ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (221/235) > >>

Armando:
Just an update... I'm finishing up the FireFox extension, which will ease web content clipping
1- Grab whole page, plus URL
2- Grab current selection, plus URL

Anything else worth grabbing? i.e. Title, page date, grab date, etc.

What are your thoughts on UI. Should the clip go straight to the database, or should you be presented the New Item UI, to better control the import? I can hear the answer... you want both  ;)
-PPLandry (November 06, 2008, 09:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think : title, page date and grab date are important -- of course, the item's creation date tells the grab date already (and it's read only, so...).

And, yes, I'd like to be able to choose if I want my item directly to the database, or presented with the "add item" UI. For the reasons you explained + be able to accumulate clips inside the same item, etc.... Great, great ideas.

Not sure that I understand you Pierre.  What is a "folder" in IQ? Actually I don’t have any! And this is absolutely the first time I have heard anyone mention folders in IQ.

Did I miss something? You have "field" in parenthises; is every field a folder? (Oh no, now I'm confusing me too!)
-J-Mac (November 06, 2008, 11:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think you missed anything.  ;)

Pierre used the folder metaphor to describe fields -- in the wiki, fields are sometimes described as folders. Personally (IMVHO...) I think we should really avoid doing that... it IS confusing. Even if it sorta makes sense (fields contain the info of different items, so they can be compared to folders... but... but...)

How do you mean "control the item text"? I'm talking about capturing a web page or part of a web page. Do you mean edit the text on the page? If so, I explained that above.

And as for the "item keeps accumulating your clips", how would clipping directly to the database affect that?

Jim
-J-Mac (November 06, 2008, 11:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you clip directly to the database, each clip would be recorded as an independent item, most probably (although, that could be set as an option within the context menu attached to the "clip as IQ item" firefox button/option.... But I digress...). So Pierre only suggested (among other things) that some of us might want the option of accumulating several clips inside the same item -- e.g. : you're clipping several parts of one web page, and you want all these parts in the same item for increased coherence and ease of data manipulation...

J-Mac:
Gotcha.

Thanks Armando!

Jim

tomos:
clipping several parts of one page in one item sounds great - I guess it would be unfeasible to clip parts of various pages to one item?

This is probably your intention anyway:-
How about if the new item window comes up with Title of webpage in "Item Text" and if one simply presses return, the new item is saved (i.e. pretty much same as now except all areas automatically filled)

freewareking101:
ohh! its good to have this. I didn't thought there is something like this.
very helpful
Thanks for sharing!

superboyac:
I'm trying to export to Excel...I highlight all the rows of items in my grid (all of them), and then I click the export to excel button.  I open the file, and only the very top level item is there.  How do I get all the other ones to appear in the excel file?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version