topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832202 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #725 on: February 27, 2008, 02:01 PM »
AutoAssign question:
Before, I used an autoassign date command, so that whenever I created a new item for my jazzpractice grid, I had it set up so that the current date gets automatically assigned whenever something was entered in the jazzpractice field.

Now, I'm creating another grid to keep track of my project logs at work, and I want the date to be automatically assigned also.  However, I'm not using a custom field for my entries anymore, I'm simply using the normal Item field (so my grid only has two columns, Date and Item).  Is it a problem if I set an autoassign rule in the regular Item field?  Doesn't that mean that the date will get autoassigned anytime I use the Item field anywhere in the database?  This seems to me to be the wrong way of going about it, I'm pretty sure.  My solution is to create a custom field for this grid so I won't have to modify the Item field.  Am I thinking about this right?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #726 on: February 27, 2008, 02:34 PM »
If you set an auto-assign on the item field, it will be triggered when you add items, all items. A few options:
1- If you want a create date, why not use the build-in ItemCreated field
2- You can use forms to create the item. Form can have default values, so creating an item using a specific form will add your date field
3- Base your grid on a yes/no field and add the auto-assign to that field

You can certainly create a specific text field for this grid (instead of "item"), but it is not recommended
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:36 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #727 on: February 27, 2008, 02:43 PM »
As far as I know, only the items are using ID numbers. 
ID's are used for items and for fields. For fields however, it is strickly internal use (for performance reasons and to ease renaming issues)

But grid criteria and field equations use field names, so renaming may break those. Some of this will change when support is added for disconnected mode / replicas, etc
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #728 on: February 27, 2008, 03:03 PM »
If you set an auto-assign on the item field, it will be triggered when you add items, all items. A few options:
1- If you want a create date, why not use the build-in ItemCreated field
2- You can use forms to create the item. Form can have default values, so creating an item using a specific form will add your date field
3- Base your grid on a yes/no field and add the auto-assign to that field

You can certainly create a specific text field for this grid (instead of "item"), but it is not recommended
OK, I should try forms out.  I don't know anything about forms yet.  I'll keep using the Item field, it makes sense. I don't want to use the Item Created field because I may have to manually change the date sometimes.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #729 on: February 27, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Forms are nice, but what about option 3 ? Set inheritance for that field so that sub-items get the date too (if you want)

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #730 on: February 27, 2008, 03:43 PM »
Changing the subject - I have a quick question about some nomenclature.  I was never an Ecco user, but am I right in thinking that the name "folder" for "field" comes from the Ecco usage? Is there any other tradition of calling fields folders?  I found the term "folders" quite confusing when I was trying to understand how it worked, but I am curious if this is a standard usage.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #731 on: February 27, 2008, 03:48 PM »
Correct the term folder comes from Ecco. In Ecco, fields were called folders.

The use of the term Folders (as a container) only makes sense for checkmark fields (yes/no). Items are "in" a folder. Also, it is convenient to visualize grids as displaying items that are in a given folder. SQLNotes information display is rather abstract (at least compared to most other software), so it needs all the help it can get.

For other field types, the folder metaphor sort of breaks down.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:50 PM by PPLandry »

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #732 on: February 27, 2008, 04:00 PM »
I have some name suggestions.   I was thinking of how to show that it deals with all your data in different forms, and that it not only shows it but can manipulate it and calculate from it.

From the idea that you can view your data from different angles, I thought of holographs - so what about Holodata, or Holonotes

On the same lines, I thought of Amphidata or Ambidata (since it works as database, spreadsheet, outliner etc). 

Then on the theme of meshing and intersections, how about Filodata, Cordodata, Datacrux or Datasect.

As to analysing notes, how about Notalyser (or Notalyzer)?

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #733 on: February 27, 2008, 04:12 PM »
The use of the term Folders (as a container) only makes sense for checkmark fields (yes/no).

Ah - that usage suddenly makes much more sense.  I hadn't realised the name was not being applied more generally.

Items are "in" a folder. Also, it is convenient to visualize grids as displaying items that are in a given folder.

Which makes great sense once you understand that the whole point of the grid is a filter on a Yes/No field.  It took me a while to realise this - there are so many filters and view options that can apply to a grid that I didn't grasp that the core filter, the source, is "special" because it defines the grid. 

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #734 on: February 27, 2008, 04:15 PM »
>I didn't grasp that the core filter, the source, is "special" because it defines the grid. 
It is only conceptually "special". In practice it is the same as the others. All filters get ANDed

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #735 on: February 27, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I wonder whether you would be able to expand a little more on this (very old) post, Pierre.  I found it quite useful and I would probably enjoy if you went "on and on" for a few more sentences at least...

A question for you PPLaundry. Although it is a *HUGE* reason to buy SQLNotes, as it would take thousands and thousands of manhours of coding to do, but would you say that SQLnotes is like taking MSAcess and pre--building hundreds, or thousands, of customizable views? I am asking, because I am trying to understand what is at the raw core of SQLnotes.
No, the concept is very different. In Access, you work with tables. Adding fields requires to lock the table and cannot be done if other users have it opened. Linking between tables requires database knowledge. Equations must be done through code. Outlines and hierarchy is non-existant and I could go on and on.
Yes JET is used for storage, but SQLNotes and Access are very different

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #736 on: February 27, 2008, 04:17 PM »

It is only conceptually "special". In practice it is the same as the others. All filters get ANDed
Conceptually - I was looking for that word!  I settled for quotation marks around "special" instead.   :)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #737 on: February 27, 2008, 04:32 PM »
I wonder whether you would be able to expand a little more on this (very old) post, Pierre.  I found it quite useful and I would probably enjoy if you went "on and on" for a few more sentences at least...
Well, that is quite open-ended... SN is build on top of a relational database. Currently JET, but SQL Server is coming very soon (I've got a paying customer who's willing to contribute to change to that back-end).

Each field in SN is actually a query against a table. That way, fields can be added/removed easily. Plus this removes the 255 fields limit that many databases have. Such an approach also greatly reduces collisions, hence making multi-user access less problematic. Finally, with 100's of fields, a regular table would be like a sparse matrix, hence not efficient.

Grids are based on queries (source, filter, datefilter, alphafilter, sort). This allows for filtering/sorting on fields which are not even displayed in the grid. Being based on queries, also allows other apps access to the grid. So you can mail-merge in Word with SN data, Excel can view SN grid data, Access can link to and generate a report on SN data. No need to export, no syncing, this is live database reads.

The UI builds on this data framework. Rich-text, outlines, forms, field equations, inheritance, etc

Hope this helps, I've got to run to pick up my 4 year-old from daycare  :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:00 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #738 on: March 10, 2008, 11:50 AM »
One minor request if possible:
On the "about" screen, can you display the exact version number along with the build number?  I'm running multiple copies of SN on my work, home, laptop computer, and I forget which versions I have on each.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #739 on: March 10, 2008, 11:52 AM »
Will do.

BTW, in the coming update, you'll be able to copy/paste items from one DB to another. Not quite a full merge just yet, but a big improvement over the current.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #740 on: March 10, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Will do.

BTW, in the coming update, you'll be able to copy/paste items from one DB to another. Not quite a full merge just yet, but a big improvement over the current.
Great.  I was just thinking about that, and I realized it must be somewhat complicated because of all the levels of data and display.  For example, if I want to merge databases, it needs to be able to process what to do with existing and updated items, what if grids are using fields not in the current database.  I imagine the merging databases feature dialog is going to be sophisticated with several options (at least I hope so).

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #741 on: March 10, 2008, 06:14 PM »
SQLNotes web site www.sqlnotes.net appears down. Please post here until I can get it fixed...

[edit] I've set-up an alternate download page. Post here (or PM me) if experiencing problems downloading from the main site (www.sqlnotes.net) [/edit]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 12:34 PM by PPLandry »

gottadoit

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #742 on: March 11, 2008, 03:16 AM »
Well, that is quite open-ended... SN is build on top of a relational database. Currently JET, but SQL Server is coming very soon (I've got a paying customer who's willing to contribute to change to that back-end).
It could be useful if you could consider the interface design so the program could run against different databases as well (at the same time as you are making these changes)

There are several free and lightweight database options available these days and having your data not locked up in a proprietary db format never hurts
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 03:17 AM by gottadoit »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #743 on: March 11, 2008, 06:27 AM »
SQLNotes web site www.sqlnotes.net appears down. Please post here until I can get it fixed...

forum is back up now

I imagine the merging databases feature dialog is going to be sophisticated with several options (at least I hope so).

there's so many possibilities in terms of settings/fields/columns I think it will have to be very sophisticated - or maybe it could simply favour the settings of one database over the other... :-\
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #744 on: March 11, 2008, 08:21 AM »
There are several free and lightweight database options available these days and having your data not locked up in a proprietary db format never hurts
You are quite right. Eventually support for different back-ends will be added.

JET however, while proprietary, is installed on every PC, and every app can read it, so your data isn't exactly locked up. It is as open and accessible as it can be.

Did you try to view your SN data live in Excel? Do you know of many PIM-like application that allows that?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SQLNotes: the next generation information organizer
« Reply #745 on: March 11, 2008, 10:32 PM »
Version 0.9.22.5 is now available here: http://www.sqlnotes....abid/61/Default.aspx

See change log for details: http://mantis.sqlnot...t/changelog_page.php.

Major new features are:
  • Parent lineage in the properties pane
  • In the properties pane, show the grids in which an item is displayed
  • Add support unicode editing in the grid and properties pane
  • Allow links to Outlook items
  • In Quick search: Show grids where items are displayed

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:35 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #746 on: March 12, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Is it always going to be necessary to uninstall first to install updates?  What will happen if you don't uninstall?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #747 on: March 12, 2008, 11:30 AM »
Is it always going to be necessary to uninstall first to install updates?  What will happen if you don't uninstall?
Like it says on the download page, uninstall is needed if using a version prior to 0.9.22 (controls were changed to support unicode)

Otherwise, uninstall is not needed.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #748 on: March 12, 2008, 12:21 PM »
How come the "auto add new items" in the field manager is grayed out?  I want to use this option, but no combination of clicking on boxes enables that checkbox.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #749 on: March 12, 2008, 12:30 PM »
How come the "auto add new items" in the field manager is grayed out?  I want to use this option, but no combination of clicking on boxes enables that checkbox.
The auto add new items is not currently implemented. You can use Auto-List instead. It does basically the same thing. An auto-list will scan all values in that field and provide you with the list