ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (142/235) > >>

PPLandry:
Here is why,

The grid starts off with the data source, in this case it is all parents and children. There is only 1 boy john in the database.

In flat view, you'd get that list. Expanding each parent would show all children (grid creates new items for each children)
When you click hierarchy, the grid will arrange the source items under their parent. This works fine when there is 1 parent. It doesn't work when there is 2 parents and both are shown in the grid (since a grid item cannot be in 2 places). You can click "show all children" to display the ones which aren't shown.

There are times where this way is the best and other times where showing all is the best
In the previous version, I had it the other way. I'll need to add an option I guess  :-[

Armando:
Thank you very much Pierre.

I'm still not absolutely sure why certain items would show in 2 places (like you said) and not other items (in my screenshot : Girl Diane and Girl Rebecca are "duplicated", but not "boy John"). Especially in a grid situation where a source would be based on a filter such as category alike "test" (where "test" is a key word among many other keywords) -- removing the word "test" from all the subitems just to have a clean hierarchical view would be pretty inconvenient.

Then, there is the "Show all sub items" option, which will effectively show all children. Unfortunately, this won't stick with a refresh.

So, in my very humble opinion -- I'm really willing to understand why it should be otherwise -- to facilitate visualization of the hierarchies, the default should probably be to always show all subitems. I just can't imagine a situation where I'd need it otherwise.

PPLandry:
Here is an example where you do not want to see all subs:

You have a list of contacts arranged (sometimes) as Company with your company contacts as subs. This is great since SQLNotes will search the parent when dialing, hence you only need to enter the company number once.

so you have this, but under the company, you also have lots of other info (not related to contacts). If you show all subs, you'll get a list with not just your contacts, but all that other stuff (There is a workaround using filters but still).

It is also much much quicker to simply re-arrange items than generating the grid with all subs, so for large grids, this way is better. Both ways have advantages and disadvantages...

As to Girl Rebecca, I'm sure that Test was not checked for her to show twice

Show hierarchy, simply means, re-arrange the flat list to show parent-child relationship. Better off to leave it off in this case

Armando:
Thanks Pierre. I understand the usefulness of not showing certain subitems, and showing others. But how do I know what's going to show as subitems and what's not? What's the rule?

In my previous example, I still don't understand why "boy John" is not appearing in "mummy Rose"'s children ( ;D I'm starting to feel a bit stupid with my silly characters), but others will. They all obey to the same criterias, they ALL have Mummy Rose as their main parent.

PPLandry:
Thanks Pierre. I understand the usefulness of not showing certain subitems, and showing others. But how do I know what's going to show as subitems and what's not? What's the rule?

In my previous example, I still don't understand why "boy John" is not appearing in "mummy Rose"'s children ( ;D I'm starting to feel a bit stupid with my silly characters), but others will. They all obey to the same criterias, they ALL have Mummy Rose as their main parent.
-Armando (February 20, 2008, 09:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Basically, you take the flat view and re-arrange it. If an item has multiple parents shown in the grid, I believe, it puts the item under the main parent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version