topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IM & online file host combination?  (Read 5551 times)

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IM & online file host combination?
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:01 PM »
The fields of IM (instant messaging) and online file hosting seems to be buzzing with activity and new developments. I'd like to hear if there currently are any interesting ways to combine them.  :tellme:

IM (instant messaging) is in itself often sufficient for sending files when both sender and recipient are online. But it would sometimes be useful to through the IM window initiate sending of files not to a contact's local computer but rather to some online hosted drop spot that the user has. Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

User A has user B in his IM contact list. B is currently offline. A drags and drops file X on B's name in the IM window. The file is then sent to a private drop spot online somewhere. When B logs on, he has a message saying X has been added to his private drop spot. B can click to download the file X to his local computer, or delete it or keep it in the drop spot.

With "private drop spot" I mean that only B can see and edit it and download from it. Others, maybe just approved others, can only upload to it. http://drop.io/ seems to be in the vicinity of what I have in mind for the online hosting part.

Possible extra feature that would be good: encryption through PGP (or some alternative) so that A's IM client encrypts the file utilizing B's public key before the file is uploaded to B's drop spot (as an extra privacy measure vs the online file host).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:05 PM by Nod5 »

jazper

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Jazper's Software
    • Donate to Member
Re: IM & online file host combination?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:23 PM »
I really like Windows Live Messengers Share folder idea, I can't name the number of times that has been a life saver just in convenience for me.  But overall this is a pretty good idea. Being able to quickly send files to contacts on other IM's has always been kind of a pain , especially if they are offlien as you said.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 07:36 PM »
hi jazper,
I didn't know about Share Folder in Messenger at all since I've actually never used Messenger so thanks for the info. This is what wikipedia says ( http://en.wikipedia....nger#Sharing_folders ) :
The Sharing Folder feature of Windows Live Messenger is an alternative to the "direct transfer" method of file distribution. When a user wants to deliver a file to another person on his or her contact list, the "sharing folder" window appears, which is an individualized representation of all previously shared items.

When files are added to the "sharing folder" for that particular person, the file will automatically be transferred to the corresponding computer when they are online. This means that the folder is literally "shared" between two computers. If a user deletes a file, for example, the file will also be deleted from the corresponding computer's shared folder.
Just to be sure, is this correct: when sending to an offline contact through this Share Folder functionality, nothing is sent to a third party (like a microsoft server). Instead, my local Messenger client puts sending the file on its todo list and later when the contact gets online, and the senders computer is still online, Messenger transfers the file automatically.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:56 PM »
I've never used teh sharing folder, so I wasn't going to mention that, but if both of you use windows live messenger, then you can upload your files to that drop.io site, and then put the link in an offline message that the other person will get when they login to msn.
[Insert really cool signature here]

jazper

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Jazper's Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Just to be sure, is this correct: when sending to an offline contact through this Share Folder functionality, nothing is sent to a third party (like a microsoft server). Instead, my local Messenger client puts sending the file on its todo list and later when the contact gets online, and the senders computer is still online, Messenger transfers the file automatically.

This is correct, the file is not sent to a third party, when the other party comes online, it "synchronizes" any files that you placed in the sharing folder. 

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 11:33 AM »
jazper: thanks for confirming that.
nite_monkey: Yes, that would work for all IM systems that support offline messaging. ICQ also supports that. But I'd prefer some automatic solution.

Thinking some more about this, an automatic solution need at least these features:
1. IM system with support for offline messaging
2. IM system with support for plugins that can react to drag and drop of files
3. file host that supports "private drop spots" (password required to edit and download, but not to upload)
4. file host that support access to (uploading and downloading) private dropspots through external scripts or programs.

and as a bonus feature:
5. PGP encryption tool for encrypting/decrypting files before/after upload/download.

1, 2 & 5 seems to be available. I'm more unsure about 3 & 4.