topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832089 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #775 on: March 21, 2008, 05:19 PM »
Yes, I'm using the installer. It stops at the Registration screen, and regsvr32.exe eats my CPU. I have to kill it.
PPLandry, I searched your forum for regsvr32.dll, but as you indicated, this only brought a problem installing on Linux to surface...
weird
regsvr32.dll is a windows utility to register components (to the registry). Perhaps you can try a registry repair tool such as regclean:
http://www.pcworld.c...eup/description.html
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #776 on: March 21, 2008, 05:24 PM »
to be honest if my registry was broken I think I'd notice this in other ways than just suddenly through an installer... I'll see what can be done though.

What happened after killing the setup was that I can launch Sql-notes, and open options and see the interface, but opening or creating a file will freeze the prog, as noted earlier.

Not sure I'd use your app, but I'd like to try it properly and find out what's wrong.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #777 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36 PM »
I understand, however the installer basically does 3 things:
- Decompress the setup package
- Copy files
- Write to the registry

Nothing else...

Did you try re-boot ? Perhaps some file is locked...

This is the first report of an installing not making it through the above process. Please post it on the SQLNotes forum and we'll track it down.

(BTW I use Inno setup)
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #778 on: March 21, 2008, 06:24 PM »
[I'll post to your forum eventually, but just wanted to post about latest progress here first]

Ok, so I've cleaned up my system a bit, removed a lot of temporary junk and also stuff in the registry. (and apparently not broken anything!  8) )

Then I've tried installing again. Same thing happens, but this time I didn't kill the setup.exe process tree. I killed regsvr32 directly instead, but not before looking at what it did:

System Explorer [SystemExplorer.exe] Screenshot - 21.03.2008 , 23_51_29.png

So it seems it can't register ksdhtmledlib.ocx for some reason.

Well, after killing regsvr32, the setup would actually finish and show me the final message and the box with launch sql-notes, so I clicked ok or finish and sql-notes launches. But then again when creating or opening a file, the freeze again, and looking at the process, sql-notes naturally wants to use ksdhtmledlib.ocx...

I tried manually registering it, bye typing regsvr32 /s ksdhtmledlib.ocx, but same problem happens. regsvr32 will just use lots of cpu and nothing happens. not in the couple of minutes that I let it use cpu that is... I'm not gonna let it fry my laptop ;)

I have no idea what next, but I understand ksdhtmledlib.ocx is some sort of ActiveX html component? I've searched my computer for another version, thinking there was some conflict, but no results. Not references to it in the registry either. Speaking of registry, is there some way to manually register it in the registry? Not really a solution, but a workaround...

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #779 on: March 21, 2008, 06:28 PM »
We're progressing. Try this:
  • Open SN
  • Close the HTML Pane
  • Close SN
  • Open SN
  • Do File>New
Can you open grids ? view / change data?

If yes, then the problems lies only with the HTML component.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #780 on: March 21, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Actually I think I did close the HTML pane at one point and now can't open it  :-[

But what happens now, is that if I create new file, it freezes. However, when I open sql-notes again and open the created file, I see the grid, with some column headers, but then it all freezes so I can't change data...

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #781 on: March 21, 2008, 06:45 PM »
You are sure that the HTML pane is not just collapsed ? Check around the window frame for a tab written HTML...

I unregistered the ks... componenent and was able to create a new file and edit it. Of course opening the HTML pane (F12) I got an error message on the status bar but the program worked as expected after that.  :-[

You can also try to manually unregister:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe "%1" /u
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:47 PM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #782 on: March 21, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Pierre : maybe you could provide a list of all keys SQLNotes writes to the registry? That way TucknDar could manually remove all SQLNotes pre-reinstallation leftovers, if any (not that this would necessarily change anything, but... :-[)

PS : does C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe "%1" /u remove only the HTML component key?? Nevermind : found good documentation about it on the web...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:56 PM by Armando »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #783 on: March 21, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I tried manually unregistering, but same thing happened actually. froze and cpu..

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #784 on: March 21, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Ok, more progress, HTML editor could not be opened, ok, so what I did, was delete the new created files in sql folder (options.ini, settings.ini, and a file named dock and menu.

then when I started sql notes I did no longer have some docked um... things on the left (that said "feature reqests", "journal" etc). Then I made new file, and 'lo and behold, there was the grid and I could edit it and save it. no problems

so seems much like the html component is the culprit. Strange that I'm the only one experienceing it, though...

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #785 on: March 21, 2008, 07:08 PM »
The ksdhtmledit yahoo group is:

http://tech.groups.y...m/group/KSDhtmlEdit/

Kurt Senfer, the author, is very helpful. Perhaps he can help you register it.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #786 on: March 21, 2008, 09:17 PM »
PPLandry, it seems like wikilinks is not working? Can you give us an example of how to use it in sql notes?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #787 on: March 21, 2008, 09:27 PM »
Wiki links in the HTML pane has been disabled temporarly since it needs fixing.

In the grid:

From the doc.http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/Links:
-------------------
Hyperlinks can be added. Format is < a xxx>linkText < /a >
where xxx can be:
1- an itemID
2- a Field/folder enclosed in [ ]
3- a Wikitag. Wikitags are enclosed in { } and entered in the WikiTag field
4- href='AWebAddress'

If the linked item is in the grid, focus is moved to it. Otherwise or if the link returns more than 1 item, the scratchpad grid is opened with the linked item(s).
Examples can be found in the new template (File>New) in the Links grid
-----------------

Improvements to come:
1- Wiki link to an non-existing item will promt you if you want to automatically create the item
2- Selecting text, you'll be able to convert it a link to a new item containing the selected text
3- Re-enable Wiki links in the HTML pane
4- UI to create links

Basically, I want this to be as easy to use as other apps (wikipad, wikispace, etc)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #788 on: March 21, 2008, 09:30 PM »
I actually read the doc. I can create the wikilinks tag. But I am not sure about how it works.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #789 on: March 21, 2008, 09:30 PM »
PPLandry, I personally think that Sqlnotes is pretty easy and straight forward. My main suggestion would be speed improvements, especially menu speeds etc.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #790 on: March 21, 2008, 09:32 PM »
>Menu speed

Can you be a little bit more precise?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #791 on: March 21, 2008, 09:36 PM »
I actually read the doc. I can create the wikilinks tag. But I am not sure about how it works.
Checkout the links grid. Especially the examples in "Hyperlinks (in both in-cell and in rich-text pane)"

e.g. To link to item(s) with wikitag projSomiro:
This will open the Scratch grid with all items <a {projSomiro}> tagged as projSomiro</a> displayed

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #792 on: March 21, 2008, 09:38 PM »
I think that it feels little unresponsive. For example if I click addressbook on the left side tabe,, it would take a sec to open the panel.  I can actually see the refresh happening while initializing the menus. I feel like seeing refreshes makes the using experience little unpleasant. For example when I type something and press enter the type box refreshes, it just makes it like it is taking time. I guess I would like little more streamlined experience. I am on quad 3.2 ghz with 8gb ram on xp64. So pc is quite new.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #793 on: March 21, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Correct. There is some improvements to be done.

I work on a 1.5 GHz first generation Centrino, so I'll be able to easily determine aspects that can be optimized.

BTW, I'm a bit surprised, since it takes about that amount of time on my 4.5 year-old notebook (1 sec) to open a new grid as it does on your power-house... surprising isn't?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #794 on: March 21, 2008, 09:52 PM »
Yes then it means that it has nothing to do with cpu cycles. Maybe the menu library you are using has some glitched? I am not a programmer so I cannot pinpoint the issue :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #795 on: March 21, 2008, 10:28 PM »
while initializing the menus

Do you mean the "grids"? Menus are pretty responsive over here. Yes, Grids can take a bit more time.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #796 on: March 21, 2008, 10:46 PM »
Yes grids take time

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #797 on: March 22, 2008, 12:53 AM »
Yes, I can confirm experiencing similar delays in those grid operations.  I'm all for making it faster, if possible.  I have a really old computer, 1.8 GHz from 2002, and the delay is about 1-2 seconds also.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #798 on: March 22, 2008, 12:18 PM »
Ok, more progress, HTML editor could not be opened, ok, so what I did, was delete the new created files in sql folder (options.ini, settings.ini, and a file named dock and menu.

then when I started sql notes I did no longer have some docked um... things on the left (that said "feature reqests", "journal" etc). Then I made new file, and 'lo and behold, there was the grid and I could edit it and save it. no problems

so seems much like the html component is the culprit. Strange that I'm the only one experienceing it, though...
You can try an alternative registration tool:
http://staff.develop...v/reggie/readme.html, or
http://support.softa....com/kbview_660.aspx

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #799 on: March 22, 2008, 01:35 PM »
thanks for your suggestions, PPLandry, but unfortunately Reggie couldn't help me. Same thing happens. So basically anything that touches ksdhtmledlib.ocx will just eat CPU like there's no tomorrow :huh:

There's most definitely some conflict between ksdhtmledlib.ocx and something on my system, but I haven't got a clue what I can be. I should post to the yahoo group you mentioned earlier. I'll get around to it eventually. Thanks for your help  :Thmbsup: