topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The day before the day we've all been waiting for...OLLYDBG 2.0 ALPHA IS OUT!!!  (Read 18044 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ladies and gentlemen, the day before the day we have all been waiting for has finally upon finally arrived. I am most excited (no, seriously, mouser is worried about the state of my mental health, scan man and i were hugging for an unnatural length of time and my girl suggested i would be less excited if she moved to my country) to announce that OllyDbg 2.0 has been released in alpha form.
It's true, it's incredible but true, Oleh Yuschuk has finally brought the dream of many-a-freeware-developer into reality in the form of the next version of everyones favorite debugger. You can find all the  information here and you can download it HERE!!!!!!!!!.
The child is big enough to show it to the public, so download this and have a look. Is this version functional? Yes. Is it better than 1.10? Definitely not. Is it better than v1.00? In some aspects - maybe, but in general - no. Can you use it for debugging? Yes, but you will miss many, many features... So please don't be too critical and send me no emails - this version is not even a full-featured alpha, and will change dramatically in the next several weeks or monthes. But in the case that OllyDbg will crash and generate errorlog.txt, be kind and do send me this file - I will need it for debugging. And now - enjoy!
-Oleh Yuschuk
And just for the wonderfully sexy people here on donationcoder.com, here is a little something i prepared earlier.
2007-10-11_083455.pngThe day before the day we've all been waiting for...OLLYDBG 2.0 ALPHA IS OUT!!!
2007-10-11_093028.pngThe day before the day we've all been waiting for...OLLYDBG 2.0 ALPHA IS OUT!!!
2007-10-11_093820.pngThe day before the day we've all been waiting for...OLLYDBG 2.0 ALPHA IS OUT!!!
2007-10-11_094132.pngThe day before the day we've all been waiting for...OLLYDBG 2.0 ALPHA IS OUT!!!
Ups:
- all the features you'd expect in any old debugger are there and then some in true olly fashion
- markedly improved hex dump
- very impressive options dialog
- cleaner UI
- impressive color manager (doesn't appear to work yet)
Downs (keep in mind this is an alpha from the ground up):
- many missing features
- some UI bugs
- does not yet support DLLs
- UDDs are enormous (is being worked on)

Please everyone keep in mind i did this little review in about 10 minutes, so it is by no means comprehensive. I'll leave that up to people who do a more extensive amount of debugging than I.

Ehtyar.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 07:23 PM by Ehtyar »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: The day before the day we've all been waiting for.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:09 PM »
It's quite amazing that he has released a usable version 2, i know a LOT of people have been waiting for years and it's nothing short of miraculous that he managed to stick with the project.

I do think this statement is worth reading though, since it tells you that you should probably stick with version 1 for a while, and this release is just a preview:

Is this version functional? Yes. Is it better than 1.10? Definitely not.

ps.
Ehtyar -- can you update your topic maybe to be more explicit about what the post is about (i.e. Ollydbg v2 preview release) -- that way people will know to read the post when they see it and better find it in searches, etc.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Drumroll please...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:16 PM »
I'm not very fond of the new options dialog, but the rest of it looks impressive.
Let's wait a bit more :-]
*Drumroll please...*

ssb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh my..
My favorite debugger, my #1 tool finally got updated ! :) For months I was wondering if OllyDbg was dead, similarly to so many other applications.

Many features still missing, it's unstable and crash every while but it's alive.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
- carpe noctem

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cool!  :Thmbsup:

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Now it will be another 4 years before the beta comes out...

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now it will be another 4 years before the beta comes out...
I'm sure Oleh wouldn't mind some competition, lets see how fast you can do it!

Ehtyar.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Who said I could do it or would want to?

argv

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very good news :) Hoping the plugins will stay compatible

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com