ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Best way to start learning C++?

<< < (5/10) > >>

f0dder:
Dunno if MFC can be used with other compilers than Microsoft, btw, and I'm not sure about WTL/ATL either (but at least there you get the full source, so you aren't screwed wrt. license and no-source libraries).

So... learn the language without focusing too much on GUIs, then consider if you want vendor lock-in or a bit more complication and even more code bloat, but portable apps with a 3rd-party widget toolkit. Yeah, I know, clicking buttons is more fun and more awarding than the console, but you learn more the other way.

I also do agree that once you're beyond the basics + a bit more, you need to work on a project the interests you.

superboyac:
Buy a book.
-mouser (October 11, 2007, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which book shall I get?  I'm trying to learn C++ in the way they use it at financial institutions for statistics and analysis.  I'm trying to get into a master's program and knowing C++ would help, so that's the application for me.  It's called finance engineering.  I'm not sure if you guys know how they use C++.  I'll try to find out more about it and post later, but if you have any ideas, please let me know.

tinjaw:
superboyac,

The world of financial software isn't dominated by any particular language. The low-level control C++ provides is not a requirement like it is for 3D games. Much of it is also written in Java. However, that also means that you don't need to learn anything special or do anything differently. A standard course of study in C++ should suit you just fine. Just don't get distracted by flashy graphics or physics, etc. Just learn solid programming skills.

superboyac:
superboyac,

The world of financial software isn't dominated by any particular language. The low-level control C++ provides is not a requirement like it is for 3D games. Much of it is also written in Java. However, that also means that you don't need to learn anything special or do anything differently. A standard course of study in C++ should suit you just fine. Just don't get distracted by flashy graphics or physics, etc. Just learn solid programming skills.
-tinjaw (December 28, 2007, 08:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, just to clarify, I just want to familiarize with the language.  I'm not trying to actually do any functional programming.  I just don't want to be rejected from the program because a lack of programming skills.  Most people in the field say it's best to know the C++ language in general.

nosh:
I learnt C reading Herb Schildt's "Turbo C/C++ - The complete reference" and loved every minute of it. I know he gets slammed badly in a lot of programming circles and I really don't know how much sense it makes to fire up a 16 bit compiler to learn programming today... so yeah, I'm absolutely no help. :)
But Schildt was a really good read, fun to go through - can't say that for most other programming books I've [attempted to] read.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version