topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Personal Movie Organizers - A quick rundown  (Read 37285 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Personal Movie Organizers - A quick rundown
« on: October 14, 2007, 03:52 AM »
I've tried over 15 different movie database/organizer programs in the last four days in my quest for finding the best suited for my needs. I was surprised by the sheer number of programs available in this category.

I've narrowed down my choice to five six, no doubt there are other good programs in this category, some of which have been mentioned in this thread.

Four Five of the programs I've picked deserve a mention coz they're worth trying out once at the very least and may suit you best, depending on your requirements.
The fifth sixth, which I think is the winner, I've covered in a little more detail.

Special mentions in no particular order:

Ant Movie Catalog (Freeware)
http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog
Open architecture, very flexible, support for scripts - tons of import scripts available.

Catvids (shareware $ 39.95 - fully functional trial available)
http://www.fnprg.com/catvids/
An overall well designed program with a strong set of features & a well designed & configurable interface. Really fast IMDB updates!

Movie Label 2008 (shareware $ 49.95 - fully functional trial available)
http://www.codeaero.com/movie-label/
Has the most features of any program in this category.
Definite overkill for those who don't want a very complex set of features + interface. Very likely overkill even for those who do want tons of features ;)
Office 2007 interface - the love it or hate it factor applies.

Eric's Movie Database [EMDB] (freeware) - [Nighted's review]
www.emdb.tk
The best looking program of the bunch - a few insignificant bugs but I never lost my data to it even after extensive use (adding 100+ movies).
Only supports IMDB for online importing, very quick.
Only imports thumbnail sized covers.
Lacking certain functionality that almost every other program in this category has.
A very good choice if you want to quickly catalog your movies without too much fuss into an attractive looking app.
Sole developer + No open architecture reg. plugins, read:  if the development stops & the IMDB functionality breaks, you're screwed and will be forced to move your data to another organizer (which is possible thanks to .csv export functionality, but a pain all the same)

Movie Collector (shareware - Standard $24.95, Pro $39.95 - fully functional trial available)
http://www.collectorz.com/movie/
A full featured, polished app and a popular favorite (read the next few posts in this thread for more info)

My Pick!
Personal Video Database (freeware)
http://www.videodb.info/index.html

PVD2.jpgPersonal Movie Organizers - A quick rundown

What's to like:

- Sole developer but open architecture - Has an SDK and plugin functionality, which means you won't be stranded even if the main  app's developement stops.

- Fast IMDB import, includes every major field IF the user wants

- Three views, grid, normal (flat list at the side with detailed info on the right), and tree. The tree view lets you configure its nodes and sub-nodes, for example you could have a main node for year of release and a sub-node under that for country and a sub-node under that for genre and yet another sub-node for the first alphabet of the title. There doesn't seem to be any limit to the number of sub-nodes and there are 20 fields to pick from so you can see just how powerful a categorization you can have.

- The database includes a section for people, you can retrieve info for selected cast/crew from online sites, most other programs do not support this.

- Preview and import (approx dvd case sized) posters and covers from several sites.

- Imports from Excel - you can map the fields and the import order in the plug-in preferences, so the app can import data from pretty much any app that supports .csv export.

- Threaded app - you can work on something even while it's busy online, retrieving data.

- Support for adding custom genres - even whole new custom fields.

- Links to physical files, lets you play the movie from within the program as long as it's on HDD or the correct media is inserted. Intelligently disables the play option if the link is inactive.

- Customizable interface, every significant field can be shown or hidden. Fields like cast that can get rather large and occupy a lot of space can be configured to collapse inline. Layout colors can be customized.

- Statistics (bar graph views) based on several categories

- Amazing Ajax search  :Thmbsup: : This is possibly one of the programs best features, there's a search box in the main window, and you can search not just titles but _anything_ - directors, cast, year, description, personal comments, rating, you name it and it's there! Just use the dropdown menu to select the field you want to search and start typing and it immediately narrows down the movies listed to match the criteria. This feature is simply fabulous and no other program comes close. If that's not enough, there's also an Advance Search which lets you specifying more than one field to further narrow down the results. 

- The program is being actively developed and the author interacts in the support forums.

5 stars - a total winner! I'd recommend it even to people who haven't bothered archiving their movie collections yet.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 06:30 AM by nosh »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Personal Movie Organizers - A quick rundown
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 04:54 AM »
Right now, I am using Collectorz.com Movie collector. I've owned it for over 3 years now and have been very happy with it. However, I am contemplating swapping to DVD Profiler. It has far more features. The main difference is that DVD Profiler relies on a pre-built database of movies while collectorz relies on downloading from alternate sources (imdb, dvd empire, etc). Collectorz has just started a database of their own, however, it is not fully mature.

I suggest you try out both. DVD Profiler is really catching my eye now, however, collectorz products might suite your needs well as well. I cant complain about Collectorz, I just havent seen many new "jaw dropping" features added since v3.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 05:05 AM by Josh »

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 04:58 AM »
Interesting post Nosh. I'm curious why Movie Collector didn't make the grade. After getting the input of others, I tried it as well as some others and started using it.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 05:03 AM »
I use Movie Collector, too, and I'm very happy with it! At least after they added a few of my most wanted features (Multi-disc support and movie tagging). The database, as Josh said, is probably nowhere near what DVD Profiler has got, but it certainly grows all the time. Collectorz.com are also working on an online facility รก la Profiler, where you can show everyone your DVD collection.

My first dvd collection software, was DVD Collector which unfortunately was suddenly abandoned :( The latest beta was soo nice, and if development was started again, I'd switch in a second. :-*

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:15 AM »
OK, lots of Movie Collector fans here! :)

I wish I could say for certain Ken, I've tried so many of these programs I'm a little hazy. I downloaded it right now and gave it another whirl and it does seem to be a very accomplished application. Perhaps I found it a bit slow and elaborate while fetching data the first time I tried it (I know I did, coz I started by trying every app listed in that thread) but after disabling a couple of online sources right now, the update procedure is quick and polished. You're obviously in capable hands.  ;) I'll be running it side-by-side for a few days before I decide which way to go. Am updating my original post shortly.

The price difference aside, here's a couple of points (and some questions) to be considered while comparing the two apps:

Can I show a few significant details in the 'Images' view? One row per movie, starting with the thumbnail column and followed by other columns of my choosing? The pure images view along with the title is attractive but not as helpful. I may want to see the directors or ratings for several movies side-by side.

The multi-node layout of PVD can be a huge plus if you like to categorize movies that way. I'm guessing this isn't possible with MC.

MC is not far from the search as you type feature but there is a certain (albeit tiny) convenience + coolness factor about it esp. when you consider typos. I like the MC search too though, it's better than the other apps I tried. It also lets you search all fields simultaneously, which PVD doesn't let you do.

PVD has inline editing (in grid mode), just double click on any visible text field and it turns into an edit box.

Barcodes for DVDs (am not sure where PVD stands on this issue, I don't want to assume there's a plugin available) & TWAIN are obvious plus points in MC's favour. As is the fact that (I'm guessing) it's not developed by a sole developer.

PVD on the other hand has an SDK which is always a good thing. Once again, I'm not sure where MC stands on this issue.

Perhaps you guys can tell me a few genuinely useful things that MC can do that PVD can't.

In any case, this is one software category where there are lots of great apps to choose from. Here's to the movies! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 06:37 AM by nosh »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 06:44 AM »
Have to say that PVD certainly looks like a great piece of free DVD collection app! Have to check it out myself ;)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 06:44 AM »
I use Collectorz MDB and just tried PVD.

I like the speed and ease of use of PVD - but the web database support seems a bit limited. Granted I have only input a handful of films but in CMDB I could find the exact box images of my DVDs quite quickly and easily - in PVD I couldn't find them at all (they were obviously US Region 1 covers not the ones issued in Region 2). That would mean very slow input as covers would have to be scanned - and without integrated scanning it makes it even slower.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 08:31 AM »
On a different note, DVD Profiler is a $29 one time purchase. All future upgrades are included. On the other hand, Movie Collector is $39 for the current version with an upgrade cost for each major release. I know that money isn't an issue for any of us, but the shallow person in me compelled me to note this.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 09:43 PM »
I have been using Ant Movie Catalog for at least a year.  I have the DB it creates written to a system backup folder in My Documents, which I have on a separate, non-arrayed HDD, so that when I do a clean install, I can just point Windows to it and boom, nothing lost.

I need to say, it's the best and easiest to use I have found.  Not only does it have dozens of sources to get movie information from, but the scripts are kept up to date with changes to each of the sites they draw data from.  The reports are incredible and extremely customizable.  This is definitely one of the best free programs I have ever seen.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:23 PM »
A very, very late post to this thread, but I just started looking seriously for a DVD collection program.  While looking at Movie Collector, and also reading about all of the angst among users over their sudden change in upgrade policy.  Despite the upgrade thing, it does appear that many DCers are still using MC and speaking well of the program itself - if not the developers.

One disavantage:  No discount here at DC.   :o  :(

So I decided to look around for one elsewhere, and lo and behold:  There is an $8.00 discount for users of ListPro by Iliumsoft.  I have used ListPro on a Pocket PC and desktop PC for years and never new about it.  The page, hidden away on the collectorz.com site - the only way I found it was through a link on the Iliumsoft web site - is here:

http://www.collectorz.com/listpro_offer.php

And the referring page at Iliumsoft is here on their support site:

http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/lp/lp_suptp1.php#qcolz

Not a windfall, but hey! $8 is $8 last I checked!!  And actually that is 20% off one Pro version of any product there.

I was using DVD Attache, a free app from a private developer which is very nice, but limited.  His website is currently down, though it appears that he has obtained a new domain - www.dvdattache.com - and it is not up yet.  Also, ominously, he has not replied to any of my recent emails.  I'm an early donater to him and had become friendly with him; he usually responds immediately, so perhaps something is wrong there.

Anyway, this has prompted me to seek out another DVD database program.  Looking like Movie Collector right now.  :)

Jim

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 05:29 PM »
Since you've bumped the thread, I'd just like to say that Personal Video Database has been upgraded some time back and is even better than before. The biggest improvement made was to the search, which was already very strong.

I've got well over 400 movies entered into the database now (it was 100+ movies when I reviewed it) and the program is as responsive as ever. I found the Collectorz interface more polished & comprehensive but much slower in comparison when I tried their latest version (very briefly) a couple of weeks back - I'm referring to the movie edit box in particular which took ages to load. 

I've also started using the People category in PVD (see screenshots), this is a feature most movie database programs lack. It doesn't have barcode scanning so that may be a deal breaker for some of you.

Screenshots:

The People section has three views just like the Movies section.
People Section: Grid view (narrowing down the people shown based on search criteria, in this case, a movie name. The columns are customizable.)
people grid view.jpgPersonal Movie Organizers - A quick rundown

People Section: Plain view (the search is still filtered on movie name, notice the web search box [top, right].  The websites are completely customizable, for instance Rotten Tomatoes has been added by me.)
people plain view.jpgPersonal Movie Organizers - A quick rundown

I use PVD almost daily and it has _never_ crashed on me. It's still far from being a 100% polished app but if barcode scanning is not a priority it's definitely worth a shot. I've been making a list of possible bugs & suggestions but haven't found the time to compile it all and get in touch with the author, hopefully soon.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:52 PM by nosh »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 01:37 AM »
thanks Nosh.

I already did go ahead and purchase Movie Collector 5 by Collectorz.com, but I also downloaded Personal Video Database and will load that up at the same time.  Can't hurt to have a couple databases with my stuff in it!

I fully agree with you, BTW, about MC5's slowness in several areas.  I have also already seen a number of UI goofs (IMO) that could stand significant improvement in MC5, but generally it is a very nice, polished application.  I'll post back and let you know how I like PVD when I get a chance to run it through its paces.

Thanks again!

Jim

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 06:07 AM »
I have owned DVD Profiler for some time now, its nice, but not very customizable outside the realm of DVD movies.  But if it isn't as you like it, you will have a hard time ever getting a request fullfilled for a feature addition.  All the people that have been around the program & the forums for some time tend to quash all nice newer ideas I have seen requested.

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 04:50 PM »
I tried these programs and still haven't found one which will meet my simple needs. I have a disk full of all my movies ripped to disk. I want a program that will -

1. import all movies from a folder (about 200 movies), not make me enter the name/dvd codes

2. get the poster from imdb

3. show me all the movie posters like I browse photos - in a nice grid with their names.

4. When I double click launch the movie

5. Organize based on genre/year etc.

Is this so hard?

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 05:27 PM »
I generally store smaller video clips on the hard disk & use Thumbsplus to keep track of them. It auto-generates thumbnails or lets you assign a specific frame as a thumbnail, not really suited for movies but ideal for other video files.

In what way does Movie Label 2008 fall short? I tried these quite some time back and don't remember the details.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 05:33 PM by nosh »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 12:53 AM »
I tried these programs and still haven't found one which will meet my simple needs. I have a disk full of all my movies ripped to disk. I want a program that will -

1. import all movies from a folder (about 200 movies), not make me enter the name/dvd codes

Darn!  I know from experience that ripping a DVD movie results in quite large files!  If you then transcode and burn them to a blank DVD you are basically squeezing it onto a DVD5 disk.  So just for the sake of calculations, say they are as small as 5 GB each X 200 - at least 1 TB! That's some folder!!

Rather than a folder containing VOB's, I am guessing that you are ripping them to .avi format?

Is this so hard?

Well, no....

IF you have all of the following:

1)  Large enough completely empty hard disk - at least 1 TB.

2)  Software to rip DVDs

3)  Lots and lots of time on your hands!

Personally, I burn 'em to DVD5's and have the ripped files auto-deleted after burning!

Yet still, this does not give people what they are looking for in the way of a "Movie Collector" program. They just want to inventory - in great detail - all DVD titles they own, along with the artwork, credits info - i.e., director, cast, etc. With a nice UI for input of the DVD's and generous reporting/exporting features for the data.

at least that's what I was seeking, and I believe the same is true for others.  Of course I might be way off here.

Thanks!

Jim

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 05:35 PM »
Darn!  I know from experience that ripping a DVD movie results in quite large files!  If you then transcode and burn them to a blank DVD you are basically squeezing it onto a DVD5 disk.  So just for the sake of calculations, say they are as small as 5 GB each X 200 - at least 1 TB! That's some folder!!

Well, he said he already had a hard drive full of movies, so that problem is solved.  ;)
And I really DO understand why one would do that : havind 200 DVDs lying around is not as sexy as having 200 DVDs perfectly piled and sorted in a HD. Of course, there's always the chance of HD crash. But then -- of course -- you have all your dvd's in a box somewhere, and -- of course, ahem --  a 2nd 1tb HD for backups hiding somwhere.  ;)

Ripping a DVD is not that time consuming (but burning them to DVD5 can be...). Just don't do the 200 in the same day.

(BTW 1tb HDs are not as expensive as they used to be : after Christmas, I've seen some for less than 250$. And 200 DVD RW would probably cost more than 80$... So for a 3x the price HD you get a much flexible, convenient, speedy, portable, etc., medium instead of a pile of 200 DVDs... Stuff to think about... If you have 250$ lying around, of course, and if you don't mind breaking some copyrights...!)

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 08:22 PM »
All the movies are ripped to avi/xvid. I'm in the process of re-ripping some of the better movies with x264.

They are all on an external 500gb hard disk with plenty space left over. I also store my music collection on it, its basically all the media I own on a portable disk which I can take over to friends house and provide endless entertainment :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 11:52 PM »
Wow - small avi's!  That's cool.  What do you rip them with?  Does it (whatever you use) auto-remove director comments, titles, FBI warnings, etc.? Some do that OK, and some do not. None seem to do it consistently well that I have seen.  I generally rip using AnyDVD, and if I burn them, I use a few depending on just what I am doing. Predominantly CloneDVD2 though.

Jim

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 02:49 AM »
I ripped most of them with dvdshrink (which is dead now) and have tried some other programs such as Nero as well. Yes, I always remove all the useless warnings etc even when burning to a dvd. With avi rips, menus/chapters etc don't apply but for making dvd copies I will only keep 5.1 audio, english subtitles and remove most of the extras (s0 that video quality will not suffer).  There are a number of programs that do this such as AutoGK, Handbrake, Dr.Divx etc and I really don't see the need to pay for this, although when you search for dvd rip the links are all shareware. I sue the guides on doom9.org and videohelp.com.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 03:29 AM »
I purchased AnyDVD and CloneDVD years ago - lifetime licenses.  And the main reason I use them pretty often is that for copying DVDs, they are about completely self-running.  Now authoring my own DVDs, I use a number of applications - any and all that will make the cuts, blends, menus, transitions, etc. smoother and nicer looking.  But for pure copying, it's so repetitive that I don't want to spend any time at all in setup; those two just do it. Simple as that.

Jim

downe

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 01:20 PM »
All my movies is very good software. It has big covers and movie screenshots. Only lack - gets poorly information about movie, from imdb.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 07:35 PM »
DVDFab Platinum is pretty good and completely automatic transfer of DVD5 to DVD5, DVD9 to DVD9 and DVD9 to DVD5.

You just put the disc in, put a blank disc in a second drive and click GO. Then go and have a cup of tea.

It will also produce standard Video_TS folders on the hard disc or ISO files ready to burn.

On top of that you can split DVD9 between two DVD5s (keeping menus etc), just copy the main title etc. Also you can encode DVD content for use in a range of MP3-type players (including iPod and Zune as well as generic formats).

OK it isn't free but it is very simple to use!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:43 PM by Carol Haynes »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Sounds similar to CloneDVD.  Except I can stop and configure which sound tracks I want, or titles to remove, etc. Then I can save it to my hard drive, if I choose, as an avi or Video_TS. AnyDVD just decrypts it on the fly, and streams it to CloneDVD as it transcodes it.  All invisible to me. AnyDVD strips the keys out and passes it to whatever burner software you use.

It's just too easy to use it for me to instead use a free copy program. Plus, I bought years ago when it was very inexpensive (not that it's that high now), and it is a lifetime license. They have remained true to that so far.

Jim

maxic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 07:11 AM »
Why nobody mentioned All My Movies?
Am I alone with All My Movies here?