties.

Now, try that :

1- Open the "search" grid.
2- Empty the "source" textbox (ctrl+s to have the source bar appear --> The source textbox is the first one on the left).
3- refresh (f5)

At the bottom of the list** you should see all your duplicated (copy/pasted) items. To associate them with specific grids, you need to associate them to the specific Grids' source... Normally by ticking the right field for each item (use the "properties" pane (f4, shift+f4, or view--> properties)--> use the "forms" or "Available fields" sections, depending on the fields you want to "tick") or BUT draging and dropping the items to the different opened grids should also do the trick. Don't forget to press F5 to refresh the view (automatic refreshing will come when SQLNotes will be able to function in "disconnected mode" -- soon). Most forget to press F5

Now... Keep in mind that you don't have to copy and paste items in grids to have items be mirrored in several grids. UNless you need to have separate but identical items, you just need to drag and drop items to a grip or the other to have them appear in different grids at the same time (what dragging and dropping to another grid does is simply ticking the field corresponding to the grid's source, when the source is "simple" -- as mentionned before, you could also tick the right fields manually if you wanted).

Don't forget that data is NOT IN THE GRID per se. Grids are only views on your data. You could have a database with 1000s of items, but they'll be "invisible" if you don't set any grids to view them. The search grid, or even the quick search window (or any grid you'll create, providing that the source text box is empty) can show you all items in your database. I personally created a special grid called "ALL" where I see all items, sorted by "itemmodified desc". Easier than to use the search grid.

** depending on the sort order -- to change it : In the sort textbox at extreme right of the source toolbar write : itemmodified  desc -- there are other ways, like using the column heading when the itemcreated column is displayed.

kartal:
Armando I used Ecco before, I understand all the concepts related to Sqlnotes. I am not having conceptual isues with Sqlnotes at all. It has great ideas and starting to be a robust tool.

I also understand what you are saying about no need for copy paste but copy paste is possibly the fastest way to carry data sometimes. I tried dragging, it works but it is not the fastest way if you want to paste into unopened grids.

Based on my limited use of Sql notes these are the most important suggestions

-Autocompletion based on previously created items and auto property transfer. At least it could have made things easier.
-Streamlined copy paste. Since Sqlnotes has ideas based on Ecco, I would expect it to copy-paste at least as good as Ecco does.
-Faster grid views (this is the main drawback for me)

Armando:
I'm not questioning your expertise. JUst trying my best to explain...

I didn't say NO need for copy/paste. Not at all.

What I said is just this : copy/paste is not the same as dragging and dropping (And Like I also said : copy/paste is still in development). (And : actually, if you want to mirror/associate items to unopened grids, the fastest way is to tick the appropriate fields. That way you can associate 1000000s of items at once with different grids. Using copy/paste would achieve something completely different : duplication of items, but independent, with different ID numbers. But you can ignore all that if you already understand.)

But you didn't say if you solved your copy/paste problems

You saidcreated my item with ctrl alt n. I added some features like contact, dates etc. I copied as xml format. When I paste it to another grid none of those values comes with. In fact it does not paste.
-kartal (March 24, 2008, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you solve that?
Normally copy/paste should work : all values are copied, unless you copy the item in another database (within the limits mentioned in my previous post --> related to automatic grid assignation); in that case, non existing fields won't be automatically created.

Dormouse:
Thanks for the comments Armando. I'll be trying a few things out.

For web images I'd either paste them in the html pane (or use ctrl+alt+n -- to call the "add item" window -- and paste it in the html part)
-Armando (March 24, 2008, 03:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tried this and no dice. No image will paste in the html pane. Copy image to clipboard from webpage - but nothing to paste in this pane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version