topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832114 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #1150 on: June 19, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Pierre has made a post in the InfoQube (SQLNotes) forum
Demystifying InfoQube

IMHO, it is an incredibly simple program. The concept can be summarized as follows:
. . .
all we need now is a few beginners to test/see if he has made it all perfectly simple ;)
Tom

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1151 on: June 19, 2009, 05:57 PM »
Is it possible to import text files from folders-subfolders and use them as items in InfoQube? I do not want to manually create stuff. I want to import some 800 plain text files into IQ as content.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1152 on: June 19, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Is it possible to import text files from folders-subfolders and use them as items in InfoQube? I do not want to manually create stuff. I want to import some 800 plain text files into IQ as content.

Hi Kartal,
It would probably be best to post that question in the IQ forum. However, all I can say is that it's not part of IQ's philosophy to import whole documents into it but, rather, link them to the database. But... it would probably be trivial for Pierre to add this option to IQ -- just ask Pierre.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1153 on: June 19, 2009, 06:38 PM »
Yes it would be quite easy.

Which brings another issue. IQ HTML pane does not support editing of plain text files (there is a source code editor for the html). Plain text files will get converted to HTML. Is there a need for a plain text editor?  

Of which there is 2 types:
1- notepad type (enhanced of course)
2- source code editor (like the one already included in the VBScript editor) (line numbers, no wrap, syntax highlighting, expand/collapse sections ,etc)

and yes, this discussion may continue on the IQ community web site...
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1154 on: June 19, 2009, 07:05 PM »

Hi Kartal,
It would probably be best to post that question in the IQ forum. However, all I can say is that it's not part of IQ's philosophy to import whole documents into it but, rather, link them to the database. But... it would probably be trivial for Pierre to add this option to IQ -- just ask Pierre.

Armando, thanks for the reply. Linking would not do any good to me because I probably wont be able to search them. I woulld prefer that IQ would import them then create the topics based on file names.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1155 on: June 19, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Linking would not do any good to me because I probably wont be able to search them. I woulld prefer that IQ would import them then create the topics based on file names.
Ah, but linked content is also indexed in IQ, so you could search your text content in IQ even though it is saved on disk. So embedded or linked, no difference. It is your choice. As a bonus, if it is linked, desktop search engines will find it too.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1156 on: June 19, 2009, 08:09 PM »

Hi Kartal,

Armando, thanks for the reply. Linking would not do any good to me because I probably wont be able to search them. I woulld prefer that IQ would import them then create the topics based on file names.
I second this.  I've already created a mantis suggestion for it a while ago.  Yes, the item field should be the filename, and the contents of the text file should go in the html pane.  Either that, or the user should be able to specify how each gets mapped.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1157 on: June 19, 2009, 08:12 PM »
>The item field should be the filename, and the contents of the text file should go in the html pane.

Yes, this is an extension to the new drag-drop UI that is definitely planned. So the dropped files could go in either
1- Fileref fields
2- URL field
3- in HTML pane

(in fact, it is already in the UI, but disabled as I did not get to code it)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1158 on: June 19, 2009, 10:48 PM »
Ah, but linked content is also indexed in IQ, so you could search your text content in IQ even though it is saved on disk. So embedded or linked, no difference. It is your choice. As a bonus, if it is linked, desktop search engines will find it too.

I wasn't aware of that. I know it's true of MHT files which are linked to the HTML pane. But is it true of any other link (using the "File link" dialog) ?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1159 on: June 19, 2009, 10:59 PM »
No, not the file link UI which does not (yet) have the HTML pane option (actually it is there but disabled).

But rather, if you do in the HTML pane: Menu>>File>>Open, select a text file and click save. Content will be indexed in the DB and searchable. You can still transparently edit the file in IQ (which will save it on disk automatically).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:01 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1160 on: July 27, 2009, 03:46 PM »
Suggestion for HTML pane:
I need a way to quickly apply styles of my choosing to the things I'm putting in the HTML pane.  It's too much work right now to change the fonts, sizes, bold, etc.  I need buttons or something where I can save preset styles once I've configured them.

Also, can we have a toolbar to control things like font size, font type, etc. like a normal writing application?  I find it difficult to think of it in terms of html code.  Like font sizes numbered 1-7 is weird for me, why can't we have normal font sizes like 10,12,14,etc...?  I know we can convert these to Word documents and other formats, but that's more inconvenient that directly typing in the editor.  It's easier if the html pane was more like a traditional writing application than an html editor.  Now, if we're going to use the html environment, it would be necessary to tweak to interface to behave like a traditional writing application.  Again, that means toolbars, buttons like MS Word.  I know that some of the basics are there like bold, italic buttons and outliner buttons, but the other ones for the rest of the style settings would be convenient also.  Especially some kind of drop-down box for choosing user-defined custom styles.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:52 PM by superboyac »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
InfoQube - Vote for your most desired features
« Reply #1161 on: November 02, 2009, 09:34 AM »
I quote Pierre from the IQ forum:

Vote for your most desired features
[you can suggest features too]

What features (new, changes, bug fix) would you like implemented in InfoQube ? Now you and others can propose new features and vote for them. This will guide us, and together, we'll make InfoQube, the best Information Manager System!
Click here to access the feature list.

This feedback system is powered by UserVoice. You don't need to register/login to use it (it identifies you by your IP address). If you do register, there are some small advantages. Either way, you are entitled to 10 votes.
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1162 on: April 30, 2010, 05:16 PM »
I've ramped up my usage of Infoqube lately, with Armando's expert help.  I just have to make this one comment:

Infoqube is, in my personal opinion, the most important software development taking place that I know of.

This program does so much, has so much potential, and can influence so much of your life.  I hope it's something Pierre can sustain well into maturity.  The program is practically it's own operating system.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1163 on: May 03, 2010, 10:28 AM »
Wow !!! Thanks superboyac for such a nice testimonial.  :Thmbsup:

As far as my level of commitment to this project, no need to worry. I'll bring it to v1.0 and beyond !

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1164 on: May 03, 2010, 11:34 AM »

As far as my level of commitment to this project, no need to worry. I'll bring it to v1.0 and beyond !
Glad to hear.  I've been working with Armando the last couple of weeks, and I was continually blown away by what he was able to do with the program.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1165 on: May 16, 2010, 03:51 PM »

Glad to hear.  I've been working with Armando the last couple of weeks, and I was continually blown away by what he was able to do with the program.

Well expand a little on this! I've never quite been able to master IQ well enough to make it my "daily use" data collection/organizing tool, though I do have a license and would love someday to be able use it more, or even to learn more about using it.

I usually need a good reference for (almost constant!) referral, like a comprehensive manual or a good Help file. When it is all on the forum or a wiki-type help system I flounder quickly and then drift back to my current standby info manager.
Let's hear how you are using IQ; are you using it for all your info collecting/organization? Or just for a specific project at present?

Thanks!

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1166 on: May 16, 2010, 07:39 PM »
J-Mac, I answer for myself, but Armando uses it much more intensively (and impressively!) than I do.  However, lately, I have been using it much more and it is my primary information manager at this point.  I still use OneNote occasionally because it's layout offers some things that IQ doesn't yet.  Which is, a post-it like experience.  So sometimes I'll jot some random notes in Onenote.  But if they are significant at all, they make their way into IQ.

Back to IQ...I use it for all sorts of purposes.  On one hand, I use it to store random bits of information that might interest me later.  But then I also have specific grids setup to perform specific functions.  That's why I say it's like a mini OS.  I have the project management grid that Armando created (in my other thread) which is programmed to manage meetings, action items, contact lists.  By "programmed" that means there are things happening behind the scenes to tie everything together.  Like, one grid may show all my action items, but another grid will show the same action items under a list that is organized by the meeting date that it came from, but that list will also show the attendees of the meeting, etc.

I have a grid for my transcript, and it calculates my GPA automatically, meaning, I just put in my letter grades and IQ does the rest.

I have certain grids at work where I jot notes down, but I need dates associated with it, so it will look like a list of items, but there's also a column for dates.

I don't know how to describe this effectively.  Screenshots would be better, but I don't have the time right now.  I feel like IQ can literally be used for anything.  Whenever I'm looking for a software for something, and I have a hard time finding it, I immediately think about how to set it up in IQ, and more often than not, IQ will be able to do it.  That's how the project management thing started.

IQ is like having a bucket of stuff (called "fields").  Whenever it comes time to putting some information together, you just grab some fields from the bucket and use them.  If they don't exist, you can easily make your own.

It's almost like a cross between Excel, Access, and a outline-style notetaker...and Word to boot.  At some point, videos would be needed to demonstrate all of this.  Because the power of IQ is not apparent without seeing it in use.  If you just open the program up, you won't really have an idea what it is capable of.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1167 on: May 17, 2010, 02:02 AM »
It's almost like a cross between Excel, Access, and a outline-style notetaker...and Word to boot.  At some point, videos would be needed to demonstrate all of this.  Because the power of IQ is not apparent without seeing it in use.  If you just open the program up, you won't really have an idea what it is capable of to do.

Sorry, couldn't help it :mrgreen:. I am taking my baby steps with it at the moment, and while it certainly has great great potential, it is indeed sometimes hidden well.

It's one of those pieces of software where you can feel that genius is just under the surface, but you have to decide if you want to fight the surface to get to it. I am trying.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1168 on: May 17, 2010, 11:27 AM »
It's almost like a cross between Excel, Access, and a outline-style notetaker...and Word to boot.  At some point, videos would be needed to demonstrate all of this.  Because the power of IQ is not apparent without seeing it in use.  If you just open the program up, you won't really have an idea what it is capable of to do.

Sorry, couldn't help it :mrgreen:. I am taking my baby steps with it at the moment, and while it certainly has great great potential, it is indeed sometimes hidden well.

It's one of those pieces of software where you can feel that genius is just under the surface, but you have to decide if you want to fight the surface to get to it. I am trying.

It's a bit hard to get how everything works at first.

IMO 1- because it's still not reached V1 (it's beta and so it's missing a few features and has a few bugs and UI weirdness that haven't been worked out yet), 2- because it,s a bit different than most other PIMs,  3- because it's possible to do so many things with it.

=======

To answer J-Mac's question : I use IQ for almost anything I do : project management, tasks management, personal diary, work on values-goals , physical and psychological personal research, "scenic composition" and directing, class room organization and student marking, personal accounting (in conjuntion with excel), notes, references and web clips (I've got 1000s), and all kinds of other stuff... And all these are interrelated, linked in different ways, shown in different grid contexts, etc. That's what's interesting (...to me).

What I keep outside of it right now are emails (because it's not really designed to be an e-mail software and there are already great solutions for that), appointments (because of syncing etc. but this feature will be added during the summer according to the road map),  big documents (like books, etc. -- but I'll often keep links to them in IQ depending on the project/task), and maybe a few things like scripts and other programming related stuff (but this is another thing that IQ could be : an IDE. It has several characteristics that I find would be interesting to find in an IDE...).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:46 PM by Armando »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1169 on: August 26, 2010, 09:36 AM »
I usually need a good reference for (almost constant!) referral, like a comprehensive manual or a good Help file. When it is all on the forum or a wiki-type help system I flounder quickly and then drift back to my current standby info manager.

Jibz made a downloadable help file which is a direct copy of the online manual * (occasionally synced/updated) available here (direct download link): IQ Manual.

* that means this help file is also a work in progress! But it certainly is a joy to use compared to the online manual  :up:
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1170 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19 PM »
This is truly excellent! Thank you Tom for the announcement and link, and a very special thank you to Jibz for creating this and making it available to us!!   :D  :-*  :P

Jim

Unfortunately, I headed over to the IQ forum to see what else is going on and getting from one page to another got to be longer than 3 minutes! As usual I gave up. Someone HAS to get that website fixed....  Armando, Tom, you guys have pull!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:51 PM by J-Mac »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1171 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55 PM »
eheh... Yes, I know what you mean. The thing is, I don't think more time and money will be invested on the website/server side at this stage of development -- probably more around the release of V1.

--> Usually it works though... There are periods of the day where it's damn slow though... I agree. The download area is always responsive though.