ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does your Vista installation run out of memory when copying files?

<< < (3/4) > >>

justice:
1st: slow copying and moving operations, as in very slow, even with a fresh install, new computer. Made no sense until I read that it was built in to discourage copying too many items without the usual DRM shackles.
-zridling (October 17, 2007, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you have a source for that? I really doubt that this is the case. Ms also published patches to improve performance, things will be better now than they were last february.

Dirhael:
1st: slow copying and moving operations, as in very slow, even with a fresh install, new computer. Made no sense until I read that it was built in to discourage copying too many items without the usual DRM shackles.
-zridling (October 17, 2007, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you have a source for that? I really doubt that this is the case. Ms also published patches to improve performance, things will be better now than they were last february.
-justice (October 18, 2007, 03:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

He is partially right in that Vista used to (and still is in certain cases) be slow copying/moving/deleting files compared to XP, but it has absolutely nothing to do with DRM.

Josh:
Yeah, the DRM claim sounds like that of the DRM-paranoid rather than a legitimate claim. Unless there is proof that this IS the reason they slowed down copying, then I will consider this report as FUD just like much of the info put out by the anti-vista group.

f0dder:
Does anybody have a real explanation why move/copy is slow and has the out-of-memory bug?

Josh:
The reason I feel it is slower is due to the OS trying to read all of the attributes of the files before a copy begins. If you see, it tries to "gather information" prior to the copy. I think this is part of what it is doing. It is a whole lot faster, although not AS fast as it used to be, with the patch that MS released.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version