ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (26/235) > >>

superboyac:
Can I hide that "#" column?  Do I need it?  Does each item have its own ID number that the program keeps track of?  If I start a new grid and want to reference items in another grid, how do link to that item?  I'm sure there has to be a unique ID somewhere for each one.

Also, i couldn't find how to do this, so if there isn't this feature yet, it should probably be added: expand all/collapse all.  There should be a way to expand all the items and collapse them all, to save some tedious clicking sometimes.

I'm loving this program, I've already constructed the basic outline of my database.
SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

PPLandry:
Can I hide that "#" column?  Do I need it?  Does each item have its own ID number that the program keeps track of?  If I start a new grid and want to reference items in another grid, how do link to that item?  I'm sure there has to be a unique ID somewhere for each one.

Also, i couldn't find how to do this, so if there isn't this feature yet, it should probably be added: expand all/collapse all.  There should be a way to expand all the items and collapse them all, to save some tedious clicking sometimes.

I'm loving this program...-superboyac (November 28, 2007, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
- To hide the # column, reduce its size to zero
- Yes all items have an ID. Checkout the properties pane, first line. You can drag it to the grid if you want it displayed
- Items dont belong to a grid. They are displayed in grids. So an item can be displayed in as many grids as you wish. The grid criteria decides which items are shown.
- Expand All: CTRL-9
- Collapse All: CTRL-1
- Check Grid>Save Item State. The grid will always return to the same state

Glad to see that you've seen the light. It takes a while to graps it. Congratulations

PPLandry:
Your structure will work, but there is redundant information. In the Ecco concept, you could use the Item field (column):
- Author
- - Album 1
- - - Song 1
- - - Song 2
- - Album 2

Both are valid ways of doing. It all depends on what you want to do with your info. What kind of analysis you want. Your approach allows better data analysis. The Ecco way is simpler and visually more pleasing, but data extraction/analysis is more limited. But it gets the job done very quickly:
1- Create grid MusicLibrary
2- Start entering singer, album, song. No fields to create. Just use Item.

Either way is good!

PPLandry:
Along the Ecco line, you can create special parent fields (default template has been updated with those fields). The UI would now be:

Notice that you only enter information in the items column, the other columns are generated automatically and take NO space in the database.

Have fun!

PPLandry:
Or if you wanted to add a ratings column, to allow filtering (rating>2 for example), it could be:

[edit] but don't get me wrong, your approach is quite adequate, so stick with it if you want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version