ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fixed Drive Letters for Removable Drives

(1/6) > >>

anjan_oleti:
Is there a way to assign a Fixed Drive Letter for a removable drive (usb or hard drive), irrespective of the computer with which it is used?

I would like to have some toolbars, macros, etc. to use Fixed Paths, even when used in other computers..

Cheers!

Lashiec:
I don't think so, mostly to avoid hardware conflicts. If you assign "F:" to your USB drive, it would work fine on your computer, for example, but could not do the same in other computers. If I'm correct, drive letters are assigned on boot up, and they follow a criteria for being assigned, like first SATA, then IDE and finally external ones.

But I'll love to be proved wrong, better for you :)

anjan_oleti:
I would like to assign letters from Z,Y,X... backwards to my removable drives to eliminate/minimize the possibility of conflict  :)

Darwin:
Well, you can do that via the USB drive letter manager, but it wouldn't follow you from computer to computer - only work on the computer it is installed and configured on...

f0dder:
Yeah, there really isn't any way to assign them automatically on other computers. Software designed to run on portable devices (and heck, just about any other software as well) shouldn't use hardcoded paths.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version