ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (140/235) > >>

tomos:
two things vaguely related to last post

http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/Invoices is blank - (maybe you know)

in the most recent samples database (18Feb)
on the WorkDone grid there's one item with an "invoiceID" of SO01
for some reason this wont show here on the Invoices grid when source is set to "invoiceID"
(I havent changed anything except for the source of grid)

PS/edit/ - I really like that in the inventory grid where you can get all the other columns/fields to scroll behind the items column,
hadnt seen that before (that you could lock columns) :up:

Armando:
So, like you suggested, there are basically 3 choices : 1- for each item, either write your different invoice numbers in different invoice fields, 2- or all in the same invoice field, 3- or... the "parent" way, which could work well.

Multiple (number) fields might probably a good way to sort (ascending, descending, etc.), etc IF your invoice numbers are... numbers only (but I see that you have a SO01, a mix of numbers and letters -- OK that was in the sample grid...  :-[).

The "parents way" looks good to me (probably the bes)... Well : each work could be a parent, and its subitems would correspond to multiple invoices. You'd have only one invoice field, and it would be easy to sort all invoices in "flat view" or even "hierarchical view", depending on your needs. You could have the itemparent field to be displayed in your grid if you choose such a way : it might facilitate seeing which invoice goes with which work (in flat view, for example...).

In any case, you might also have to create a date field called LastInvoiceDate (or whatever), that you'd edit yourself each time you add a new invoice (you could also just rely on the "itemCreated" field if you use the "Parent" way.)

IF you don't want to create a new field for each invoice or use the parent way maybe you could try to type the different invoice numbers in the same field, as you suggested? (And also, of course create the date field called LastInvoiceDate that you'd have to edit yourself each time you add a new invoice.)

For that way you'd have to :

1- Create a  Invoice multi-line and text field (in the "Manage field" window),
2- Create a LastInvoiceDate date field

Close the grid and reopen it to be able to activate the multi-line field (I believe that it's a bug in the Grid component)

Now, you could write each invoice number bellow the previous one (write the first one, shift+enter, then the other one, etc.), and maybe add a prefix to these numbers like : "a-", "b-", etc. (so you'll be able to easily find all "b" invoices, and see how many items have been billed 2 times, etc.

Sorting and filtering ?

--> Use a field-column filter to see specific invoice # : *b-*,*200*, or whatever...

--> Use the filter/source bar to see specific invoice numbers.

ie :
- Invoice alike "a-%" (will show all items-invoices starting with "a-")
- Invoice alike "%-2%" (will show all items-invoices starting with "-2")

[edit : before, i wrote category instead of invoice!!!! sorry : i was thinking in terms of my own grid!]

with this way, I don't think that it would be feasible to sort your invoices or items by number.

tomos:
thanks for the indepth Armando!

I think the parents way is the best too at this stage
Actually,
I could in my "Files" grid make an invoice parent and then, in "WorkDone" use ID number for invoice related work*

So for each invoice the WorkDone will be available in a sortable field, and,
the Files worked on will be separately available on a per invoice basis in the "Files" grid

PS you've given me a few good tips on searching & other stuff there :up:

EDIT/
* in "WorkDone" I have files as Parent items but wont give them InvoiceIDs themselves
i.e. File has subitems that are given invoice number
- SQLNotes01.psd
- - Drawing of same - 2hrs - Invoice#200

EDIT2/
then in files grid I have now added the invoice (as a file/link)
and copied the relevant files to it
- Invoice200.doc     - 4hrs - $2xyz
- - SQLNotes01.psd - 2hrs -  $xyz
- - SQLNotes02.psd - 2hrs -  $xyz

EDIT2/
under Invoices grid, using InvoiceID as source (based on first edit there) and if I show the "ItemParent" field
I should see
- InvoiceID #200                   - 4hrs - $2xyz   
- - Drawing - SQLNotes01.psd - 2hrs -  $xyz
- - Drawing - SQLNotes02.psd - 2hrs -  $xyz

so I have it doubly covered really :-\ Will go with this for a while and see how I get on

Armando:
You're welcome!

PS you've given me a few good tips on searching & other stuff there :up:
-tomos (February 20, 2008, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good! But I'm sorry, nevertheless... about the mistake in my previous post where I wrote :

- category alike "a-%" (will show all items-invoices starting with "a-")
- category alike "%-2%" (will show all items-invoices starting with "-2")

I meant INVOICE, not category (which is the field/column you want to filter)... I was thinking in terms of my own grid...  :-[

BTW, you can get a lot of filter ideas by using the find feature (ctrl+f). You can also "direct" your searches inside a specific grid context and see the results in the very same grid by using the "source view" and "results in" zones. (in that case, just be careful if you've already set up nice filters that you like : they'll vanish, being replaced by the present search, hence new filters -- what I do is save filters I like for all my grids in a special grid named "filters"; in that grid, filters are organized hierarchically, by grid names and filter types (following the source bar UI) : source, filter, sorting).

EDIT/
* in "WorkDone" I have files as Parent items but wont give them InvoiceIDs themselves
i.e. File has subitems that are given invoice number
- SQLNotes01.psd
- - Drawing of same - 2hrs - Invoice#200
-tomos (February 20, 2008, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly. This is how I was imagining the structure.  :)

PPLandry:
what I do is save filters I like for all my grids in a special grid named "filters"; in that grid, filters are organized hierarchically, by grid names and filter types (following the source bar UI) : source, filter, sorting).
-Armando (February 20, 2008, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Smart idea Armando. (in waiting for an integrated filter management solution)
Planned on this issue are
1- ANDable Named filters
2- Grid history. Move backwards/forwards in the grid setting history

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version