ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ASUS bring out motherboard with built in Linux and Firefox - 15s boot time!

<< < (2/5) > >>

iphigenie:
linux i understand, but why firefox?

Carol Haynes:
Why not - it is open source and non-proprietary ... what would you suggest? The version on that ASUS board is a modified version of Firefox. Remember - it has to be available on Linux and presumably it isn't running in a normal GUI such as KDE or Gnome.

f0dder:
Why anything else but firefox?

It's a slow and bloated pig, but at least it has less (and less severe) security problems than IE, and renders things well.

Carol Haynes:
No what I mean is what is the alternative - apart from a bespoke browser? Remember it is running under Linux without the benefit of KDE/Gnome (as far as i can tell) - so what else is available that can be freely modified to do the job and not incur licensing costs?

Lashiec:
Is the Skype Linux client open source? If it's not, any browser available for Linux can do the job, including Opera :D

If a open source browser is needed, you can either choose Epiphany (Gecko) or Konqueror (KHTML). Those are the best alternatives in my opinion. I wonder what toolkit is being used in SplashTop, the shots scream GTK, but could be they developed their own?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version