ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (116/235) > >>

tomos:
Is there a way to have a colour highlight on an item when a yes/no field is selected and
that the highlight will go/disappear if the yes/no field is deselected?

This doesnt work for the "Done" field:-
AM: ItemColor="red"
-tomos (February 13, 2008, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
You're close: try AM: ItemColor="red" | E:ItemColor=
-PPLandry (February 13, 2008, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
:up:
from the wiki:
    *  A: flag: Action will be triggered when a value is added (initially no value in the field)
    *  M: flag: Action will be triggered when a value is modified (initially there is a value in the field)
    *  E: flag: Action will be triggered when a value is deleted You can have as many auto-assign rules as you wish separated by vertical bars, they'll be executed in the sequence that they are entered.
The yes/no value is deleted when you deselect it I guess
Working nicely, thanks!
[logs off!]

superboyac:
Not really. The grid properties (grid>properties) and the source bar clearly show the fields which specify which items are displayed. It is true that when you create a new grid AND the grid name is not that of an existing field, then a field is created with the same name as the grid. But this is just a convenience and to hide some of the subtilities to beginners. But sooner or later, users must realize that grid names and what is displayed in the grid is not necessarely related.

Renaming field can have consequences on equations, other grids, etc so I'm hesitant to rename fields on grid rename...

How about a prompt on grid rename (only when the grid name = field name) ?
-PPLandry (February 13, 2008, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, then I am really confused now.  For my music grid, because I have done some renaming and transferring of other grids into it (by using the equation trick you told me about earlier), then I am not understanding how the grid decides to display it's content.  In my other grids that I haven't fiddled with, the Source just has the grid name (which is that convenient checkbox that's created).  However, for my music grid, it first started out as separate grids called "ARS" and "Gene Harris".  THen, I renamed the ARS to "Music" and used your trick to transfer "Gene Harris" into Music.  The trick I am referring to is this: I initially created a new field "MusicItem" for the entries in my Music grid.  But then I realized that convention is to use the normal Item field.  So, I transferred the MusicItem content into Item using the trick where I make the equation "=MusicItem", transfer the content over, then remove the equation from the properties.  Now I just use the Item grid and use the hierarchy appropriately.
Everthing was fine.  THen I don't know what happened, but all the subitems now appear outisde the hierarchy no matter what.
You said something about "subtleties".  What are they?  Because my source for the Music grid says "MusicItem" which doesn't make sense to me because that was the old field I used to use for the data, but now I'm just using the regular Item field.  Furthermore, any new entries in the grid get added to the Item field, and there is nothing in the MusicItem field.  So, I don't understand the rules for how the data gets displayed in the grid.  Again, maybe you need to explain to me the "subtleties".

PPLandry:
>Everthing was fine.  THen I don't know what happened, but all the subitems now appear outisde the hierarchy no matter what.

Nothing happened. As I said earlier, there is a bug (fixed in the coming release) that silently did not apply the hierarchy if the number of items was more than 500.

[edit]
>Because my source for the Music grid says "MusicItem" which doesn't make sense to me because that was the old field I used to use for the data, but now I'm just using the regular Item field.  Furthermore, any new entries in the grid get added to the Item field, and there is nothing in the MusicItem field.

If the source is MusicItem, then a " " is being added for each item in that field. Check the field properties which show the number of items in each field. Send me the file if you wish!

superboyac:
Nothing happened. As I said earlier, there is a bug (fixed in the coming release) that silently did not apply the hierarchy if the number of items was more than 500.
-PPLandry (February 13, 2008, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Gotcha!  OK, thanks.

If the source is MusicItem, then a " " is being added for each item in that field. Check the field properties which show the number of items in each field. Send me the file if you wish!
-PPLandry (February 13, 2008, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, I see how it works now.  But is that really the best way to do it?  Have you ever thought about different ways of handling this?  The only reason why I'm making such an issue out of this is because this method kind of ties the user to the initial setup of the grid, even though it's still flexible functionally.  You see, I feel like I'm now using MusicItem as my source only because I made a mistake in the beginning.  I'm thinking, "I'd rather not use MusicItem, but what can I do now?"  You see?  Sure, I'll send you the file.

PPLandry:
If you like your grid starting from Artists, you could simply create a yes/no field with that name and use that as the source.

(BTW Most of this way of doing is inherited from Ecco)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version