ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Best way to start learning C++?

(1/10) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Hello all,

Trying to get a basic understanding of the C++ (or C in general) programming language, and have read a couple tuts, but I am kinda lost. Does anyone have any tips on getting a basic "program" made, or links to tutorials that might be helpful? I can already make extremely basic "programs" but I am looking for a more solidified basis to work with before getting into (anything) complicated.

Ideas? Help? Links? :read:
-Brandon

Ehtyar:
I suppose my first question is what kind of C++ do you wish to learn (winapi, linux api, stdlib etc). Also which compiler are you using, and also how high level do you want to go (api only, classes, frameworks like mfc, .net, wx etc)? Also, do you learn best by example or by reading?

Ehtyar.

wreckedcarzz:
Windows (Linux/Unix in the future possibly) and I am using the Dev-C++ compiler, and most likely .NET due to it being (as I have heard) the easiest to work with.

A little reading, a little off-on-my-own, a little reading to fix the 5 problems :P is how I learn.

Ehtyar:
OK first you'll need to decide how much you want to leave yourself open to linux/unix in the future as this will significantly effect the way you code and what you use to do it. Secondly, Dev-C++ is not a compiler, but an IDE (a common mistake don't worry :)) which happens to come with the MingW Compiler. MingW I'm afraid is not capable of supporting .net, but from the way you spoke about .net in your post, I'm assuming you meant you would code in a dedicated .net languages as opposed to C++.net (please confirm either way). I am personally not a fan of MingW for various reasons, but this is as far as i will go in mentioning it, as there is next to no free alternative unless you're happy in plain C. This should about do it for answering questions, and we should be able to start pointing you to places now.

Ehtyar.

Deozaan:
as there is next to no free alternative
-Ehtyar (October 11, 2007, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

What about Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express? That's free. It's C++.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version