ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting...50x Faster Than BitTorrent

<< < (2/2)

f0dder:
Well, I can think of some protocol reasons why something might be smarter than torrents - with torrent clients, you receive your chinks in more or less arbitrary order. If you want to watch stuff as-you-download, you need a more ordered stream.

But hey, I guess that should be possible to do with the BitTorrent protocol as well, especially if you have a legit content-serving network where you will always have a bunch of servers with the full files, unlike how... "other kinds" of torrents... are distributed.

Speaking of legit content delivery, I wonder wtf valve/steam doesn't use a distributed model. Okay, might not be possible to do it securely using end-user p2p (afaik the big .gcf files with game content are encrypted per-user), but they could at least distribute the workload between their content servers. When I purchased the Orange Pack, I downloaded it at <50kb/s most of the time. It would probably have been faster to get the game files pirated :)

Laughing Man:
Yeah I did notice it was probably due to the networking in China. But at the same time it's also interesting because since patents and copyright infringements aren't as enforced in China it's interesting to see these things pop up. Makes you wonder what may be possible if copyrights/patents weren't so messed up in the US.

(note I do think that copyrights have a purpose but the amount of time they last is absurd). For copyright reform I'd just want them to reduce the amount of time you could hold a copyright.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version