topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 832082 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2007, 03:10 PM »
At the same time, some features are still missing in SQLNotes for now... but they'll be added!

Ooooo Ooooo I want a pony. No! A schrubbery.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2007, 04:28 PM »
No! A schrubbery.
Ni!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 04:31 PM by jgpaiva »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Dang! And I was trying to think of a rejoinder - perfect, João  :Thmbsup:

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Just an update:

A DateFilter toolbar is now available in SQLNotes. It can be used to easily filter on date ranges (day, work week, week, month, year, user-defined length). With it you can:

1- Manage appointments
2- Manage ToDos
3- See information added or modified last week
4- View invoices for July
5- Billable hours done last week
5- etc.

DateToolbar8.jpg
(This would show appointments for the month of october)
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:29 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2007, 03:06 PM »
A new example was posted on the SQLNotes wiki showing how to link a SQLNotes file to a back-end database, such as SQL Server, local or remote:

http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/

(for those technically inclined...)

BTW Many of the advanced features of SQLNotes (including this one) are beyond typical users. So there is a good market for those, technically inclined, that want to become SQLNotes consultants providing turn-key type applications to busy individuals or organisations. Contact me at [email protected] for more information.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2007, 08:14 PM »
You can now use the new formatting toolbar to easily apply formatting to items:
(foreground color, background color, font, size, bold, italic, underline, strikeout).

ItemFormatToolbar2.jpg

Plus since the formatting is simply stored in a field, you can:
* search for items with any given formatting (all red, all italic, bold and green, etc)
* Choose a different field for the format, and instantly change or remove the formatting

SQLNotes is becoming more and more text outliner friendly (it was initially more of a data outliner/grid)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 08:19 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2007, 08:29 PM »
Version 0.9.20 is released. All users can download a free version at www.sqlnotes.net

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2007, 10:36 PM »
Thanks Pierre! Really haven't got the chance to "play" with it lately...  :(
I must admit that I'm kind of postponing real testing  for when the calendar (and maybe even palm synchronization) will be ready.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2007, 10:44 PM »
I can understand  :-[.

But even without these, it can be a great information manager. I've been using it for the last 3 years to manage my life and my business. I'd never go back to Ecco. IMHO, the organisational capabilities are huge!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2007, 10:51 PM »
I can already see that ! The problem is that I still rely on my Outlook/Palm for so many things that when/if I make a move, it'll have to be worth it.  :)

But that doesn't mean I won't try SQLNotes again and again ! Just because I believe that there must be a way out of Outlook. (I've actually installed a bunch of "daily builds", just for the sake of seeing the progress -- all I can say is that everyday it's getting closer to what I -- and probably others too -- need...)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2007, 10:59 PM »
Great to hear that. I personally was never a beta tester. So I admire those that have/take the time to try work-in-progress software.

I expect to have a first calendar as a X-mas gift to users  8). It will have Outlook-like recurring events and alarms (more advanced versions of these will follow, including multi-database value-based alarms, not just date-based)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2007, 11:03 PM »
Cooool !! :up:
multi-database value-based alarms...OOoooh! sounds REALLY nice. Now that's something Outlook doesn’t have to my knowledge. Or does it?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2007, 11:23 PM »
No, Outlook has date/time based alarms only, and only 1 per item (as far as I know)

[value-based alarms]
So when a value is automatically re-evaluated (yes SN does this in background), it can trigger an alarm (project cost going over budget, stock value going under a certain price, etc).

Alarms will be of varying levels too. Some will simply show up in an non-disruptive alarm/reminders window. Other more important ones will show in a message box. The alarm level will be calculated, so the same alarm will display differently, depending on other parameters/values (i.e. appointments can be made to first show up in the alarms window, and later on in a message box). An infinite number of alarms will be possible for each item.

Finally, it will monitor/display alarms from a number of database files (much like Ecco). The process will run independant of SN and it will be possible to load it at startup to have alarm notifications even when SN is not running.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2007, 07:26 PM »
This sounds really really nice.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2007, 03:24 PM »
OK, PPL, I finally got a chance to try out your program.  By the way, thanks for the wiki, it's very helpful.

I'm giving up on the basketball one and trying something more simple and useful for myself, as a beginner.  What I want to do is create my own database for my favorite music/albums.  They will have my personal comments/reviews associated with each entry.  So far, here is the layout of my database, as far as the fields:
--Album
--Artist
--SongTitle
--Notes (I just used the default SQL field for this one)

So, for each item, I will have a review of it associated with it.  However, I have a question.  Should I write my review in the Notes field, or in the HTML pane?  I'm leaning on doing it in the HTML pane to take advantage of the formatting options.  Besides, it's too hard to control paragraphs and multiple lines in a regular field, because if you press Enter, it doesn't start a new line, but assumes you're finishing the editing (like a spreadsheet).  The only thing I'm worried about is what is the property of the HTML pane?  Is it considered a specialized field?  Or is it something else?  If I wanted to export the database to excel or something, would the html content be associated with the item, like the other fields would be?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure writing the reviews in the HTML pane is the way to go, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2007, 03:35 PM »
You can use either a regular field or the HTML pane.
If you use a regular field, Shift-enter enters a line-return. Shift-F2 opens up a editing window and then Enter works as expected.
If you use the HTML pane, formatting is easier. However exporting to Excel will fill it with the complete HTML code, which may be a problem. I haven't tried that one yet.

The advantage of the regular field, is that you can see it in the grid.

If you go with the HTML pane, let me know, I can make a modification to allow for Excel export of that content

BTW you know that the default template (file>new) includes a fully working sample of your basketball example?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2007, 04:02 PM »
OK, I understand.  I think I'm going to go with the HTML pane.  Each entry is going to have a lot of text in it, so it will be easier to read in the pane, rather than a field up in the grid.  Don't worry about exporting to excel, I was just thinking out loud.  If anything, once I'm done, I'd like to be able to export it to my website.  I just want to be sure that the HTML pane content is associated to each item like fields are.

Yeah, I saw the basketball template.  it was cool!  But truth be told, I'm kind of over that idea for the time being.  The music database will be much more useful for me.  But it was nice seeing how you set that up with the custom fields and everything.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2007, 04:07 PM »
Great!
There is an auto-save mode for the HTML Pane, you probably want it enabled. If you experience any problem with it, do not hesitate to inform me. If editing is problematic, you can resort to writing the content in an email and drag-dropping in the pane. I don't use the pane much, so it is not as well tested.

You can of course, drag-drop web content about the song to this pane.

Any suggestions are welcome!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2007, 04:12 PM »
Oh yeah!  I forgot about that.  How can I get rid of all the saving prompts?  It's a little annoying when it asks me if I want it to save every time I change something in an item.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2007, 04:13 PM »
In HTML pane menu>File>AutoSave

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2007, 04:46 PM »
Thanks.

Here's a screenshot of what I've done so far:
Screenshot - 11_28_2007 , 2_40_41 PM.pngSQLNotes...what is it exactly?

What determines which field the expand/collapse button appears on?  It automatically appeared on the "ALbum" field, but I think I would prefer it on the Artist field.  Also, the column on the left labeled "#" is automatically numbering each entry.  What determines the numbers and how to I edit this field or tweak it?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2007, 05:24 PM »
OK, more questions (is it appropriate to ask all these specific questions here?  If not, let me know.)

I found out about the "set tree column" option, so disregard the question in the previous post.

Now, I'm going to take advantage of the tree outline.  I want the Artist to be the main topic (album and songtitle fields blank).  Then I will make a subtopic which will include the Album (other two fields blank).  Then, I will make one more subtopic for the songtitle field.  Is there a way for suptopics to automatically fill their parent fields?  For example, if I leave the suptopic field for Artist blank, because it's parent has the Artist field already, can it detect that and automatically fill in the artist for the subtopic?  Here's a screenshot:
Screenshot - 11_28_2007 , 3_23_32 PM.png

OR

Instead of organizing the heirarchy manually, I will fill all the fields manually with no subtopics, and then I'll use a pivot table to sort the items according to album, artist, etc.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2007, 05:34 PM »
You probably want to set inheritance for both Artist and Album fields (value-> sub-items checked).

Yes it is fine to ask here!

[edit] if you set inheritance and make a change to the artist, the change will trickle down
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:38 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2007, 05:50 PM »
Thanks, this program is awesome.  It's like Access except easier to use.

What's the plan for user-defineable keyboard shortcuts?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:52 PM by superboyac »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2007, 06:25 PM »
Thanks, this program is awesome.  It's like Access except easier to use.

What's the plan for user-defineable keyboard shortcuts?

That's exactly it. Access but simpler, plus with outline, fonts, HTML, calendar (soon),  plus ...

You can already customize some. All will be customizable. Do same as Office to customize (right-click on toolbar > customize ...