ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Replace Windows XP's Icons

<< < (2/3) > >>

Darwin:
Interesting, I was unaware that Microangelo handled icon replacement (thought it was simply an editor). It fared well in Carrol's (Hamradio) Icon Tool Shootout and would definitely be worth a look. The attraction of Stardock's Object Desktop is that it really is ridiculously cheap (though be warned that you're on a yearly subscription treadmill - $34.95 a year, though I renewed recently for $20 or something - they had a special on) and handles everything you can imagine in terms of modding Windows.

J-Mac:
I've been using Stardock's Icon Packager for a few years now. It is very simple and yet works very well.

Darwin, even if your subscription expires you can continue to use IconPackager, but just the last version you installed. You can no longer get updates/upgrades without either purchasing the program outright ($14.95) or re-subscribing. But you can continue to use the version that was current at the time your Object Desktop expired. Hopefully you archived them via Stardock Central. However if you did not, just contact Stardock directly and they will provide you with an archive package of all the applications to which you were entitled at the time of the subscription expiration.

My subscription expired just this month after about 5 or 6 years. I just had too many issues, mostly with WindowBlinds v.5 either significantly slowing down my PC or having conflicts with other applications. (Stardock claimed it was not WindowBlinds causing conflict issues but every time I removed it all problems disappeared). I tested it throughout its beta period and as far as I am concerned they never did get all the kinks out of it. And once they started preparing for Microsoft Vista they seemed to abandon all other issues that needed work. (I've noticed that many developers did the same!)

Plus there was no special offer to resubscribe this time. $34.95 was what they offered, which I felt was a bit high for a fairly longtime user. So I dumped it. But I still use IconPackager and a few others.

Jim

Darwin:
Hi Jim - yes, I was aware that you can keep the last version that was released within your subscription beyond the end of your subscription (I should have mentioned that!). My main beef with Stardock is that there is no mechanism to simply download the installers and archive them; you have to use Stardock Central, which is actually fairly convenient but represents a software installation that to my mind is unnecessary. Anyway, I'm not planning on renewing, either. Like you, I don't think that $34.95 is very attractive AND I simply don't use enough of the suite to warrant it anymore... FWIW WB 6 seems to be a big improvement over WB 5. Like you, I found that 5 didn't play nice with my system and I could never get the developers to acknowledge that there was a problem with WB - they always insisted that it was my system. However, like you, removing it always made any problems I had disappear. WB 6 doesn't have those problems, for me, under WinXP Pro. Just a head's up... YMMV!

Nighted:
Or you could just create a patcher and replace every icon.

XPize Installer System

Here's an example using Tango.

tomos:
Or you could just create a patcher and replace every icon.

XPize Installer System

Here's an example using Tango.
-Nighted (October 10, 2007, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

sounds & looks interesting Nighted  :up:
would I have to use the two of those together, or is the Tango .exe independent so-to-speak??
(looks like it is but he dont say much about install)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version