topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832103 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #750 on: March 14, 2008, 01:00 PM »
I was using Ecco outline before and this feels very close to it. Nice implementation. But however I do nto see any image drag and drop or insertion feature. Is this planned? I can drag to outliner but I do not see a thumbnail at all, very hard to manage. I would love to be able to drag and drop to note section as well
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 01:05 PM by kartal »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #751 on: March 14, 2008, 01:43 PM »
It is a bit buggy right now, but you can drag-drop images from Windows Explorer to the grid. The image will be displayed if View > Show pictures is checked.

As for the rich text pane, this will be added soon. I've added it to Mantis: http://mantis.sqlnot....net/view.php?id=172

Glad you find SQLNotes useful!
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #752 on: March 14, 2008, 01:55 PM »
thanks for reply. It looks like you have created a software with features based on what ecco was missing as far as note taking goes. I see where you are trying to go with your application, I really think that it has a good idea foundation.

Btw "show pictures: did not do the trick for me. Maybe this version has a related bug. It is 0.9.22.6

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #753 on: March 14, 2008, 02:02 PM »
So, as I'm writing this, it seems this will be the 753rd reply to the original post, and I'm currently on page 31.

Well, then, SQLNotes... what IS it exactly? Which page or post will have the most accurate and concise explanation of SQLNotes? :tellme:

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #754 on: March 14, 2008, 02:57 PM »
I wouldn't want to try to go through the 735 posts (or whatever huge number we're at right now), or the 3000+ posts on the SQLNotes main web site, to find what describes it best. A good start would be:

1- A very flexible and powerful information organizer / processor as described in the home page: www.sqlnotes.net
2- Page 1 of this thread
3- The SQLNotes wikispace: http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/

I hope this helps!
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #755 on: March 14, 2008, 03:08 PM »
Yes it does. It was just sort of funny that a thread with this title would get so long :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #756 on: March 14, 2008, 03:48 PM »
Yes it does. It was just sort of funny that a thread with this title would get so long :)
Haha, that's funny.  Yeah, I never expected this thread to get so long.  Initially, I felt like SQLNotes was a weird, quirky program (I was not familiar with ECCO).  But to answer that simple question, SQLNotes is the greatest PIM on the market right now.  Or more broadly:  SQLNotes is anything you want it to be.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #757 on: March 14, 2008, 03:54 PM »
I think that Sqlnotes could be changed to SequelNotes, Sql notes sounds daunting and technical :)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #758 on: March 14, 2008, 03:55 PM »
The name will be changed. You're welcome to post suggestions here or at http://www.sqlnotes....e/posts/Default.aspx

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #759 on: March 14, 2008, 03:58 PM »
But to answer that simple question, SQLNotes is the greatest PIM on the market right now.  Or more broadly:  SQLNotes is anything you want it to be.

And I second that.  :Thmbsup:

Just be a bit patient, learn the foundations, and you'll be amazed. (Calendar + other nice stuff coming VERY soon).

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #760 on: March 14, 2008, 04:05 PM »
@superboyac and Armando (and all others)

Thank you  :-*. Such great support gives me even more energy and motivation, to bring SQLNotes further and further, and one day, soon I hope, have a complete product, ready for release.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #761 on: March 14, 2008, 04:12 PM »
PPLandry, I think that you are on it. You really understood Ecco`s needs very well. There are huge amount of Ecco fans out there(I am one of them) , they will be happy once it is finished.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #762 on: March 20, 2008, 11:48 AM »
"S-Note"

Just another idea for the name of the program, in case one wasn't chosen yet.  I think a lot of us are used to SQL-Notes by now, and we kind of like it, so this wouldn't be that much different and it would take the third-party content out of the name.

Yes, i know, I had nothing important to say... ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #763 on: March 20, 2008, 12:06 PM »
SQLCubed
infoCubed
iCubed

iThree :tellme:

Tom

muntealb

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #764 on: March 20, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Other name suggestions:

Ultranoter | Ultranote
Supernoter | Supernote
Hypernoter | Hypernote

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #765 on: March 20, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Name suggestion:

Notition

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #766 on: March 21, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Pierre, I was reading what Dormouse wrote in the evernote thread, and I couldn't help remembering that I felt the exact same way when I first tried out SQLNotes.  So, here's a small suggestion that might be a little bit of a psychological test.  I really feel that the default configuration of the default interface turns people off because it doesn't look like the typical notetaker.  It makers it look very strange and complex, like some weird proprietary database software made specifically for, say, some pharmacy company.

OK, here's my suggestion for the default interface.  Have the grid on the left side, then have the html pane on the right side (but NOT on auto-hide).  Also, have the field-pane on auto-hide because that can intimidate people who are expecting a tree-based notetaker.  I think if you do this, it will be easier for new users to understand what the software does.  It will also allow them to be willing to explore it a little more because they are already familiar with what they are seeing.  You see, new users won't even know that you can move all the interface sections around, and they won't bother to ask, they'll just uninstall it.  I know I did in the beginning.  Here's my interface configuration, just like I described:
Screenshot_20080321-104742.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #767 on: March 21, 2008, 01:10 PM »
Very good suggestion superboyac. I also want to have a beginners and an advanced mode, with, in beginners, simplified menus and toolbars. There is just too much there for beginners.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #768 on: March 21, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Both suggestions are very good. Pierre, I was just about to suggest a beginner/advanced mode in the SQLNotes forum.  :up:

Superboyac : that's exactly how I configured SQLNotes the first week I used it -- now is different, of course...

Presentation/interface is "everything" (ahem).  ;)

Also, short screencasts presenting most typical uses (note taking, tasks management, project management, etc.), would help tremendously.

A short screencast presenting SQLNotes' principles would probably help too : once one understands 1- what a grid is (a view of items stored in a database, depending on the source/filter chosen), 2- how filters/sources condition what one sees in grids (like in any X1 or any desktop search tool), 3- that items can be contextualized differently (hence be seen in different grids -- again, like X1 or any desktop search app that allows to save different searches ), 4- that items can be attributed as many different fields one wants... this is it! In time, everything else should come pretty naturally. No? Am I being too optimistic?...  :-[
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:09 PM by Armando »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #769 on: March 21, 2008, 04:16 PM »
Ok, so I've tried to install this thing twice. First time was about ... 3 or 4 months ago, I think, and second was  a couple of days ago. Both times there were problems with installation, the installer would just hang, so I had to kill it. But apparently the program had installed. So I fired it up and wanted to create a new file, which according to the website would give me a sort of template to start with. That didn't work. Froze SQL Notes...

What did all of you do that made this work and makes you such big fans? I'm really curious and want to give this a proper runout!

Yes, should probably go to their forum, but I did look around and the only part of the forum for installer problems, seems to only concern Vista. I'm on XP... and the only one in the world with installation problems?

Forgive me if I sound mad or whatever, but I just want to see what's so great about SQLNotes :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #770 on: March 21, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Weird.

- Did you download the installer (NOT the latest build) ? You have to install first to be able to use the latest build (you can then paste the latest build in the SQLNotes directory -- after installing).

You also have to uninstall previous version before uninstalling.

Never had a problem with my multiple installations -- except last time, but that was because I did something stupid : interrupting the uninstallation of previous version in the middle of the process by mistake...

PS : try to close all app too before installing. A good habit IMO. If that doesn't work, well, ask Pierre!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:54 PM by Armando »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #771 on: March 21, 2008, 04:56 PM »
We had some installation problems a long time ago (last summer), in particular on Vista, but this has been resolved. I haven't heard of installation problems recently (except on Linux where it installs but doesn't run, it even works on Macs under Parallels)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #772 on: March 21, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Yes, I'm using the installer. It stops at the Registration screen, and regsvr32.exe eats my CPU. I have to kill it.

Armando, you're probably right about it being a good thing to stop other applications, but I don't think I've ever done that before installing anything ... ever. At least not for quite a while, so I'd be surprised if this suddenly was the problem.

I'm on XPsp2 btw, and thought this might be related to using an alternative shell (LItestep), but this was not the issue, since I've tried it running the regular explorer shell as well.

PPLandry, I searched your forum for regsvr32.dll, but as you indicated, this only brought a problem installing on Linux to surface...

weird

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #773 on: March 21, 2008, 05:03 PM »
TucknDar, try uninstalling it and reinstalling it again, and then copy the latest build files into it.  It may seem like the latest build is very  minor, but sometimes they include pretty cool features in there.  Also, I recommend that you configure your interface the way I described above, for the sake of your mental state!
Yeah, I don't know what problems your having, my installations have all been on xp and I never had problems.  I'm sure Pierre can help you.

Also, what exactly are your needs for a notetaker/pim?  That would help me figure out whether sqlnotes will be as "great" for you as it is for me.  I can see where if you're just interested in jotting down text notes, it might be a little overkill, and evernote would be a lot easier to use.  But if you're needs are even slightly more complex, then sqlnotes could possibly help a lot.

In my opinion, here is what makes SQLNotes so great:  if there is any type of information you want to collect and/or organize, you can configure sqlnotes to handle that specific task.  And you can do a different configuration for any kind of data.  Examples I have used so far:

Transcript:
I wanted to enter my transcript information on the computer.  Normally, I'd just stick it in excel, but since I want a central place to access all personal data, I figured sqlnotes can handle it.  So, i configured sqlnotes to show the transcript information (class name, grade, gpa) and I used the regular notetaking hierarchy to organize my classes into years, semesters, etc.  But there are calculations involved for GPA (grades are weighted by units and so forth).  But since SQLNotes is capable of handling equations, my GPA column had an equation associated with it, so that it calculated my gpa according to the function.  It was very cool, because the equation had to somehow recognize that "A" meant 4.0 and "B+" meant 3.3 and so forth.  So, now I can automatically see what my gpa was for a specific semester, a particular year, or total.  See how cool that is?  Furthermore, since Pierre has incorporated Excel's pivot tables into the program, I can use that to show me how many A's or B's I recieved during my undergrad years.  Awesome!  You can't do this with any other PIM.

Notetaking:
I love evernote, but I don't want to use one program for notetaking and another for other PIM stuff (if I can avoid it).  So I wanted to see if I could make an imitation of Evernote in SQLNotes.  So, I created another grid (configuration) for that.  It's basically the screen in my screenshot above.  I just have a line for the title, and the left hand pane contains the note content.  At home, I also have a date column on the right side so I can sort the stuff chronologically (like Evernote).  Pierre also implemented a quicksearch feature similar to Evernote, but not quite as good yet.

Music organization:
I wanted to create a database for the discographies of my favorite artists.  So, again, I created another configuration for that.  Using the hierarchy, I organized by favorite artists by Artist>Album>Song.  Then, on the right side, i can use the note pane to make comments on the particular albums or songs, whatever the case.  Furthermore, let's say I want to filter the big list I made to just songs that start with G, or songs that have the word "georgia" in it.  I can do that.  You can do pretty much anything.

Project management:
At work, I have to keep track of several projects.  So I made another configuration as a sort of Project Log.  In this one, there are just two columns, date, and project name.  Whenever something happens in a project, I log it in here.  Then I use the note pane to write down any details, or copy an email or whatever longer description is necessary to explain what happened at that particular date.  Now, there is no hierarchy for this list.  Basically, I have all the projects in one big, unorganized list.  But since one of the columns has project name, I can use the filters available in SQLNotes to just show me the information for a particular project.  So, I can quickly put together a report of everything that has happened in a specific project for a specified length of time, and I didn't spend any time organizing the information or anything.

You see how you can just think of some kind of application and SQLNotes is flexible enough to accommodate it?  Try it, just think of some information that you would like to keep track of, and explore in sqlnotes if that is possible.  It might be hard to find out how to do it, but just ask Pierre, and he'll walk you through it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 05:06 PM by superboyac »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #774 on: March 21, 2008, 05:08 PM »
TucknDar, try uninstalling it and reinstalling it again, and then copy the latest build files into it. 
Well now, uninstalling something that isn't properly installed doesn't work... and thus reinstalling doesn't work either. 8)

I'll look at your other points if/when I get it installed