topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832101 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #575 on: February 13, 2008, 03:09 PM »
Is there a way to have a colour highlight on an item when a yes/no field is selected and
that the highlight will go/disappear if the yes/no field is deselected?

This doesnt work for the "Done" field:-
AM: ItemColor="red"
You're close: try AM: ItemColor="red" | E:ItemColor=
:up:
from the wiki:
    *  A: flag: Action will be triggered when a value is added (initially no value in the field)
    *  M: flag: Action will be triggered when a value is modified (initially there is a value in the field)
    *  E: flag: Action will be triggered when a value is deleted You can have as many auto-assign rules as you wish separated by vertical bars, they'll be executed in the sequence that they are entered.
The yes/no value is deleted when you deselect it I guess
Working nicely, thanks!
[logs off!]
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #576 on: February 13, 2008, 03:45 PM »
Not really. The grid properties (grid>properties) and the source bar clearly show the fields which specify which items are displayed. It is true that when you create a new grid AND the grid name is not that of an existing field, then a field is created with the same name as the grid. But this is just a convenience and to hide some of the subtilities to beginners. But sooner or later, users must realize that grid names and what is displayed in the grid is not necessarely related.

Renaming field can have consequences on equations, other grids, etc so I'm hesitant to rename fields on grid rename...

How about a prompt on grid rename (only when the grid name = field name) ?
OK, then I am really confused now.  For my music grid, because I have done some renaming and transferring of other grids into it (by using the equation trick you told me about earlier), then I am not understanding how the grid decides to display it's content.  In my other grids that I haven't fiddled with, the Source just has the grid name (which is that convenient checkbox that's created).  However, for my music grid, it first started out as separate grids called "ARS" and "Gene Harris".  THen, I renamed the ARS to "Music" and used your trick to transfer "Gene Harris" into Music.  The trick I am referring to is this: I initially created a new field "MusicItem" for the entries in my Music grid.  But then I realized that convention is to use the normal Item field.  So, I transferred the MusicItem content into Item using the trick where I make the equation "=MusicItem", transfer the content over, then remove the equation from the properties.  Now I just use the Item grid and use the hierarchy appropriately.
Everthing was fine.  THen I don't know what happened, but all the subitems now appear outisde the hierarchy no matter what.
You said something about "subtleties".  What are they?  Because my source for the Music grid says "MusicItem" which doesn't make sense to me because that was the old field I used to use for the data, but now I'm just using the regular Item field.  Furthermore, any new entries in the grid get added to the Item field, and there is nothing in the MusicItem field.  So, I don't understand the rules for how the data gets displayed in the grid.  Again, maybe you need to explain to me the "subtleties".

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #577 on: February 13, 2008, 04:10 PM »
>Everthing was fine.  THen I don't know what happened, but all the subitems now appear outisde the hierarchy no matter what.

Nothing happened. As I said earlier, there is a bug (fixed in the coming release) that silently did not apply the hierarchy if the number of items was more than 500.

[edit]
>Because my source for the Music grid says "MusicItem" which doesn't make sense to me because that was the old field I used to use for the data, but now I'm just using the regular Item field.  Furthermore, any new entries in the grid get added to the Item field, and there is nothing in the MusicItem field.

If the source is MusicItem, then a " " is being added for each item in that field. Check the field properties which show the number of items in each field. Send me the file if you wish!
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:12 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #578 on: February 13, 2008, 04:23 PM »
Nothing happened. As I said earlier, there is a bug (fixed in the coming release) that silently did not apply the hierarchy if the number of items was more than 500.
Gotcha!  OK, thanks.

If the source is MusicItem, then a " " is being added for each item in that field. Check the field properties which show the number of items in each field. Send me the file if you wish!
OK, I see how it works now.  But is that really the best way to do it?  Have you ever thought about different ways of handling this?  The only reason why I'm making such an issue out of this is because this method kind of ties the user to the initial setup of the grid, even though it's still flexible functionally.  You see, I feel like I'm now using MusicItem as my source only because I made a mistake in the beginning.  I'm thinking, "I'd rather not use MusicItem, but what can I do now?"  You see?  Sure, I'll send you the file.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #579 on: February 13, 2008, 04:27 PM »
If you like your grid starting from Artists, you could simply create a yes/no field with that name and use that as the source.

(BTW Most of this way of doing is inherited from Ecco)
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #580 on: February 13, 2008, 05:50 PM »
I humbly suggest to everyone who want to report SQLNotes bugs, or suggest features, etc. to use Mantis : http://mantis.sqlnot...s.net/login_page.php.

It's easy to register, use and it's damn efficient... and I'm sure Pierre will appreciate it!  ;)

For usability questions, of course, it's different...  :)

BTW : pierre : thanks for fixing the error 91 bug so fast!

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #581 on: February 13, 2008, 06:21 PM »
BTW : pierre : thanks for fixing the error 91 bug so fast!
It was so clearly defined and easy to reproduce. The reason I did not catch it myself is that it occurs only when Grid>Select mode is Item. I don't use this mode (prefer multi-column mode)  :Thmbsup:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #582 on: February 13, 2008, 09:15 PM »
1- I'm pretty sure this has been answered before... but can't remember where. How do you duplicate/copy an item BUT have 2 DIFFERENT indepedent items (while identical... or almost : the IDitem number would of course be different :) )

Ie : I want to create a task out of a project and use the project item as a template. I tried copying and pasting, but it doesn't seem to work.

2- BTW, I "copied" one item from one grid to another. But one grid seems to ignore its presence and doesn't count it (there are 2 items, and it says 1).

Todo = 1 item, but there are 2. (even after refreshing)
Screenshot - 2008-02-13 , 22_08_29.jpg

"Flow, synthèse" has 2 parents because it's been duplicated
Screenshot - 2008-02-13 , 22_09_12.jpg

Is that normal ?

(I also encountered an error by drag & droping from one grid to another... Can't reproduce it though... will keep checking for a serious mantis report...)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:17 PM by Armando »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #583 on: February 13, 2008, 09:42 PM »
1- Item copy / paste used to work, but doesn't anymore. Needs fixing

2- What item should be in Todo? Also, drag-dropping across grids is one way to assign an item to more than 1 parent. (BTW Drag-drop does needs improvements)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #584 on: February 13, 2008, 10:02 PM »
1- Item copy / paste used to work, but doesn't anymore. Needs fixing

I see.

2- What item should be in Todo? Also, drag-dropping across grids is one way to assign an item to more than 1 parent. (BTW Drag-drop does needs improvements)

As the screenshot shows, there are 2 items in the todo grid : "tâche d'essai"; "Flow, synthèse".
Both are there. But the count on the tab says "1 items". That's where I see a problem.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #585 on: February 13, 2008, 10:08 PM »
The count show the number of fully qualified items (those that meet the grid criteria) A number of items may be added:
  • Context parent
  • Sub-items

I'll fix it to show the actual number of items, which is more in line with the current trend (introduced by superboyac) which is to display and work with the actual items displayed, not with those that meet the criteria [edit] this is now fixed [/edit]

p.s. I you set Grid>Save item state = off, and refresh, there will be only 1 item.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:41 AM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #586 on: February 14, 2008, 12:02 AM »
Stupid me, I forgot that I had he date filter ON!!!  >:( I didn't realize that it was affecting the count.  :-[ :-[ :-[
As you can see... Still learning!!!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #587 on: February 14, 2008, 01:01 AM »
Pierre, I can't find infos on that one, but it might have been covered elsewhere though...

If I copy (or duplicate) an item from one grid to another, SQLNotes will gracefully add an extra value to one (or more, I guess...) field so that the item meets the other (new) grid's criteria. Right.

There are 2 cases of item duplication :

1- The item is already a child (or subitem), and, from my understanding, its parent(s) will also be shown in the new Grid  even if they don't satisfy the criteria (whether I want it or not) BUT in blue ,

2- The item is a parent, and all its children will also be shown in the grid even if they don't meet the grid's criteria... like the previous case, except that they will just show normally --> no special color (no blue...). Why?

If that hasn't been covered, I could add these suggestion via mantis... that there is an option to :

1- Be able to show the children not meeting the grids' criteria in blue (if that's the chosen convention)

2- Be able to show ONLY the items meeting the grid's criteria (whether these are children or parents of an item meeting the grid's criteria), and making all the others invisible... And also to be able to selectively decide to show/not show parents and/or children, depending on the grid. Why not?

Is that clearly expressed ?  :-[

Going to bed now...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:08 AM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #588 on: February 14, 2008, 01:03 AM »
just corrected mistakes in my previous post...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #589 on: February 14, 2008, 07:20 AM »
A single-click on the text and a double-click to launch, or
A double-click on an empty space in the cell

should be all that's necessary. I'll fix it if it is not behaving correctly

going back to adding files (also been rereading thread, things starting to sink in ;))

This works:-
A single-click on the text and a double-click to launch,

This not
A double-click on an empty space in the cell
[ACTUALLY.. this does work if you click in the space before the item as opposed to after/right of item]

BUT
what I would really like :) would be a Control+Mouse Click or some other key+click combo

I'm using the mouse all day drawing - click, drag, etc
Double clicks kill me :-[
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #590 on: February 14, 2008, 08:55 AM »
I have registered at Mantis
but I'm slow to post a bug report cause I suspect its usually my error..

I have a bunch of items (siblings) selected
in properties pane I try to add text to "note" field

When I paste in text, or,
sometimes before I even paste in text - after clicking twice in notes box* -
(I click once, maybe alt-tab to check the notes text, come back, click again)
I repeatedly get:
---------------------------
SQLNotes
Run-time error '94':

Invalid use of Null
OK   
followed by prog closing

* I see that if I click on notes, the cell/box to the right automatically has cursor in it
I hadnt noticed that initially

So problem seems to be with pasting (maybe it's not "allowed" in properties pane?) or
clicking in the text area for notes in properties pane
If it's a bug and it's helpful to, I will post it there (mantis)
Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #591 on: February 14, 2008, 09:44 AM »
Nice Tomos. I was able to reproduce this just now. Here's how :

1- click in the "Note" field in the property panel (you have to first click in it, it's important, and the field needs to be EMPTY)
2- Click on any  item (any number, it doesn't matter, and any field/column in the grid I believe).
3- Reclick in the empty "Note" field in the property panel...

I then get the error (each and everytime I repeat these steps). It seems tobe only doing it with the note field in the property pane...

(Hierarchy is enabled.)

Do you want to put it in Mantis, Tomos ? Or should I ?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #592 on: February 14, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Nice one guys. It is fixed. This was only happening on fields marked as hyperlink (which Notes is for no reason).

New release will include another new feature: hyperlinks in items. Format will be something like:

Code: HTML [Select]
  1. <a xyz>Link text</a>

where xyz can be any of the following:
  • ItemID
  • ItemIDs, comma separated
  • WikiTag
  • WikiTags, comma separated
  • href=Local file
  • href=URL (www, email)

If the link points to an item in the grid, focus will move to that item. If not or if the link returns more than one item (i.e. ItemIDs, WikiTag, WikiTags), the item(s) will be displayed in the scratchpad grid.

A hyperlink editor will come later, but you'll already have the wiki style of hyperlink insertion: [URL;Text] + spacebar will create the hyperlink for you

It will function the same way in the grid and the HTML pane. Furthermore, "normal" URLs will be enabled on HTML Export.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #593 on: February 14, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Excellent Pierre!  :)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #594 on: February 14, 2008, 10:23 PM »
BUT
what I would really like :) would be a Control+Mouse Click or some other key+click combo
Fixed. CTRL-Click will now open the link (file, email, web)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #595 on: February 15, 2008, 02:06 AM »
BUT
Fixed. CTRL-Click will now open the link (file, email, web)

:Thmbsup: whooHoo!!! :-*
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #596 on: February 15, 2008, 09:41 AM »
dont know is this a bug or a feature :)

SQLnotes08.png
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #597 on: February 15, 2008, 09:42 AM »
It is a Feature. (multi-row display of headers)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #598 on: February 15, 2008, 10:01 AM »

I cant figure out how it's activated?
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #599 on: February 15, 2008, 10:03 AM »

I cant figure out how it's activated?
As you change the column width, just about when the caption no longer fits it, it is moved to another level. If you make it really narrow, it returns to the normal level, to allow you to cram lots of checkboxes