topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The worst thing about Macs  (Read 61825 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The worst thing about Macs
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Jason Cross at ExtremeTech has posted a piece on what he likes least about Macs - the Mac faithful. Quite an interesting read - I found myself recognizing people and their behaviour in what he was describing.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: The worst thing about Macs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 10:56 PM »
But honestly, the thing I hate most about using a Mac are the Apple fans.

AMEN!

(Still reading...)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:01 PM »
To all you Mac users that are calm, rational, objective, and fair: god bless you. Now, could you please give the Cult members a hard kick in the ass? They're making you look bad.

AMEN AGAIN!

Anytime I'm talking to someone and hear that they use a Mac I just cringe and hope that I'm not talking to yet another Apple fundamentalist Jihad psycho.

Of course the same thing can be said about Linux... <ducks quickly /> ;)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:06 AM »
Anytime I'm talking to someone and hear that they use a Mac I just cringe and hope that I'm not talking to yet another Apple fundamentalist Jihad psycho.

Ha, ha, I know exactly what you mean.

empyrean

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:13 AM »
Are not Windows partisans just as bad?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 12:45 AM »

Of course, but my perception is that they are, if not outnumbered, certainly out yelled...

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 03:30 AM »
I'm normally not a religious person, but amen to all of the above :)

Ehtyar.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 07:26 AM »
Pretty interesting page : http://www.thebestpa...et/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

I especially like 1.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 07:42 AM »

IME most Windows users either don't care or outright criticise MS.

The trouble with Apple fans is that they like the way the box looks - they really don't care what is inside.

A friend of mine is an Apple fan ... and guess who gets to do the troubleshooting - yes there is some to do. For a start she didn't realise that her oldish iMac only had 256Mb of RAM - it will support 1Gb but to expand to full size it has to be sent back as there is only room for a single sick of RAM for user installation, maxing out at 512Mb. Add to that her external hardware keeps having issues - particularly her external drive (no room in the box for an extra internal drive, and no option for user upgrade anyway) which keeps not connecting via Firewire. It is an IOMEGA drive which is preformatted for the Mac - so far she has got through 2 of them in less than 6 months.

She recently wanted to get a laptop for a friend who wants to browse the web, send emails and type a few letters. She was trying to convince him that the best (and probably only option worth considering) is a iBook. I pointed out to her that you can get  twice the hardware specification for a third of the price - not that it will do any good. A computers no good if it doesn't come preinstalled with iTunes and iPhoto !!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 07:46 AM »
Pretty interesting page : http://www.thebestpa...et/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

I especially like 1.

struggling with windows problems at the moment it is reassuring to  know they have theirs
he's really got a thing against people who use their hands while talking though, hasn't he  :-\

Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 08:44 AM »
Great article ;)

I love this:

eula.gif

To prove it isn't a joke here is the official iTunes EULA ... http://images.apple..../sla/docs/itunes.pdf

Check out clause 10

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 08:54 AM »
Heh, here's something that cracked me up recently. A real-life heading from OS X troubleshooting article:

"Right-clicking"

And I kid you not.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 09:03 AM »
the worst thing about macs? how about this...

i knew someone that was out to buy a new computer. i said get a pc you'll be able to do more with it and it will be cheaper - i also said to them "if you get a mac i'll never speak to you again". yep, they bought a mac. and yep i don't speak to them anymore. harsh but it's a true story.

also have a relative. needed a machine to do video editing. of course, i recommended a pc. they bought a mac laptop - guess what, it wasn't powerful enough for the job so they are going to have to buy another machine - they are looking for a new mac.

no point trying to give the pros and cons to someone intent on buying a mac - most of them want to be in the mac cult (note i said most and not all).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 09:18 AM »
icekin - thank you for the link (I think). I laughed so hard when I sawy #2 that my five year old kept asking me what was so funny!

Brilliant.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 11:14 AM »
There are worse things...

Hello, I'm a Mac, what are you?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 12:15 PM »
The link to the YouTube video on that page doesn't work. Do you have a direct link?

[Edit: Actually it does work but AdMuncher blocked it because it looks like a load of advertising crap - what was the point of the page - just the image comparisons?]

But how about this one ... http://www.youtube.c...=related&search=
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:24 PM by Carol Haynes »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 02:25 PM »
what was the point of the page - just the image comparisons?
Yes.

Strange, I didn't even notice the video.
Don't worry, it had nothing to do with apple. Just a random tasteless video.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 02:36 PM »
Don't worry, it had nothing to do with apple. Just a random tasteless video.

It was certainly tasteless. At first I thought it was going to be a clever satire of the Mac/PC war (Tostido vs. doughnut) but it proved intsead to be unoriginal, scatalogical, and not funny :down:  stopped watching when the kid with the Tostido was cleaning the toilet with it...

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 04:41 PM »
I'm finally becoming agnostic toward operating systems. At this point, I just want it to run things and leave me alone.

While I personally don't like Vista, it's fine if you run it on a powerhouse system; XP-SP3 will be wonderful by all accounts; Mac, bleh: my mac friends and relatives treat their computers as toys, not tools — they can't wait to get the next new shiny thing Steve Jobs rolls out. Also, if Apple's so great, why do they spend an inordinate amount of time and money telling us how crappy their competition is? Can you imagine going to buy a Mini Cooper and the dealer spending 30 minutes telling you how terrible BMW's are? Finally, I've had a lot of fun in the past year implementing GNU/Linux as my main OS. It runs all but four of my favorite apps from Windows (3 of which I can run under WINE if I choose), and I'm no longer wasting energy being mad at Microsoft 23 hours a day.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 05:08 PM »
Can you imagine going to buy a Mini Cooper and the dealer spending 30 minutes telling you how terrible BMW's are?

Sorry, Zaine, I can't resist: Mini Coopers ARE BMW's! Admittedly, the Mini Cooper S of yesteryear was a Britsh Leyland product (Rule Britannia!), BMW bought out the parent company a few years back...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 05:39 PM »
Finally, I've had a lot of fun in the past year implementing GNU/Linux as my main OS. It runs all but four of my favorite apps from Windows (3 of which I can run under WINE if I choose), and I'm no longer wasting energy being mad at Microsoft 23 hours a day.

It would be fun if you'd share "all" about your Linux implementation details (chosen software, and their windows counterpart, configurations, etc.), the cons and the pros...  :up:

Maybe in another thread though...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 06:56 PM »
Yeah, I'd be all over that, too. Of course, <sob>, I trod on my Linux notebook and created a charming squid ink coloured Jackson Pollock effect on the monitor  >:(  :D Oh well, just have to buy a new one and dual boot my current one... It's only money, right? Please, PLEASE, tell my wife that?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 07:32 PM »
I was going to simply re-post the image I posted the link to rather than go to the ad-filled page there, but I noticed that the "I'm a Sun" girl looked a bit (ahem) "chilly" so decided against it.

To get back on topic, my only real (personal) gripe about Macs is I haven't a clue how to get around the system. Having one menu strip at the top of the screen is probably a good idea, but it is VERY hard to get used to. And calling it the "Finder"? I thought at first it was how you "found" things but, well...
And not knowing what the app is called that does the thing you need to do once you DO find the Mac equivalent of a Start Menu is rather frustrating.
Having been a Windows and Linux user for so long has spoiled me, I guess.

And that damn one-button mouse, I mean what the...?

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 08:29 PM »
At first, I wanted to comment on the anti-Mac sentiments here, but I dont feel like fighting.

But I can't resist on commenting to this:

Sorry, Zaine, I can't resist: Mini Coopers ARE BMW's! Admittedly, the Mini Cooper S of yesteryear was a Britsh Leyland product (Rule Britannia!), BMW bought out the parent company a few years back...

Do you know that here in Germany British Leyland used to be nicknamed "Britisch Elend" (which translates to "British Misery")?
British Leyland (pre-Thatcher era) was a government-controlled, poorly-run, loss-making conglomerate that was restructured (Rover) and bought out by BMW and boy, did they regret that. BMW lost billions over billions in trying to get Rover going, until they divested of everything but the crown jewels. Here in Germany, the acquisition of Rover is known as one of the worst management decisions ever. However, it wasn't enough of a warning sign for Daimler to keep them from acquiring Chrysler, but that's another story.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 08:42 PM »
"Grandpa, what did people fight about when you were growing up?"

"Which computer was best.  Some people liked PCs and others, the Mac.  They argued about it all the time."

"What's a computer?"

"Tell you later, pumpkin.  Now, plug yourself in for dinner and afterwards I'll download you a story..."