topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832066 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2007, 12:36 PM »
Okay --> Pierre, I just saw your comment on the wiki page concerning live sync between SQLNotes and Outlook. So I guess I'll have to wait for that.
No, a proper Outlook import is also required. I'll check who's to blame (Outlook of SQLNotes) and find a solution.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2007, 01:03 PM »
About the outline number field (the "#" column).  I see that the number gets automatically assigned as you add each new item.  I also noticed that when you move an item in the hierarchy, it's number stays the same.  Should the number of moved items automatically get adjusted according to the new position?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2007, 01:27 PM »
Yes, the number column "should" always show the correct value. It does not currently. F5 to refresh it.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2007, 10:08 AM »
PPL, I was recently thinking about buying a calendar software.  But since SN is going to have it, I may hold off on it.  Do you think you can give a sneak preview screenshot of it for us here?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2007, 10:11 AM »
PPL, I was recently thinking about buying a calendar software.  But since SN is going to have it, I may hold off on it.  Do you think you can give a sneak preview screenshot of it for us here?
There is a demo in the download area of www.sqlnotes.net (an Outlook UI-like). An Ecco-like grid calendar is also coming
calendar.jpgSQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:14 AM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2007, 10:33 AM »
And this for the Ecco-like calendar:
EccoCalendar.jpgSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: December 11, 2007, 10:35 AM »
That's a pretty good calendar!  How customizeable will the calendar module be on your end?  Can you tweak some of its finer details yourself, or is it something that you as a programmer don't have much control over since it's 3rd party module?

The reason I ask is because I have a lot of little suggestions that would make the calendar great, but you would be the only person I'd have direct contact with.  I've been thinking of buying Calendarscope for a while, but would hold off on it if the SQL calendar was similar.  I can make a list of things of why Calendarscope is the best if you would find it helpful.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: December 11, 2007, 10:48 AM »
Yes please supply that list!

The control I use is somewhat customizable (but mostly an Outlook look-a-like) ...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2007, 11:30 AM »
Pierre - the calendar mode looks SWEET!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: December 11, 2007, 11:37 AM »
OK, here are the subtle things that make Calendarscope so great:

--Fast.  The program is very lightweight and fast.  This is a big deal compared to most other calendar software.  Also, most other calendar software are integrated into larger suites like yours which will make it invariably slower.  However, SN is special because of it's ultimate flexibility, so even I would consider using it as part of the larger suite.  Before this, all I wanted was a calendar program and nothing else.

--Colorful.  Calendarscope has a very simple way of coloring the individual items; it's just based on categories.  Different (user-defineable) colors each category.  The custom category creation is important.  I didn't see that on the SQL module.  Also, in that mini-calendar on the sidebar, Calendarscope has the option color in the dates with events on them.  In this module, the dates just get bolded.  In Calendarscope, the dates were filled with the color of the event (or another color for multiple events).    Very helpful, visually.

--Customizeable view of the main calendar.  In Calendarscope, besides the normal options for viewing (week, day, month) you can also set a user customizeable setting (I liked to use 6-week view).  I find that a lot of calendar software focus on the detailed daily/weekly views and don't give as much attention to the larger, monthly views.  I use primarily the monthly views and rarely use the daily/weekly views because I never have more than one or two things to do in a day (I'm not a CEO or anything).  Calendarscope has a great monthly view because it's colorful, easy to read, and helps your eye focus on the right spots.

--Speaking of focusing your eye, I find that on you module, the bar on the calendar view where the day number is show...the bar is too big, it's as big as an event, and is confusing because it looks like an event!  I don't know if you can control that, but that's something I noticed.

Anyway, there's probably more stuff, but I'm tired of typing.  It's mostly visual, or customizing things.  The basic funcionality of most calendar programs are the same (there isn't really that many creative things you can do with it).  Calendarscope is just so perfect.  My only complaint with it is it's price and upgrade fees.  but maybe I'll just suck it up and get it.  Here's screenshots comparing the two and should show why calendarscope just gets it right.
Screenshot_20071211-093108.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?  Screenshot_20071211-093121.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: December 11, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Colors: I can control the colors, so your suggestion is taken
Date selector: I don't like the one that is bundled. Will most likely use a different one
6-day display: That is possible. Customize the 5-day view to display 6 days
Day bar height: I'll check on that. [edit] The Office 2000/2003 themes are nicer for that aspect
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:53 AM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: December 11, 2007, 12:30 PM »
Yes, the other themes are much better!  Do you think you can get the program to show all 7 days in the month view so it doesn't bundle Sat/Sun into one box?  How closely can you get it to resemble the Calendarscope view?

You should really try Calendarscope to see all the things it can do.  I've looked into a lot of Calendar programs, and I really feel Calendarscope is unique in terms of visual appearance and customization (not necessarily in function).  I've come across several people who also feel Calendarscope is the best.  But they are turned off by the pricing, that's the only thing.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2007, 12:49 PM »
Yes there is an option not to compress week-ends in month view.

pricing: I see $39.95 on their web-site... That is expensive? If that software is useful, isn't worth the price of a few CDs, a day skiing, a dinner at the restaurant, a tank-full of gas, etc ???  ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2007, 12:53 PM »
well, it's not really that expensive, but when there are so many free ones available, it makes you want to spend less.  I'm a cheap bastard!  OK, I'll probably go buy it tonight.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2007, 08:42 PM »
Date selector: I don't like the one that is bundled. Will most likely use a different one
Day bar height: I'll check on that. [edit] The Office 2000/2003 themes are nicer for that aspect
I checked and...: the date selector can be color coded and the Day bar can be customized  :up:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: December 12, 2007, 12:13 AM »
I checked and...: the date selector can be color coded and the Day bar can be customized  :up:
Sweet!  Are you saying you can add a colored box around the date selector numbers that match the associated category (like Calendarscope)?
When will this feature be available for SQLNotes?  If not pretty soon, i'm just going to buy Calendarscope in the meantime.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: December 12, 2007, 08:05 AM »
>Sweet!  Are you saying you can add a colored box around the date selector numbers that match the associated category (like Calendarscope)?
>When will this feature be available for SQLNotes?  If not pretty soon, i'm just going to buy Calendarscope in the meantime.

Yes colored box around the date selector number is possible
As to a date, all I can say is that I'm working on it. Perhaps for Xmas. Key criteria are complete integration with SQLNotes and that it be fast!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: December 12, 2007, 10:12 AM »
>Sweet!  Are you saying you can add a colored box around the date selector numbers that match the associated category (like Calendarscope)?
>When will this feature be available for SQLNotes?  If not pretty soon, i'm just going to buy Calendarscope in the meantime.

Yes colored box around the date selector number is possible
As to a date, all I can say is that I'm working on it. Perhaps for Xmas. Key criteria are complete integration with SQLNotes and that it be fast!
Well, sounds like you're working on it as fast as possible.  I bought Calendarscope last night anyway.  It's the best calendar ever.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2007, 02:04 PM »
Well, sounds like you're working on it as fast as possible.  I bought Calendarscope last night anyway.  It's the best calendar ever.
Good for you. You'll be able to feed me with great ideas for the SQLNotes calendar  ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: December 14, 2007, 11:58 AM »
I will definitely comment on the SQL calendar as it gets implemented.

Here's an idea for searching in SQLNotes.  It may be asking a lot, I don't know how hard or easy it would be to implement, but it's just something I thought of:
I keep thinking about EverNote and how I still want to continue using it despite the power that is available in SN.  And it keeps going back to one thing: it's just so easy and so fast to find something ESPECIALLY when you have no idea where to look.  So, i was thinking that it would be nice if SN had a special "search" module or window.  Inside this search window would be a complete list of all the data inside the database, unabridged, with all the fields and everything.  Just a massive, unorganized view of the entire database.  Then there would be on search box (like evernote), and you just go in it and begin typing what you're looking for, and as you type the list gets shorter and shorter until you find what you're looking for.  I can go into more detail, but that's the basic idea.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2007, 03:11 PM »
Here's an idea for searching in SQLNotes.  It may be asking a lot, I don't know how hard or easy it would be to implement, but it's just something I thought of:
I keep thinking about EverNote and how I still want to continue using it despite the power that is available in SN.  And it keeps going back to one thing: it's just so easy and so fast to find something ESPECIALLY when you have no idea where to look.  So, i was thinking that it would be nice if SN had a special "search" module or window.  Inside this search window would be a complete list of all the data inside the database, unabridged, with all the fields and everything.  Just a massive, unorganized view of the entire database.  Then there would be on search box (like evernote), and you just go in it and begin typing what you're looking for, and as you type the list gets shorter and shorter until you find what you're looking for.  I can go into more detail, but that's the basic idea.

Try the latest build. I've added a quick search window.
- CTRL-Q to activate
- Start typing. The list will automatically get filtered
- Hit enter to display the items in the search grid

QuickSearch.jpgSQLNotes...what is it exactly?
Thanks for the idea. A great addition.

BTW I want put the Quick Search text box in the menu (after Help). It is more complicated, so for now it will be in the pop-up window
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 03:15 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2007, 04:25 PM »
That is unbelievably awesome!  This program is getting to be more and more exciting.  That search box is really nice an, yes, it would be very cool if it were right on the menubar.

In Evernote, as you type each letter, the list gets filtered just like your search box.  Also, each match gets highlighted as you type in the search box.  It helps draw the eye towards the matching items.  I know it's more complex in SN because of all the fields, though.  For your search box, since the html pane is a special field that will usually have a lot of text in it rather than the short text in the regular items, maybe there could be a way to show more of that field in the matching results and possibly highlighting matching terms, like evernote does.  I can't picture how this would work, but it's just an idea.  I see that right now, each line represents an item and it's fields.  How would you show multiple lines?  I don't know.  Then again, you don't want to show all of the html pane since there might be pages of text in there which would be too much for the search results box.  Maybe other people have ideas on how to make something like that work.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: December 14, 2007, 04:28 PM »
> I see that right now, each line represents an item and it's fields. How would you show multiple lines?

I show it that way to show more items. You can resize the line to show more if you want.

As to highlighting found text, yes, I'm waiting on some improvements by the grid manufacturer for that one
I also want to add radio buttons to select the field type to search (text, date, numbers)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 04:31 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2007, 05:29 PM »
> I see that right now, each line represents an item and it's fields. How would you show multiple lines?

I show it that way to show more items. You can resize the line to show more if you want.

As to highlighting found text, yes, I'm waiting on some improvements by the grid manufacturer for that one
I also want to add radio buttons to select the field type to search (text, date, numbers)
No, you misunderstood me.  It's good that the lines are single lines.  I was just talking about the html pane field because there is normally going to be several lines of text in there, unlike the other fields.  So, it's good for the other fields to be shown on one line so that more items can fit in the window.  However, what do you do about the html pane field?  How do you leave the other fields as one line, but mult-line for the html pane?  I don't know.  But it would be nice to see multiple lines for the html pane, like a little preview.  Sort of like the searching in this DC forum:
Screenshot_20071214-152728.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?
So, it's an interesting problem, because it's the only field that will consistently have multiple lines.  But you don't want to decrease the effective space of the other search results for just that one field.  I don't know the solution, I can think about it and tell you later if I come up with anything.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: December 14, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Nice addition Pierre. Immensely useful :up:
Can't wait for the calendar and the gantt chart...! (And, ultimately, an easier Outlook import system for my contacts, tasks, etc. of course).
Seeing how quick you can implement new features, I'm sure that SQLNotes will become a great, flexible notetaker. IMO, like I said in the other thread, a good notetaker must allow for quick and effortless note jotting (with a simple keyboard shortcut) and web clipping + easy and powerful search (like superboyac said).