ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (71/235) > >>

superboyac:
Side note,
Doing it this way will give you a total average = average of all years, which technically is different than the total average of the individual grades. Shout if this is a problem.

p.s. another type of average is if you want it weighted by the number of credits of each courses  :huh:
-PPLandry (January 03, 2008, 08:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that is true.  I need it to be weighted according to credits.  But hold off on that for now, I'll try doing what you've suggested so far, and I may be able to figure the rest out.  If not, i'll ask.  This program is simply too cool.

By the way, I was thinking about something.  Pretty soon, I'm going to have dozens of grids in my SQLNotes because I'm excited about sticking all of my life's information into it.  Are there plans to change the grid chooser in the future.  The toolbar with the grid names on it works for a few grids, but what if you have 50 grids?  It might be nice to have another pane (with the option to auto-hide) that has all the grids in there.  The grid Manager is nice, but I was thinking of something dockable and without all the extra information in it, basically, a grid chooser.

PPLandry:
The grid list is also shown in View>Grids, where you can see more. You can also choose to hide less used grids from the toolbar (grid>properties)

Keep in mind that grids are basically a definition of (1) item selection and (2) columns. So you can
1- re-use grids by simply changing the source
2- use the properties pane / forms to enter/view information

More to come of course. Suggestions are welcomed (grid chooser is a good idea)

superboyac:
Good example of some advanced features
I suppose that the grade will be letters (B, B+, etc). To calculate the GPA (which is a number) simply create a user-defined function:
Function CalcGPA(Grade)
dim t
select case Grade
case "B": t=3.5
case "A+": t=5
case [repeat for every possibility]
end select
CalcGPA=t
End Function

If the choices are too many, you can also using string functions to extract the letter and the +/- modifier and "calculate" a value: something like: 69-asc(letter) + modifier

And in the GPA field, set the equation to =CalcGPA(Grade)
Also in the GPA field set the Hierarchy equation: Parent=AVG(children)

That should do it!  8)
-PPLandry (January 03, 2008, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Quick question, where do I create a user-defined function?  Is it in the Option box inside the field properties?

PPLandry:
View > User Code

superboyac:
OK, I need more help with this.  I've created 5 custom fields for my transcript grid; course department, course number, grade, number of units, and GPA.

Now this automatic calculation of the GPA is difficult.  I made the function like you said:

--- Code: Text ---Function CalcGPA(Grade)dim tselect case Gradecase "A": t=4.0case "A-": t=3.7case "B+": t=3.3case "B": t=3.0case "B-": t=2.7case "C+": t=2.3case "C": t=2.0case "C-": t=1.7case "D+": t=1.3case "D": t=1.0case "D-": t=0.7case "F": t=0.0end selectCalcGPA=tEnd FunctionI put CalcGPA into the field (named the same as the function).  However, I need the GPA weighted by units.  Also, the outline is organized by all 4 years, year, semester, individual classes.  For each higher level, it should give the cumulative GPA of the children items.  It's not simply an average because it has to be weighted by GPA.  So how can I do this?  Do I have to make another function?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version