ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Best way to start learning C++?

<< < (2/10) > >>

tinjaw:
I feel the need to add that regardless of which method you choose to learn, start work on a project that *you want to build*. The project will motivate you to learn without making it feel like you are learning. Just learning to learn, is sometimes hard. Practice exercises aren't always interesting. If you have a pet project you will want to work on it and the learning will come naturally.

Ehtyar:
As are the new borland turbo products. I apologize I don't know what I was thinking. I am uncertain what the license of visual sudio express is like, but i would recommend borland only a hair above MingW due to the apparently lack of....well....anything from borland in regards to upgrades/support/standards compliance/code generation. I would highly recommend visual studio however (or at least the compiler) as it kicks he pants off of EVERYTHING else with features, code generation and standards compliance (i know, sounds rediculous right?).

Ehtyar.

Ehtyar:
I feel the need to add that regardless of which method you choose to learn, start work on a project that *you want to build*. The project will motivate you to learn without making it feel like you are learning. Just learning to learn, is sometimes hard. Practice exercises aren't always interesting. If you have a pet project you will want to work on it and the learning will come naturally.
-tinjaw (October 11, 2007, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Took my first piece of advice right out of my mouth, and i could not have said it better, nor could i emphasize tin man's point more. This is how most people learn to code, because your motivation tends to push you just that bit further than you would ordinarily bother, which is usually all you need. Best piece of advice for any budding software developer.

Ehtyar.

mouser:
Buy a book.

Ehtyar:
There is nothing i can say to that..... :P

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version