ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Have any web-based applications replaced desktop apps for you?

<< < (2/8) > >>

MrCrispy:
Gmail
del.icio.us integrated with Firefox instead of local bookmarks
misc web based calendaring/todolist apps
bloglines/google reader for rss

Offline gmail is coming!

Lashiec:
Only mail. I've never used a mail client in my life, and always relied in web mail. My Yahoo! Mail account has been active for years, and so far never had any problem (save for the occasional spam).

And that's all. I use from time to time some web apps, like the Last.FM player or Google Docs, but they're not replacing audio players and OpenOffice.

zridling:
Crispy makes a good point, and Zoho will soon launch a local version of their client software as Thinkfree already has. Seems the best of both worlds. My biggest gripe with online apps is the most basic one: unless there's a local version installed, then my computer is virtually dead without a connection.

CWuestefeld:
The best internet connection I can get at my house is DSL 512K up/128K down (and I live in NJ, the most densely populated state in the nation). So web-based apps are non-starters for me.

I've lately seen a few photo-editing and even video-editing sites. I can't fathom this, even with a fast connection.

Besides this practical concern, I want to be responsible for my own data. I don't want it in anyone else's hands. I don't have any concrete reason for feeling this way, it's just a gut thing.

Grorgy:
I'm frequently on a dialup connection and when at home I have a satellite connection at 512 and 64.  It is both expensive and limited to the amount of downloads I can make before it reduces to 64 / 64 .  So data transfer and so on does become a bit of an issue and little bits do add up rather fast ive discovered.  So until that improves on line apps are not really an option

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version