ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Use video RAM as a swap disk?

<< < (7/7)

f0dder:
Ah, makes sense - and shouldn't be too bad to code, although it would be a bit more complicated and require a bit more memory (ie., storing list of folders-to-check-later rather than processing when you find them).

Calculation of dirsizes shouldn't be too bad, a simplistic approach would be walking the tree after you're done.

Heh, I really feel like resuming work on my own file indexer now :)

Crush:
Aha, I´m not alone with my kind of project... cool ... I think this is a really useful type of software. It´s a pity that there have been quite less suggestions in my what-do-you-like-to-see-threads (not only at Donationcoder).

I spent very much time in trying out different approaches to maximum performance and analysis of existing/benching catalogers, code and Filesystems. There are also other screws to turn: Perhaps there are ways to make the structure even more flexible than normal a fixed structure. I´ve already experimented with some emulation-like dynamic recompiler that creates code from snippets, treating only these datas and parameters you really need, skipping unnecessary code like date/time/dir checking if not used for searches. I´m only thinking about how to use this in a simple way with different structures (especially for additional outsourced datas). A main reason of the design is to use several cpu-cores parallel that they even can do different search tasks returning different result lists and that the code could be used for other types of high speed/much information databases or also simple ones (movie, library, customer management and so on). To organize this and other planned features working optimal together also crushes my brain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version