topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832077 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #625 on: February 16, 2008, 09:45 AM »
changed the screenshot in last post...
changed "checked" column to "changed" (try saying that fast!)
Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #626 on: February 16, 2008, 11:11 AM »
I see. Nice tomos. I'll share what I do in a little while. I'm just busy figuring out everything SQLNotes can do and what it could do better -- when possible.

I'm actually thorned between posting here or at the SQLNotes forum... Posting at the SN forum seems like a better idea (since that's where people tend to go for info about SQLNotes), and that's what I've started to do lately,  but it just hasn't become a habit yet.  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #627 on: February 16, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Hummm... I think Pierre is busy changing stuff over there because I haven't been able to start a new thread since last night.

Pierre?  :) (I'd like to discuss things about categories, etc. I posted in Mantis about this and I found a temporary pretty neat and simple solution that works very well -- still not ideal but, who knows, probably similar to what you're already using)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #628 on: February 16, 2008, 12:05 PM »
I seem to have no problem posting in the SQLNotes forum... No problem posting here though if you want. I'll check it on monday, I'll be offline for 2 days.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #629 on: February 16, 2008, 12:12 PM »
The problem is creating a new thread in any forum section. Not a new post in a preexisting thread.

This is what I get :

Screenshot - 2008-02-16 , 13_09_03.jpg

Could it be a problem on my side ???
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:24 AM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #630 on: February 16, 2008, 12:13 PM »
I'll be offline for 2 days.

OK, see you  on Monday!  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #631 on: February 17, 2008, 02:14 PM »
Amando, you mentioned error #91 somewhere
did you get any info on it?

I was changing the colours for a grid in options and you have to restart for them to take effect (sometimes anyways) and now it wont start,
well, it starts up but then I get

---------------------------
SQLNotes
Run-time error '91':

Object variable or With block variable not set
OK   

and it crashes...
Tom
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #632 on: February 17, 2008, 02:15 PM »
In my WorkDone/Billing grid (source "Projects") this:
File is null
- filters out the files (drawings)

How do I *include* files that have duration i.e. files I have worked on & recorded the time spent:-
Projects and (File and duration>0)
- doesnt work - filters out everything

You say in the wiki page about filters
Filter
The Filter filters the list of items. It can be edited directly, but it also can be set through the Search Form or Quick Search
is there any tips around how to use the Search function to do this?

and, just BTW:-
Saving Filters
Currently you can't named filters, but you can use the history drop-down box to select old filters. Also, Grid's will remember their filter so you can create a multiple Grids - each with its own Filter.
I dont have any drop down box here on the filters?
but if I remove filter text and then click on icon to deactivate filter the text returns (which is fine)
Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #633 on: February 17, 2008, 09:30 PM »

I was changing the colours for a grid in options and you have to restart for them to take effect (sometimes anyways) and now it wont start,

SQLNotes
Run-time error '91':

OK   

and it crashes...
Tom

One Error 91 got fixed : http://mantis.sqlnot...s.net/view.php?id=56. (Error 91 is not necessarily linked to a very specific thing -- ie clicking on a specific field -- and it can happen in different contexts).

Is SQLNotes not starting, or is it only that specific grid ?

I'm asking because I had a pretty huge crash yesterday, accompanied by the infamous "run time error 91 (Object variable or with block variable not set)" ... and I got nervous because SQLNOtes couldn't NOT load my database anymore:'(  But I solved the problem by:
1) uninstalling SQLNotes,
2) reinstalling the older 0.9.21 version (don't know if just reinstalling the new version would've done it... sorry),
3) opening my database (but made a copy before!!!!) with the old version (it worked, but a couple filters didn't -- I didn't really care since I was planing to reinstall the new 0.9.22 version right after!),
4) re-saving it under another name,
5) and then reinstalling the new SQLNotes version, and opening up my database... effortlessly this time! fiouf.

(I'll post the details of the error on the SQLNotes forum when I'll be able to create a new thread! From now on I'm going to try to post about SQLNotes matters over there instead... just because I find that info on SQLNotes is starting to get a bit scattered between here, Mantis and SQLNotes Forum. Unless Pierre prefers to keep both places active... dunno.)

I get this error 91 at least once a day. It usually happens when I drag and drop something or click on something... at the wrong time it seems! But I must say that it doesn't prevent me to literaly love SQLNOtes anyway. This software is REALLY addictive.  :-[

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:32 PM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #634 on: February 17, 2008, 09:54 PM »
How do I *include* files that have duration i.e. files I have worked on & recorded the time spent:-
Projects and (File and duration>0)
- doesnt work - filters out everything

Why do you put parenthesis ? Unless the "File" field has a numeric value? Otherwise I guess I'd just remove them... or put them like that : (duration>0)

You say in the wiki page about filters
Filter
The Filter filters the list of items. It can be edited directly, but it also can be set through the Search Form or Quick Search
is there any tips around how to use the Search function to do this?

What do you mean ? I don't know if that would answer your question, but by pressing ctrl+f (or by opening the Find panel, in the view menu), you just get a window with different fillable fields. These act as filters and the results appear in the search Grid OR -- and that might be the answer to your question -- directly in one of your already made grid, if you fill "source view" field with a Grid name you choose (in a drop down menu). VERY convenient.

Saving Filters
Currently you can't named filters, but you can use the history drop-down box to select old filters. Also, Grid's will remember their filter so you can create a multiple Grids - each with its own Filter.
but if I remove filter text and then click on icon to deactivate filter the text returns (which is fine)

That's a good one and I wanted to mention it to Pierre too as I don't see that drop down menu (which would be VERY convenient, as I have to save my filters manually to remember them right now). There is a drop down menu but for the "source" (which basically lists all available fields, and not previous complex sources/filters either).

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #635 on: February 18, 2008, 12:53 AM »
There are many questions I want to ask Pierre, but there's one thing I'd really like to know... now. Do you guys have problems with the "Export to Web Page" feature? Seems broken here... Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? I thought that before I was just clicking the "Export to Web Page" button or menu option, with an opened Grid.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #636 on: February 18, 2008, 01:56 AM »
Thanks for those responses Armando,
It's only the first time I've got error #91, but I reckon I dont really use the programme like you ;)

Hey!
I just tried with a backup on my usb stick which was from previous day and it opened
I can now open the databases that wouldnt open
I had been changing colours and had actually made a copy before I changed them - neither file would then open so I thought I had screwed up things rightly, requiring re-install like you suggested

Thanks for the other answers too Armando,
with the find I'll experiment,
but I got the impression from that quote that maybe there was somewhere you could tick all the relevant fields,
e.g. as example I gave of ["File" and "Projects" boxes ticked and Duration>0] and that this would then show in the filter bar *
I tried doing that with the search box, for field I wrote: [Projects,Field,Duration>0] but that didnt work either-or maybe it did but I'm misunderstanding somewhere

In filter bar I've tried:
Projects and File and duration>0
Projects and File and (duration>0)

both coming up empty nada nix...

* that would be a great idea actually
a search/filter pane which shows all the fields - like in the properties pane,
you fill in what you want and it gets shown in the filter bar
So, in this case I'd tick my two fields and fill ">0" in duration field,
click "Find" or "Filter" and off
Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #637 on: February 18, 2008, 02:19 AM »
In filter bar I've tried:
Projects and File and duration>0
Projects and File and (duration>0)

both coming up empty nada nix...

So by that filter I guess that you want all the items which have something (data) in the "projects" and "file" and "duration" fields to appear in the grid... But have you entered something in all of these fields ? in the duration field too???

Try just writing "duration" in the "search grid" 's filter (the one used "exclusively" for searches, so that you don't mess up your other grids...). If nothing comes up, than you don't have any durations entered anywhere.

Screenshot - 2008-02-18 , 03_17_09.jpg

Try the same thing with the projects + file fields. Write them there, in your filter bar. One... (then refresh if you want : f5). Then erase the term, and try the other one. refresh to make sure... (Make sure that the filters are really applied. Don't write the field when the entry zone is greyed out, but when it's "white")

Check in the property pane also. Find an item that you believe SHOULD appear in the grid when you apply your filter. Check the property pane and make sure that in the "filled fields" you have something appearing for these fields : Projects, File, duration. if not, well, there's your problem! If you have something in one of these fields but nothing in the others, you won't see anything because of the AND operator : the 3 fields must have something in them simultaneously. If that's not what you want, try using the OR operator (place it where you want it... can't help you with that).

well... If you have 100s of fields (which is very possible), it might be a bit hard to use... But this is already pretty much possible anyways with the "source bar" (alt+s). Just write all the fields and terms you want (with the proper operators, symbols etc.) and bingo.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:45 AM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #638 on: February 18, 2008, 02:46 AM »
(corrected some stupid mistakes)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #639 on: February 18, 2008, 02:53 AM »
going out the door in 10 mins so brief reply

as often think I wasnt clear enough
I want items with projects ticked
there are files which are sub-items - I only want to see ones with duration (they're there all right!)

Duration works kindof but it rules out other items which dont have duration

well... If you have 100s of fields (which is very possible), it might be a bit hard to use... But this is already pretty much possible anyways with the "source bar" (alt+s). Just write all the fields and terms you want (with the proper operators, symbols etc.) and bingo.

I disagree - about being hard to use - it could be exactly like the properties pane

You say:
>But this is already pretty much possible anyways with the "source bar" (alt+s). Just write all the fields and terms you want (with the proper operators, symbols etc.) and bingo.

That's my problem - I DONT :) find this easy - the opposite in fact, well source is okay but filters...

PS didnt notice the mistakes, runs out the door...
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #640 on: February 18, 2008, 09:07 AM »

SQLNotes
Run-time error '91':

OK   

and it crashes...
Tom

Hello All, back from 2 days off.

Sorry tomos, I could not reproduce it. Tried changing grid colors, etc Will keep an eye open for it.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #641 on: February 18, 2008, 09:16 AM »
Saving Filters
Corrected. This page was written by a SQLNotes user, not by myself. It is great to see others write. It sometimes is much clearer than when I write documentation. Different perspective. All users are welcomed to write, correct, comment the wiki. Consider it a community effort to help expose the (I hope) great features of (the about to be renamed) SQLNotes.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #642 on: February 18, 2008, 09:25 AM »
> Databases that won't open.

When that happens again, please send me the file (if possible) to betasupport@sql... . It must be a very small thing (in need for a definite fix).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #643 on: February 18, 2008, 09:26 AM »
the AND operator : the 3 fields must have something in them simultaneously. If that's not what you want, try using the OR operator (place it where you want it... can't help you with that).

hmm,
been messing around again following your advice,
"duration is not null"
shows items where duration is zero "0" as opposed to blank
Not sure why the duration is "0" but I can work with that...

Found a better solution
"Projects" is source
"FIN is null" shows files which arent ticked "FIN" (i.e. they're not finished/in progress)

EDIT/ Hi Pierre!
Tom
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:28 AM by tomos »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #644 on: February 18, 2008, 09:28 AM »
> SQLNotes forum not functioning

Seems fine now...

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #645 on: February 18, 2008, 09:58 AM »
Ecco uses a similar kind of filter definition UI.

What I envision is something very similar to the forms manager with extra spaces to add AND, OR, etc and ( ).
So one would select the field, the value and operators

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #646 on: February 18, 2008, 10:06 AM »
Ecco uses a similar kind of filter definition UI.

What I envision is something very similar to the forms manager with extra spaces to add AND, OR, etc and ( ).
So one would select the field, the value and operators

that looks good

What I had in mind - to make it even more accessible (e.g. to people who dont know about operators :) or cant figure them out) - if you had,
lets say you have a field with a tick box - show the tickbox - let me tick it ! and then this gets transcribed/translated to filter-speak on the search/filter bar
i.e. more of a GUI so-to-speak
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #647 on: February 18, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Correct, Imagine a check box to the left of the field name. Check it to include the field in the filter

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #648 on: February 18, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Correct, Imagine a check box to the left of the field name. Check it to include the field in the filter
super, that way I can learn how to filter-speak at my leisure :-*
Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #649 on: February 18, 2008, 10:47 AM »
> SQLNotes forum not functioning

Seems fine now...

Hi Pierre,
I still can't create a new thread. I saw the thread test at the forum, so I'm starting to think that the problem is really on my side, but, frankly, I've no idea of what it could be (some security settings??). I tried creating a new thread with FF, IE, login in, login out. Nothing goes. Same error mentioned earlier : "An error has occurred. Error: Add/Edit Post is currently unavailable."

Edit :.... And I'm still not able to export to Web pages...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:54 AM by Armando »