topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832146 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2007, 02:53 AM »
Wow!  Just installed the latest beta - looks pretty powerful.

Shame I have no earthly idea what I am doing with it, though. Create a new field and all I can do with it is give it a name and say it's text or number, etc. Field length? Can't find where they're assigned & I just searched for it for an hour. I read through the entire thread and see that no one else has questions like that.

I think I'm not ready for this one.

Jim

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2007, 08:50 AM »

Shame I have no earthly idea what I am doing with it, though. Create a new field and all I can do with it is give it a name and say it's text or number, etc. Field length? Can't find where they're assigned & I just searched for it for an hour. I read through the entire thread and see that no one else has questions like that.

Hi Jim,
Think of it as a notepad. Create a grid (View > Grids > New grid). Name it and start entering information in this notepad. Everything you put in this notepad, gets put in a field with the same name
To view what you've put in these notepads, either open them (view>grids>Notepad xx) or double-click on the field with the same name (in the properties pane -- F4)

These is much more to it, but this will get you started
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

JaneDC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2007, 11:37 AM »
Pierre, what exactly do you mean when you say free while it's in beta? Do beta users get some sort of discount? And do you have a price range in mind?

Ive tried an early beta some time ago but havent had the chance to fully test it. But a big feature i look for in a note taking software is portability. Does it already have, or is this planned?

It's always nice to see an active developer. Hope you continue this attitude in the years to come.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2007, 12:35 PM »

Hi Jim,
Think of it as a notepad. Create a grid (View > Grids > New grid). Name it and start entering information in this notepad. Everything you put in this notepad, gets put in a field with the same name
To view what you've put in these notepads, either open them (view>grids>Notepad xx) or double-click on the field with the same name (in the properties pane -- F4)

These is much more to it, but this will get you started

So I shouldn't have been in the Fields settings area? That's where I tried creating the fields I need for the database I need to build. As I said, you can't do anything there except give a new field a name and attribute, i.e., text, number, etc.

I read through the Documentation section and didn't see anything on how to create new fields, etc. Did I miss it?

Thanks.

Jim

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2007, 01:54 PM »
Jim,
It all depends what you want to do. For notetaking, do as I just said.

If you want to build a database, you'll need to create fields first.
(View>Manage Fields>New. Give it a name, select a type. Click Save. Repeat for other fields

Doc on fields is here : http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/Fields
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2007, 01:59 PM »
Pierre, what exactly do you mean when you say free while it's in beta? Do beta users get some sort of discount? And do you have a price range in mind?

Ive tried an early beta some time ago but havent had the chance to fully test it. But a big feature i look for in a note taking software is portability. Does it already have, or is this planned?

It is free to use. Period.

The released product will be available under 2 licences. The Personal licence will be $50 approx. but cannot be used for work. The price of the full licence hasn't been set just yet.

Active beta testers will get a free personal licence.

The current version requires installation. I'm working on a version that can run from a USB drive.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 02:01 PM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Jim, I don't know  if that's what you want to know but :

To create a new grid :
view-->Grids-->New grid

To select which columns/fields should appear in the grid :
Grid-->displayed columns

To manage/create new fields (which can eventually be showed as columns...) :

View-->Manage fields
Right click on colum titles -->Manage fields (but that doesn,t seem to always work<

EDIT : Sorry... PPLAndry was here first... Anyhow.  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2007, 02:06 PM »
I'm working on a version that can run from a USB drive.

Nice !

JaneDC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #258 on: December 16, 2007, 02:15 PM »

It is free to use. Period.

The released product will be available under 2 licences. The Personal licence will be $50 approx. but cannot be used for work. The price of the full licence hasn't been set just yet.

Active beta testers will get a free personal licence.

The current version requires installation. I'm working on a version that can run from a USB drive.

Excellent news. Thanks for the response.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #259 on: December 16, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Awesome Pierre - a USB version will be fantastic...

OK, cards on the table - I was in the same boat as Jim, but hadn't posted/contacted you to that effect  :-[ - your instructions to him above have enabled me to start using SQLNotes  :Thmbsup:

I'll try to be a productive member of the beta team from now on!

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2007, 02:46 PM »
OK, cards on the table - I was in the same boat as Jim, but hadn't posted/contacted you to that effect  :-[ - your instructions to him above have enabled me to start using SQLNotes  :Thmbsup:

And there is nothing like a live phone call to get you going. The offer holds for everyone! Just ask superboyac (and numerous others at www.sqlnotes.net) if that was useful. [email protected]

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #261 on: December 16, 2007, 02:56 PM »
Yeah... I knew about the live phone call  :-[ I've just been busy marking, marking, marking, and lecturing... That's died down now (excpet for marking the final exam) so I *might* take  you up on the live phone call after Christmas!

Thank you again, Pierre!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #262 on: December 16, 2007, 02:59 PM »
Awesome Pierre - a USB version will be fantastic...

I was wondering how you got up and running so quickly - I was starting to think you must be a database wiz kid too!!   ;D 8)

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #263 on: December 16, 2007, 03:15 PM »
Jim, I don't know  if that's what you want to know but :

To create a new grid :
view-->Grids-->New grid

To select which columns/fields should appear in the grid :
Grid-->displayed columns

To manage/create new fields (which can eventually be showed as columns...) :

View-->Manage fields
Right click on colum titles -->Manage fields (but that doesn,t seem to always work<

EDIT : Sorry... PPLAndry was here first... Anyhow.  :)

Armando, Pierre:

I had another thread I had started about the availability of a simple/easy-to-use database application.  SQL Notes was strongly suggested in that thread and it sounded promising. But I mentioned there also that without pretty easy-to-understand manuals or tutorials, I am lost when it comes to databases!  Spreadsheets - as complex as you like: I can create them in my sleep.  Digital photo and video authoring and editing - I started that and created my first project for an American Idol finalist who needed it for their first meeting with an agent after being booted - and have improved since then. Again, that just seemed to come naturally without reading hardly anything about it. No manuals needed!

But that has never worked with databases! For some reason I just cannot work intuitively with a database application - at least none since I used to use the old dBase III+ a million years ago. I really lose focus - and then interest and efficiency - as soon as I try to create databases without reading a whole lot! Just a mind-block? I don't know. All I know is that wading into a database app doesn't work for me!

As for what I was looking for in the first place - I think we discussed this here in my other thread, Pierre. No notes. A database to track my correspondence and other documentation from certain insurance companies. It started out simple enough and I tracked everything with spreadsheets, pivot tables, Look-ups, etc. Easy - about 100 or so documents. Now, however, it is up to several hundred, and the companies have a way of asking you to confirm data you supplied last year. If it doesn't match exactly - sometimes word for word - we go off to arbitration. A truly weird system! Anyway, I need the documentation readily accessible, and searchable by multiple keywords so I can access the correct documents quickly. The spreadsheet system has gotten truly bogged down!

I have MS Office 2003 with Access but every time I start anew in Access and try designing my tables, forms, etc. as soon as I try to run a report or pull out data I am presented with the VB Editor - which completely confounds me!!

Thanks.

Jim

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #264 on: December 16, 2007, 03:28 PM »
This does sound like a perfect match for SQLNotes. From what you describe, UltraRecall may also be a good solution.

The documentation (http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/) has a few examples of how to create databases using SQLNotes. The Basketball one was done for superboyac. I'm more than willing to create a similar one for your needs. It would help you and other potential users on getting started.

As superboyac once said, SQLNotes is like Access for non-programmers.

It is also evidently a Ecco Pro sequel...

But as can be read here: http://www.outliners...om/topics/viewt/589/ it is also evolving to be a modern GrandView 8)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #265 on: December 16, 2007, 04:12 PM »
I was wondering how you got up and running so quickly - I was starting to think you must be a database wiz kid too!!   

Jim

Drat! I outed myself!

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #266 on: December 16, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Version 0.9.21 is released. Major additions are:

* Quick Search window. Hit CTRL-Q, start typing to filter the list of items. When done, hit Enter to display the items in the search grid. Simple and quick!
    * New examples
    * User settable phone number recognition
    * Improved Ecco Import

Some controls were changed to use Unicode versions, so it is required to un-install any previous version before installing this update.

See Release Notes at www.sqlnotes.net for details.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #267 on: December 16, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Pierre, you're amazing and generous.

J-Mac, I am just like you when it comes to databases, and that's the primary reason why I even started playing with SQLNotes.  Only after that did I realize all the other things I could do with it (such as using it as a notetaker).

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #268 on: December 16, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Pierre, you're amazing and generous.

J-Mac, I am just like you when it comes to databases, and that's the primary reason why I even started playing with SQLNotes.  Only after that did I realize all the other things I could do with it (such as using it as a notetaker).

Hey superboyac.

Yeah? Then you must know too well what it's like to have databases as our "kryptonite" and then read through this long thread and see others drop in and you can see that they're picking up how to use SQL Notes just like that!  (Have to imagine me snapping my fingers with that last sentence!   :Thmbsup: :up: :down: :) )

I'm reading through some more of the wiki and trying to make some sense of it. I started this before and then had to work frantically with my spreadsheet and paper files to respond to yet another PITA "surprise attack" insurance company inquiry.  I began to think I really didn't have time to learn this thing AND work with the document list I have at the same time.  I'll give it another shot and hopefully I can get something going in parallel to what else I am doing.

(I'm also in the process of trying to work out my graphics card issues - darn nVidia! Even though Falcon will probably be sending me out a replacement GeForce 7900 GTX or higher, I am looking into trying to bite the bullet and purchase an ATI card and see if I can get it working on an ASUS SLI-compatible mobo. AND - reorganize my data and media files and folder structure - get rid of all the lousy "My ....." folders and name them more appropriately to what I am using!  AND.... make my home office a paperless one to the extent I can! I have this great Canon PIXMA MP830 All-in-One with a duplex, auto-feeder scanner - might as well use it to the max!)

Take care.

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #269 on: December 16, 2007, 09:55 PM »
PPL, since I started using SQL, I've created a few test files.  But now I want to combine the data in those files into one main file.  How can I import grids (and the data inside the grids) from one file to another?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #270 on: December 16, 2007, 10:00 PM »
PPL, since I started using SQL, I've created a few test files.  But now I want to combine the data in those files into one main file.  How can I import grids (and the data inside the grids) from one file to another?
I was waiting for that one. You can't right now. :(
I'll modify the Ecco Pro importer to import SQLNotes files.

Expect it in a few days at most.

[edit] BTW If you really need to, select the grid items, CTRL-C to copy. Paste in Excel. Save as CSV and re-import in SQLNotes (ugly... :down: :down: :down:)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:05 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2007, 10:13 PM »
J-Mac, SQL really isn't that hard to learn.  The confusing part for me was that it was billed as an ECCO replacement, but I never used ECCO so I wasn't used to the interface.  If I were you I'd think of each grid as a regular, hierarchical notetaking program like Mybase, Texnotes, whatever...where the outliner is the tree and the HTML pane is where the note goes.

After you think of it this way, then start thinking about it's more powerful features.  In a notetaking program, the text shown in the tree is usually just the title of the note.  But in SQL, it can be so much more than a title, because you can associate other "fields" (columns) with the title.  Now, you can mold the tree (or outline) into whatever you want.

That should help you think about it easier.  See the screenshots below to understand how SQL can be thought of as a really powerful notetaker:
screenshot_20071216201101.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?  screenshot_20071216201103.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2007, 10:17 PM »
I was waiting for that one. You can't right now. :(
I'll modify the Ecco Pro importer to import SQLNotes files.

Expect it in a few days at most.

[edit] BTW If you really need to, select the grid items, CTRL-C to copy. Paste in Excel. Save as CSV and re-import in SQLNotes (ugly... :down: :down: :down:)
Great.  I'll wait for it.  I was just thinking that if you're going to be able to import csv files and such, then of course you should be able to import data made with the actual program!

By the way, I was watching that video in the download directory showing how the html pane content can appear right under the outliner item.  That was cool!  Is that available yet or is that coming in the future?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:22 PM by superboyac »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2007, 10:27 PM »
If I were you I'd think of each grid as a regular, hierarchical notetaking program like Mybase, Texnotes, whatever...where the outliner is the tree and the HTML pane is where the note goes.

That's one way. But Jim is looking for an Excel/database replacement. He way want to omit the HTML Editing pane altogether and concentrate on the grid and forms.
Think of each grid as a separate spreadsheet. Columns are fields. Rows are items.
If you already have a spreadsheet with the info, half of the work is done:
- Save it as CSV
- Create a grid (any name will do, but I recommend to avoid spaces, etc)
- Import it into SQLNotes. In the field mapping step (step 2), select the mapping b/w Excel and SN fields AND add a line: 1     YourGridName. This will add the imported data into your grid.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2007, 10:33 PM »
DO I have to uninstall before installing the new beta?