ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ASUS bring out motherboard with built in Linux and Firefox - 15s boot time!

<< < (3/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I presume Konqueror needs KDE to work though as it is integrated heavily into KDE.

Never head of Epiphany so I can't really comment, but if it is based on Gecko isn't it based on the same code base as Firefox?

Lashiec:
Somewhat. The rendering engine is the same, but the rest of the code seems to be significantly different. After all, Galeon (the browser from which Epiphany was forked) was the first browser that tried to be just 'a browser'. Of course, much happened since then.

Carol Haynes:
OK - just looked up Epiphany/Galeon on Google. Epiphany seems to depend on Gnome - which again would be a good reason for ASUS not to use it without the full Gnome desktop present.

Edvard:
Man, this is what the LinuxBIOS folks have been drooling about for a while now, I wonder if they had a hand in it or if ASUS were inspired by them...

BTW- Looks like that project has come a long way- look at all the mobo's supported:
http://linuxbios.org/index.php/News

iphigenie:
I meant I understand getting the base OS and kernel "hard coded" into a chip, and it will speed up booting
and protect the OS from tampering.

But firefox (which has had as many security issues as ie this year!) or other applications just dont belong on such a thing, as they will change more often. And everytime you have to update the chip bios.

I can see it as a huge advantage to be able to put the core of your OS on your board and keep it safe and efficient. I can see it as a problem to have anything beyond that, as it kind of invalidates the benefits of the os-on-a-chip option.

I don't want my motherboard maker to make my applications choices, either

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version