ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (146/235) > >>

superboyac:
AutoAssign question:
Before, I used an autoassign date command, so that whenever I created a new item for my jazzpractice grid, I had it set up so that the current date gets automatically assigned whenever something was entered in the jazzpractice field.

Now, I'm creating another grid to keep track of my project logs at work, and I want the date to be automatically assigned also.  However, I'm not using a custom field for my entries anymore, I'm simply using the normal Item field (so my grid only has two columns, Date and Item).  Is it a problem if I set an autoassign rule in the regular Item field?  Doesn't that mean that the date will get autoassigned anytime I use the Item field anywhere in the database?  This seems to me to be the wrong way of going about it, I'm pretty sure.  My solution is to create a custom field for this grid so I won't have to modify the Item field.  Am I thinking about this right?

PPLandry:
If you set an auto-assign on the item field, it will be triggered when you add items, all items. A few options:
1- If you want a create date, why not use the build-in ItemCreated field
2- You can use forms to create the item. Form can have default values, so creating an item using a specific form will add your date field
3- Base your grid on a yes/no field and add the auto-assign to that field

You can certainly create a specific text field for this grid (instead of "item"), but it is not recommended

PPLandry:
As far as I know, only the items are using ID numbers. -superboyac (February 22, 2008, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
ID's are used for items and for fields. For fields however, it is strickly internal use (for performance reasons and to ease renaming issues)

But grid criteria and field equations use field names, so renaming may break those. Some of this will change when support is added for disconnected mode / replicas, etc

superboyac:
If you set an auto-assign on the item field, it will be triggered when you add items, all items. A few options:
1- If you want a create date, why not use the build-in ItemCreated field
2- You can use forms to create the item. Form can have default values, so creating an item using a specific form will add your date field
3- Base your grid on a yes/no field and add the auto-assign to that field

You can certainly create a specific text field for this grid (instead of "item"), but it is not recommended
-PPLandry (February 27, 2008, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, I should try forms out.  I don't know anything about forms yet.  I'll keep using the Item field, it makes sense. I don't want to use the Item Created field because I may have to manually change the date sometimes.

PPLandry:
Forms are nice, but what about option 3 ? Set inheritance for that field so that sub-items get the date too (if you want)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version