ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Older Newsletters

Newletter for October 15 - Codename "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK"

<< < (4/6) > >>

Darwin:
I wonder how those spammers send millions of emails a day...
-housetier (October 18, 2007, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably have servers dedicated to sending out SPAM (DC has to contend with 1000's of visitors a day, probably tens of 1000's a day, all of them downloading content and some of them uploading it as well in the form of attachments to forum postings, etc.).

housetier:
sp dc would need dedicated servers for distributing emails as well. Can't we get a good deal at amazon's web service thingie? Or a few volunteers setup a "relay host" only for DC.

You can tell I have never had to send 45K mails in one go... :)

Darwin:
Ah, you've reminded of my other thought (which I lost in the course of writing my previous note) -I'm speculating, but I'm wondering if some of the smaller operation spammers use some sort of trojan/malware to use people's machines as drones to assist them in dealing with the volume of mail they send out each day?

Lashiec:
I see where you're headed... and I completely agree! Let's build a Cody botnet, yay! ;D The trojan is in the works :P

Seriously, yes, do a search of "spam trojan" in Google and you'll get tons of hits, just an example

Darwin:
Crumb, I don't know if I was being incredibly (and atypically) insightful or if I've read about this in the past and simply forgotten  :-[ about it, but sometimes it sucks being right! That is truly scary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version